Value of: Johnny Gaudreau at the deadline

Traptor

Mar 2, 2021
So much undervaluing of Gaudreau as a player. Career .94 p/gp over 7 years. Drives play. Never played with another exceptional linemate (outside of Lindholm where he put up 99 in 82). The worst year was .82 p/gp. All for 6,750,000 plus some retention or a negative contract back most likely. Johny was the worst thing to happen to the Flames because he made us drastically more competitive than we should've been.

Sure he's a UFA at the end of next year but if a team trades for him before TDL they get two runs with Johny, a career .94 p/gp play driving winger. A lot of you don't watch much of the flames and it shows.

But I regress because management will most likely only trade him laterally in a hockey deal if they do at all. If you trade Gaudreau for futures you're tanking this team for the foreseeable future and I can't see management doing that, unfortunately.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So much undervaluing of Gaudreau as a player. Career .94 p/gp over 7 years. Drives play. Never played with another exceptional linemate (outside of Lindholm where he put up 99 in 82). The worst year was .82 p/gp. All for 6,750,000 plus some retention or a negative contract back most likely. Johny was the worst thing to happen to the Flames because he made us drastically more competitive than we should've been.

Sure he's a UFA at the end of next year but if a team trades for him before TDL they get two runs with Johny, a career .94 p/gp play driving winger. A lot of you don't watch much of the flames and it shows.

But I regress because management will most likely only trade him laterally in a hockey deal if they do at all. If you trade Gaudreau for futures you're tanking this team for the foreseeable future and I can't see management doing that, unfortunately.
You must ask why is he undervalued??? He has been largely ineffective to his standards thr last couple seasons. He has become invisible alot of nights and especially in playoffs. He lacks the size some question the heart and the drive. His value is at an all time low league wide he woukd still fetch a good pc or two but not nearly what he could have and he really has no one to blame but hinself here. His value at the deadline is a late first a roster player or prospect

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think most agree that the Flames need to tear it down. He's got one more year left on a 6.75M contract. A lot of folks think it makes sense to wait until the off-season, but I think you get a lot more for him if you sell now, as potential buyers would have him for 2 playoff runs.

IMO he would absolutely thrive on a team with at least one true #1C, as he's never had that luxury. It's also likely he looks to move back east when be becomes a UFA, so east coast teams might value him more if they think they can extend him.

Teams that I think should be the most interested:

Pittsburgh
Boston
NYI

Who else? What should the flames be expecting in return if they try to move him at the deadline?
Isles are facing another cap crunch,so I think we will see them add a rental,not a $6.8m player,who makes it difficult to pay Pelech, Sorokin and Beau this off-season.

And really,I don't want JG,with his 5x5 playoff struggles. Getting into the playoffs isn't the aim. Making a deep run and having a serious shot at winning the SC is.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
As a Pens fan, one can hope the league is down on him because we don’t have the assets to land him if there’s a legit bidding war.

He’s not an answer for our PP woes or the style of player Burke is targeting, but in reality, Pens could really use another dynamic automatic zone entry type player.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If the Flames trade Gaudreau than they should be receiving a top prospect in return. If this guy goes to a team with a top center than he shows why he’s a top ten offensive player in the league.

byram
Lundell

those are the kinds of pieces that make sense and I think both Colorado and Florida have the depth to make that trade
We have the depth for that, but not the appetite. No chance in hell Gaudreau gets Byram.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
What about Gaudreau+Bennett to the Flyers for 2021 1st+Frost+Voracek? Looking to be a pick in the 10-15 range

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Ownership could always do whatever they want but they won't. Just like they won't be packaging up Johnny or taking on a gross contract. For the most part I think Ownership still believes in this group and still wants to win now. They'll move Johnny and Monahan for younger, lesser players, continuing to build as buyouts/bad contracts expire.

Of course they will do this, mediocrity needs to continues after all.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Of course they will do this, mediocrity needs to continues after all.
Exactly. The time to turn the page was last season. This team was struggling hard long before the Peters fiasco or covid. Theres absolutely no way Brodie and Hamonic should've ever been allowed to walk for nothing.

Reactions: viper0220

Traptor

Mar 2, 2021
Nice, let a player of his caliber walk. Awesome asset management.
If the flames retool in other ways (Somehow got Eichel or traded Monie for something and signed a solid UFA), they could make the playoffs next season, and Johny is a valuable asset for that. There's also no guarantee that Johny doesn't resign with the flames. They could also potentially move him laterally for someone like Forsberg. So it's not as black and white as you make it seem "Trade him for pennies or lose him and get nothing"

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
As a Pens fan, one can hope the league is down on him because we don’t have the assets to land him if there’s a legit bidding war.

He’s not an answer for our PP woes or the style of player Burke is targeting, but in reality, Pens could really use another dynamic automatic zone entry type player.
Zero chance in that. Too small and too soft . Not so sure Burke is targeting anyone besides Sam Bennett ...they pc they should have targeted was Eric stall.. big miss

Reactions: Confucius

Bond

May 10, 2012
If the flames retool in other ways (Somehow got Eichel or traded Monie for something and signed a solid UFA), they could make the playoffs next season, and Johny is a valuable asset for that. There's also no guarantee that Johny doesn't resign with the flames. They could also potentially move him laterally for someone like Forsberg. So it's not as black and white as you make it seem "Trade him for pennies or lose him and get nothing"
If Tre gets Eichel with Monahan as the main piece, I will personally build him a really crappy looking statue for the new arena lol

Reactions: DFF

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
To Pens: Gaudreau
To Flames: Gaudreau

Pens might be willing to add Jankowski to the deal too. You'll never get a better offer so I suggest take it and run.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Take as many high daft pucks and prospects as you can for him ,and call it a day...Calgary needs a refresh

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
A contender would likely be able to put him into a position to succeed instead the dumpster fire he's currently in.

Gadreau's biggest problem in the playoffs is that opposing defenders will just double team him and play rough. If you could put him on a team with a few other credible threats, it would totally prevent that.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Johnny wanting to move East is bullshit, if that is his priority he didn’t have to sign with the flames coming out of college

That said it may be happening now as the Flames is totally crap, he probably wants to leave, period

Don’t buy that leap in logic. Kid in young 20s gets offered NHL contract and takes it. Same kid in mid to late twenties not makes millions and misses being close to home. You act like he is a robot whose priorities can’t change over time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Don’t buy that leap in logic. Kid in young 20s gets offered NHL contract and takes it. Same kid in mid to late twenties not makes millions and misses being close to home. You act like he is a robot whose priorities can’t change over time.
So why don’t I see all NHLers moved home when they became FA? There are many from western Canada you know. Who is leaping logic?

I am not saying he won’t. He may or he may not it depends on many factors. Saying for sure he is leaving and going to the Flyers is bullshit

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It’s a meh draft year I think Calgary is better served holding onto their assets until after the expansion draft.

If you’re going to move guys like Gaudreau and Monahan I’d prefer it be for 2022 picks instead of 2021. Also teams are more likely to have holes to fill and cap room after the expansion draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad