John Tortorella & Danny Briere Flyers end of the season press conference

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Sorry, outside of York, who made what strides?

Frost didn't do anything we hadn't seen from him before.

Farabee ran into the same old consistency issues, and even before them he wasn't producing at a higher rate than he had years ago in his sophomore season.

Cates regressed to who he actually is.

Poehling was the same Poehling he was in Pittsburgh, he just got way more icetime.

Tippett made the big leap from being a 27-goal scorer to being a 28-goal scorer, still streaky and dumb in his own end.

Brink, Foerster, and Zamula were all rookies at the NHL level without a baseline—so if you want to say those guys, sure.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sorry, outside of York, who made what strides?

Frost didn't do anything we hadn't seen from him before.

Farabee ran into the same old consistency issues, and even before them he wasn't producing at a higher rate than he had years ago in his sophomore season.

Cates regressed to who he actually is.

Poehling was the same Poehling he was in Pittsburgh, he just got way more icetime.

Tippett made the big leap from being a 27-goal scorer to being a 28-goal scorer. Oh shit.

Brink, Foerster, and Zamula were all rookies at the NHL level without a baseline—so if you want to say those guys, sure.

It's not "being negative" when it's "a reasonable and accurate assessment of what happened."

What you do here is a positive thing. I thank you for the gift of your positivity.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i can't see where they think they are in good shape with no real talent coming and no real cap flexibility

someone needs to save them from themselves or the team really needs new ownership

really seems they are betting the bank on re-signing TK to a foolish contract which he can't say no to(unless he really sees it and wants out) and expecting MM to be a franchise savior like Lindros was

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The most dire thing we've learned is that nobody is on the hot seat and it isn't even close to that yet. These people have a stranglehold on the franchise and they know it.

Hilferty, and Comcast don't have a clue.

It's an ownership thing, and (self pat) - I've said that for years.

You aren't getting anywhere unless Comcast is addressed.

It's pretty hopeless being a fan right now tbh. Unfortunate, but another 5 years of this purgatory will cause another round of changes in the FO. That's coming. Who will be the new faces? Shall see, because Comcast has now utterly failed with 2 regimes.

They aren't in a league where other teams don't exist, or develop. Jersey will be better - and they will be in the same spot for the next few seasons hoping for a WC spot at best. Thankfully, we are back to the realm where goaltending can sink a season, and I'm wishing it happens.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
There is something intricately disgusting about knowing they view the Islanders making the playoffs as justification for their "build from the 4th line out" lusts.
Gotta dance with the girls that bring ya.

Farabee frost Foerster
Laughton poehling Cates
Is a hell of a bottom six.
Tippet cooter brink just have to make sure they stay there.

We have tk and four first rounders to get two guys to play with Michkov .
We also have to take the toys away goodbye to dlo/Hathaway and Atkinson. Farabee and poehling are veterans now and you need to make room for them to lead

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hilferty, and Comcast don't have a clue.

It's an ownership thing, and (self pat) - I've said that for years.

You aren't getting anywhere unless Comcast is addressed.

It's pretty hopeless being a fan right now tbh. Unfortunate, but another 5 years of this purgatory will cause another round of changes in the FO. That's coming. Who will be the new faces? Shall see, because Comcast has now utterly failed with 2 regimes.

They aren't in a league where other teams don't exist, or develop. Jersey will be better - and they will be in the same spot for the next few seasons hoping for a WC spot at best. Thankfully, we are back to the realm where goaltending can sink a season, and I'm wishing it happens.

Hilferty going on about being a childhood fan was not good. It always meant he'd be bowing to his youth heroes.

Is there any team in sports held hostage by, and destroyed by, their past more than the Flyers?

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gotta dance with the girls that bring ya.

Farabee frost Foerster
Laughton poehling Cates
Is a hell of a bottom six.
Tippet cooter brink just have to make sure they stay there.

We have tk and four first rounders to get two guys to play with Michkov .
We also have to take the toys away goodbye to dlo/Hathaway and Atkinson. Farabee and poehling are veterans now and you need to make room for them to lead

They're trying to build from the 4th line out. That's like going to the local prison to seek your date to the dance.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Hilferty going on about being a childhood fan was not good. It always meant he'd be bowing to his youth heroes.

Is there any team in sports held hostage by, and destroyed by, their last more than the Flyers?
i think every other team celebrates their legends but doesn't embrace them anywhere near like the Flyers do

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Utah is gonna be better than us first and probably the new if/when Arizona team lol

Compare the Flyers to the teams that finished below them.

Sure Matvei is an exciting prospect to have, but is anyone here not happy to trade the prospect pool for say Ottawa's younsters? Arizona's knowing Keller is established? Montreal, Columbus, San Jose, and Chicago are in a much more exciting place than the Flyers.

This team is an utter joke, and the most boring franchise in the NHL. Even Calgary seems to finally be getting it.

Reactions: Amorgus and trostol

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
"probably not gonna throw a lot of money at a free agent"

"if there's a trade that makes sense/hockey trade we are open for business"
I always find that funny when they need to clarify something with "hockey trade". no really a hockey trade as apposed to a baseball or football trade? We helped the Eagles trade up to #15 by throwing in Bobby Brink, we're getting Travis Kelce back to do play-by-play.

Reactions: Nizzle and Amorgus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Is there any team in sports held hostage by, and destroyed by, their last more than the Flyers?
I was told on "good" authority that having a fan at the top meant that they understood the sport and would understand the important things like what a Power Play is and what not.

Rocky Thompson still being employed tells me otherwise.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They're trying to build from the 4th line out. That's like going to the local prison to seek your date to the dance.
based on what?

I was told on "good" authority that having a fan at the top meant that they understood the sport and would understand the important things like what a Power Play is and what not.

Rocky Thompson still being employed tells me otherwise.
shows 100% who is running things at the nhl level

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
based on what?

shows 100% who is running things at the nhl level
I did get some "try me" towards Briere vibes from Tortorella in today's press conference to show that he's the boss but i'm also heavily biased that Torts is the Devil.

"I'm totally in until Danny says get the hell out of here," "you've got the wrong coach here then if we're gonna be hugging" and "those are the decisions my management has to make if they think I made a mistake and show me the door so be it."

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
In response on thoughts about add some strength to this roster, most of you guys propose sit and wait when Michkov arrives.
Basically today Brier said the same things. So why you are unhappy now?

You wanted true rebuild with add some draft capital. Rocky Thompson and his PP coaching the best way to miss playoffs again and get lottery pick.

So the same question again: why you are unhappy now?

Reactions: GKJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad