Jokerit back to Liiga + finnish KHL players

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
It's 100% sure that they'll open Liiga soon, if there's Kiekko-Espoo and Jokerit in Mestis. Two historical teams from two largest cities, i don't think many would miss Sport or SaiPa if there's a chance for these teams to return to Liiga.

Happy to see that old Jokerit players are in this project. Who knows, maybe Selänne is willing to join later and guys like Filppula, Lehtonen etc.

It's one of the largest, if not the largest sports brand in Finland and many people are willing to put it back to where it belongs.

Reactions: Lackhalak

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't think an open circus is what they're looking for, but Olli Jokinen is one former NHLer very closely associated with Saarni and presumably would be welcomed to have a role in the future.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
It's 100% sure that they'll open Liiga soon, if there's Kiekko-Espoo and Jokerit in Mestis. Two historical teams from two largest cities, i don't think many would miss Sport or SaiPa if there's a chance for these teams to return to Liiga.

Happy to see that old Jokerit players are in this project. Who knows, maybe Selänne is willing to join later and guys like Filppula, Lehtonen etc.

It's one of the largest, if not the largest sports brand in Finland and many people are willing to put it back to where it belongs.

I don't know if Liiga is opening or if they just add more teams into it. We'll see in a couple of years for sure and if Jokerit plays in Mestis next season, it puts more pressure on Liiga to do something. It would be neat to see open Liiga once again. It would raise my interests towards the league.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
This new ownership group seems quite promising. There was a real threat to the Jokerit organisation and the junior teams and I guess this might be a way for guys like Lindell and Teräväinen to express their gratitude for the organisation where they played most of their junior hockey.

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
I don't know if Liiga is opening or if they just add more teams into it. We'll see in a couple of years for sure and if Jokerit plays in Mestis next season, it puts more pressure on Liiga to do something. It would be neat to see open Liiga once again. It would raise my interests towards the league.
Any word if they will be in Helsinki Halli (Hartwall)?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Any word if they will be in Helsinki Halli (Hartwall)?
No one in that group comes across as having particularly deep pockets, more so looks like the arena takeover didn't materialize and any bigger names linked to it are off the table for now.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
No matter what is right or wrong, Selänne in the project could make domestic companies hesistant. International companies might be more interested in investing, but Teemu's love for the American alt-right and seeming distaste for Finnish governmental policies might make companies who need support from the domestic market think twice. Not all of them, but for sure some of them.

Reactions: Jussi

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
No matter what is right or wrong, Selänne in the project could make domestic companies hesistant. International companies might be more interested in investing, but Teemu's love for the American alt-right and seeming distaste for Finnish governmental policies might make companies who need support from the domestic market think twice. Not all of them, but for sure some of them.

If Selänne joins the team I hope he doesn't become the face of the project. Although, it would be difficult to avoid 'cos the media likes him and unlike most Finns, Selänne loves to be the center of the attention. The way he has acted on social media has been embarrassing though and I think a lot of people would troll him on Twitter and he would get into stupid arguments. I don't know how he would handle criticism in front of the media.

Reactions: Jussi and mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Wouldn't it be awesome if Jay Baruchel and Seth Rogen stepped in as part-owners? Both huge hockey fans and this would be a unique opportunity to one-up Ryan Reynolds and that other guy:D

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Some recent signings:

D Saku Forsblom -97 (22/23 Liiga 19 0+0=0, Mestis 8 0+1=1)
C Alexander Forslund -01 (22/23 Mestis 20 5+17=22, U20SM 16 5+25=30)
RW Leevi Lemberg -99 (22/23 Mestis 51 19+20=39)
RW Väinö Sirkiä -01 (22/23 Liiga 11 2+0=2, U20SM 37 18+13=31)

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
As a Tappara fan, I have despised Jokerit ever since 2002 finals.
But I am still happy they are back. It will be great for Liiga. Big team and historical rival with some new added spice...Cant wait to see Tappara destroy them in Liiga playoffs in like 2025.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Roster shaping up, already looking like serious challengers:

G Severi Auvinen -01 (22/23 Mestis 19 .912, U20SM 1 .951)

D Saku Forsblom -97 (22/23 Liiga 19 0+0=0, Mestis 8 0+1=1)
D Santeri Haakana -03 (22/23 Mestis 3 0+1=1, U20SM 45 3+23=26)
D Jere Vertanen -99 (22/23 Mestis 51 17+32=49)

LW Emil Kuusla -05 (22/23 U20SM 36 18+17=35)

C Alexander Forslund -01 (22/23 Mestis 20 5+17=22, U20SM 16 5+25=30)
C Jesse Liuksiala -99 (22/23 Mestis 43 12+18=30)
C Erkka Seppälä -99 (22/23 Liiga 30 1+1=2, Mestis 23 4+21=25)

RW Leevi Lemberg -99 (22/23 Mestis 51 19+20=39)
RW Emil Oksanen -98 (22/23 Mestis 42 28+21=49, II-div. 1 1+1=2)
RW Väinö Sirkiä -01 (22/23 Liiga 11 2+0=2, U20SM 37 18+13=31)

Reactions: CPFC

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They'll attend the traditional one-day pre-season tournament in Rauma next Friday, playing group stage games against Ässät and Lukko as well as at least one placement game against one of TPS, SaiPa, or Sport.

Reactions: mattihp

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
When is the Liiga TV deal up for renewal? I think that will be the moment they open up and invite Kiekko-Espoo and Jokerit in, as those two make the league much more interesting for TV viewers than Saipa, Sport, Jukurit etc (just for examples sake)

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
Jokerit as a new organization is in a tricky spot as they are downgraded to 2nd league level (presumably for 2 seasons at minimum). Optimally they should been playing in Finnish sm-liiga already this season, profiting both sm-liiga and interest in finnish hockey in general. When you play in lower league for nothing to gain, i can see recreational fanbase which most of the fanbases consist of, might lose interest.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Jokerit as a new organization is in a tricky spot as they are downgraded to 2nd league level (presumably for 2 seasons at minimum). Optimally they should been playing in Finnish sm-liiga already this season, profiting both sm-liiga and interest in finnish hockey in general. When you play in lower league for nothing to gain, i can see recreational fanbase which most of the fanbases consist of, might lose interest.
I guess it’s fairly easy to assume this is all about TV money, Liiga won’t get more money if they add new teams mid contract, meaning less TV money for all.
The better attendances vs Jokerit would offset it a bit but not enough. Also they have to add Kiekko Espoo at the same time as it would be unfair for Jokerit to pass them.

That means small teams vote no as they need that TV money, and will do so for the duration of this contract. Problem is next contract the TV channels will demand Jokerit is in while bidding less then they pay now ( all pay channels doing really badly at the moment).

So Liiga teams have until the end of this contract to cut costs and get their budgets under control because the next TV contract is likely to be less and will need to be shared with +2 teams. Some teams will of course ignore these signs in the tea leaves, automatically assuming new contract will mean more money, and head into bankruptcy in the first few years of that next contract .

FINJuniors

Aug 22, 2022
Any forecasts on how Jokerit will do in Mestis 23/24? My take, looking at their roster, is a top 3-6 team. They will realize that Mestis is not only press events but actual heavy grind for staff and players. All in all, I wish them good luck but feel that a lot of people think they are automatically on top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad