Confirmed with Link: Johnny Hockey Signs with Columbus

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
This was touching as a non-Calgary fan. I can't imagine the challenge of missing funerals and the time to grieve with a family, but I guess that's part of the problem of living so far away even with flights and Columbus removes it. (Heck, there's not even a direct flight from Calgary to Philly most days!) The point about the families working full time also matters a lot and something I never considered: it's the difference between an easy weekend flight (~1.5 hours) and a bigger journey

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This was touching as a non-Calgary fan. I can't imagine the challenge of missing funerals and the time to grieve with a family, but I guess that's part of the problem of living so far away even with flights and Columbus removes it. (Heck, there's not even a direct flight from Calgary to Philly most days!) The point about the families working full time also matters a lot and something I never considered: it's the difference between an easy weekend flight (~1.5 hours) and a bigger journey
reported

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
*Also, if hes was ready to sign last yr, Tre single handedly destroyed this team

Penny pinching after two down seasons only to offer the moon after career seasons is the most Treliving thing ever.

The guy loves to sell low and buy high. He's doing the same thing with Mangiapane,

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Penny pinching after two down seasons only to offer the moon after career seasons is the most Treliving thing ever.

The guy loves to sell low and buy high. He's doing the same thing with Mangiapane,
Not a Treliving thing; it's a Murray Edwards thing. Flames have always been largely reactive as an organization regardless of who the GM is and it's why they'll continue to struggle.

Well run teams are generally proactive. They'd have the capacity to recognize that Gaudreau's "down" seasons just happen to coincide with sub-NHL caliber coaching and linemates and not flinch from signing him to a fair value deal last year when they had the chance.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Not a Treliving thing; it's a Murray Edwards thing. Flames have always been largely reactive as an organization regardless of who the GM is and it's why they'll continue to struggle.

Well run teams are generally proactive. They'd have the capacity to recognize that Gaudreau's "down" seasons just happen to coincide with sub-NHL caliber coaching and linemates and not flinch from signing him to a fair value deal last year when they had the chance.
That or the players refuse to resign during down seasons when they believe the same and have time to redeem themselves?

The letter from Johnny won me a bit over. I wish him the best and I do believe it is a fair reason for him to move. An 8 hour drive to family far beats a 36 hour one - especially after the poor health of his dad. Its just a shame he was not more upfront about it. If he had I think it would have been much more respected and possibly have given the opportunity to do a sign and trade. He could have significantly helped the organisation instead of stabbing us in the back for his own benefit. Actually, I think I will still boo.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Imagine if we kept Johnny and made the Hubby/Weegs trade.

This team would have been insane.
I had the same thought the other day.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Huberdeau-Dube-Mangiapane
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman

What could have been.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm still bitter. I don't want Gaudreau on the team any more... even with Huberdeau here. His 11th hour confession to Treliving shows a definitive lack of character and character is a huge contributing factor to winning a Cup.
He should have manned up and told Treliving the truth long before the 1 hr prior to the UFA deadline. And sorry, but his sob story just doesn't cut it with me. Maybe that works with his mom and the rest of his family but not me. And I'm not mad because he wanted to leave... players leave teams all the time. I'm mad about the chicken shit way he did it.

• Love
Reactions: DirtDiver

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm still bitter. I don't want Gaudreau on the team any more... even with Huberdeau here. His 11th hour confession to Treliving shows a definitive lack of character and character is a huge contributing factor to winning a Cup.
He should have manned up and told Treliving the truth long before the 1 hr prior to the UFA deadline. And sorry, but his sob story just doesn't cut it with me. Maybe that works with his mom and the rest of his family but not me. And I'm not mad because he wanted to leave... players leave teams all the time. I'm mad about the chicken shit way he did it.
1659845242205.gif

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Does anyone know why he wanted out of Calgary? I am born and raised in MN here and would much rather be in Calgary than many other markets. Did he just not like the city? Was it too cold for him? Is it a personal issue in your opinion that he will never let be known as to why he wanted to leave there?

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Does anyone know why he wanted out of Calgary? I am born and raised in MN here and would much rather be in Calgary than many other markets. Did he just not like the city? Was it too cold for him? Is it a personal issue in your opinion that he will never let be known as to why he wanted to leave there?
Likely a multitude of factors, and I’m not sure he’d ever openly admit to everything. His main reasoning was to be closer to home and be near parents and family for him and Meredith.

I’d suspect though, winters aren’t great as a kid from the coast (-40 sucks), there’s a lot of pressure to perform which can be tough to handle when you’re constantly ragged on if the teams not doing well, you get noticed around town A LOT which can add to the pressure, rumours of ownership having a lot of say could have caused the relationship to sour a bit, Canada generally has higher taxes than American states/cities - although Alberta has low provincial tax.

Im sure there’s more in there, but that’s a few off the top of my head that could have contributed

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

I really think it just comes down to that he wanted to be closer to family and that his wife wanted to work and raise their kid in the States. Less that he 'wanted out' and hated it here, more that Columbus was more appealing for those factors. It's not exactly a satisfying answer but a lot of times the simplest reason is the most accurate.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

The fact that it was to do with his family and their desire to have everyone close to home is well-publicized at this point. The question is more to do with why it took him until the last hour before the deadline to realize what his intentions were.

If I give him the benefit of the doubt, I get the sense that Johnny himself actually wanted to stay in Calgary, and believed he could sell his family on it. In this version of history, Gaudreau put a lot of effort into trying to convince his wife and his parents and didn't want to give up until he absolutely had to, but ultimately they refused to support the decision.

If I do not give him the benefit of the doubt, Gaudreau didn't like the thought of leaving the Flames high and dry and coming off as selfish, so he simply lived in denial of his family's feelings right up until he actually needed to make a decision.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The fact that it was to do with his family and their desire to have everyone close to home is well-publicized at this point. The question is more to do with why it took him until the last hour before the deadline to realize what his intentions were.

If I give him the benefit of the doubt, I get the sense that Johnny himself actually wanted to stay in Calgary, and believed he could sell his family on it. In this version of history, Gaudreau put a lot of effort into trying to convince his wife and his parents and didn't want to give up until he absolutely had to, but ultimately they refused to support the decision.

If I do not give him the benefit of the doubt, Gaudreau didn't like the thought of leaving the Flames high and dry and coming off as selfish, so he simply lived in denial of his family's feelings right up until he actually needed to make a decision.
Idk why it matters in the end when the outcome is the same. It’s not a personal spite at the fans after all…

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Do any questions matter?
I’m not saying that, but it seems to affect people’s perception towards the whole matter when the outcome would’ve been the same regardless. Don’t quite understand this (and the ensuing backlash from flames fans which has come off hypocritical at best).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad