Player Discussion Johnathan Kovacevic

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
He’s not worth a 5th or 6th.

He’s worth a 2nd round pick minimum for the following reasons

RD (most coveted position in Hockey)
Paid minimum salary for another year. All the teams can fit him.
Solid defensively and plays PK well
Still young (26 yo)
Low maintenance guy and great seize
I don't disagree with you, but have fun finding that team that will pay that!

And again, I think he is worth more to us this season + next especially at that contract than us adding another freaking pick!

• Love
Reactions: Chili and Tyson

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
They're professional athletes, they don't care what management is doing. They are playing for play-offs but management is managing for the future.
You have to think that some players would find that demoralizing,some are working their ass off yet management isn't doing anything to improve the current squad and actively weakening it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You have to think that some players would find that demoralizing,some are working their ass off yet management isn't doing anything to improve the current squad and actively weakening it.

In some sense, I think they are living in reality here and where they are in the standings is always going to dictate what happens.

But that being said, Basu had mentioned in his podcast that this seems like the last year they want to do that to Caufield/Suzuki where they are standing in front of cameras talking about a guy like Monahan/Toffoli/Lehkonen leaving.

There will be SOME trades that still happen, they have to make room for the youth coming up but it won't be a straight sell move like we've seen.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Still young (26 yo)
Agreed.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

tnq

Feb 16, 2004

Still young (26 yo)
So why do we have to trade him ?

Reactions: Paddyjack

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We don’t have to , but Barron , Reinbacher , Mailloux we need a spot in the next 2 years .
I think Barron is going to be moved sooner than we think. Don't get me wrong I like Justin Barron but Reinbacher and Mailloux will make him expendable very soon.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't see huge upside in trading him at that age TBH, feels like he's more valuable to us than to other teams, especially if one or more of the better young dmen end up being traded anyway. If it's a Kulak type return, MAYBE, but I'd still not see much of a point.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
In some sense, I think they are living in reality here and where they are in the standings is always going to dictate what happens.

But that being said, Basu had mentioned in his podcast that this seems like the last year they want to do that to Caufield/Suzuki where they are standing in front of cameras talking about a guy like Monahan/Toffoli/Lehkonen leaving.

There will be SOME trades that still happen, they have to make room for the youth coming up but it won't be a straight sell move like we've seen.
For sure they know where they stand and what the plan is going forward. This management team was burdened from the previous one and it's taking time to clean it up.

What intrigues me is that that prior to the Christmas break,Montreal was only 5 or so points from a playoff spot.Not to be argumentative but the devils advocate,had they dedicated to icing the best roster possible and making a trade to get a top player and sat or waived deadwood,how would it have played out and how would they have fared.

I know they have a plan but I prefer playoff hockey than not. And tanking,they did that last season with debatable methods and results and this season is similar.

Next season should substantially be a marked improvement,if they can stay healthy and intact for a change. They have now a solid line with Nick,Slaf and Cole. Dach in the lineup and they should have another very decent line as well. With the abundance of assets that they have. that can cover a bottom 6 and moves to be made and the defense will be that much more experienced.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
We don’t have to , but Barron , Reinbacher , Mailloux we need a spot in the next 2 years .
we don't need Baron, Reinbacher, Mailloux to be 5rd or 6rd defender. If they can not win the spot in top 4, trade them. Do you think Barron is better than Kovacevic in 3rd pair ? I don't think so

Reactions: Chili and dcyhabs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
we don't need Baron, Reinbacher, Mailloux to be 5rd or 6rd defender. If they can not win the spot in top 4, trade them. Do you think Barron is better than Kovacevic in 3rd pair ? I don't think so
It depends. If you have three Kovacevic on your bottom 3 then you should be looking at upgrading at least one. I don't see the offense in Struble and having him along with Kova and Xhekaj would make a very weak bottom 3 offensively speaking. Could work without any injuries but you expose yourself to some problems if you got injuries in your top 3. It's a case of been there done that. If you have too many 15 points guys in your defense it's problematic.

Also those kids are unlikely to win a spot from the AHL. They'll eventually have to be tried at the NHL level. There's two options. You wait for an injury or you free some space. If you think Kova is so good that's it's worth keeping a skilled kid in the AHL then i'm happy you're not our GM. Kova is a disposable body. He's nothing special and a good GM can easily replace him. His best attribute for a cup contending team is his contract and this will disappear at the end of next season i.e. before we are ready to win.

Last edited:

eurodin

Nov 1, 2017
100%. and we need to cash in for Savard. Is he even worth anything to a contender? We really need top 3 talent. We have too many 4-5-6-7

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I don't disagree with you, but have fun finding that team that will pay that!

And again, I think he is worth more to us this season + next especially at that contract than us adding another freaking pick!

Well I remember same comments about kulak , and we know how that ended up

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Kovasevic is not getting traded, a competent Dman who makes under 800K.
It's about asset management and selling high at one point. This dude was sitting in press box at different times this year. Someone has to be #7 at some point but those guys are interchangeable. He's proven his ceiling is bottom pair, can't handle more than that.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's about asset management and selling high at one point. This dude was sitting in press box at different times this year. Someone has to be #7 at some point but those guys are interchangeable. He's proven his ceiling is bottom pair, can't handle more than that.
Habs need low paid players that can play. If nothing else he is a great #7. Why trade for another pick? How many friggin picks do you need?

You need players and Kovasevic can play.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I would trade both Matheson and Savard before Kovacevic. Partially because the return on those two should significantly higher and at their ages, they won't be in the prime by the time this team is ready to compete. Sell high before they turn Gallagheresque.

Kovacevic is still young enough that he could be part of a competitive team, is making very little, while being a hulking RD that can handle himself and plays well enough to deserve a spot. It might be as 7th defenseman but I think that is a role he would be happy to occupy.

Reactions: eurodin and Tyson

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Habs need low paid players that can play. If nothing else he is a great #7. Why trade for another pick? How many friggin picks do you need?

You need players and Kovasevic can play.
It's better having an extra 3rd than losing this guy on waivers next season or overpaying him for what he brings. With Robidas I'm not worried he can get some fringe players to play competently.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
First I would talk with the agent to what are the expectations for the next contract. If it is reasonable for a 3rd pairing D, I wouldn’t trade him.
If it is a bit expensive than I see what we can get, but I’m not trading him unless a team is overpaying big time. Any NHLer at that price for 2 playoff should be valuable.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's better having an extra 3rd than losing this guy on waivers next season or overpaying him for what he brings. With Robidas I'm not worried he can get some fringe players to play competently.
Perhaps but I doubt he gets waived. 7 D make the roster.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
First I would talk with the agent to what are the expectations for the next contract. If it is reasonable for a 3rd pairing D, I wouldn’t trade him.
If it is a bit expensive than I see what we can get, but I’m not trading him unless a team is overpaying big time. Any NHLer at that price for 2 playoff should be valuable.

I think we should go into. Ext season with at most 6 or 7 of the following 8 dmen.

Matheson - Savard
Struble - Guhle
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris - Kovacevic

Plus, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, and Trudeau in Laval.

That means one or two have to be moved. Who are you moving? I say ideally Hartis as nd Kovacevic. But it depends on who gets what kind of offers.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I think we should go into. Ext season with at most 6 or 7 of the following 8 dmen.

Matheson - Savard
Struble - Guhle
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris - Kovacevic

Plus, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, and Trudeau in Laval.

That means one or two have to be moved. Who are you moving? I say ideally Hartis as nd Kovacevic. But it depends on who gets what kind of offers.
Matheson, Savard, Harris in that order

• Love
Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille