Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part V (Mod Warning in OP)

Does JT stay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Well then your an idiot. Lose your franchise player for nothing really smart business there. Yeee nobody trades there franchise center. Only thing franchise centers don't leave via fa unless your the islanders of course. Whatever they could have got a huge haul for JT instead they played big time by his agent and JT. I was freaking right was Perferial you just to ****en stubborn to admit it.

Tone down the insults man

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Another thing that makes it worse is Tavares know the history here and all the BS the fans have dealt with. He has a right to leave but throw us a bone and let Lou know so he can start making moves.

PDCIslander41

May 22, 2018
the fact that he hasn't let any of the 6 teams know they are out is the most laughable and sad thing. There is no way he feels all 6 teams are equal in his mind. Every minute this goes on, the more I respect LeBron for having a set time to announce at least.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
the fact that he hasn't let any of the 6 teams know they are out is the most laughable and sad thing. There is no way he feels all 6 teams are equal in his mind. Every minute this goes on, the more I respect LeBron for having a set time to announce at least.

JT is not like that... he is considering the Isles still, there is something that he is waiting to happen before it is official

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
You done hurling insults?

1) He hasn't made a decision yet.
2) I still don't believe the haul would've been too great, at the deadline.
3) If there was a chance he'd re-sign, that's a chance worth taking to me. Where are we getting another Tavares?

Monday morning quarterbacking isn't exactly something I like to do. If he leaves, you'd have been right given the outcome and I have no problem admitting that. It's about the decision I would've made at the time.
It's not Monday morning qb when I said we should trade him after he refused to sign an extension last summer and wanted to play the year out. I predicted this would happen so yeee I'm freaking pissed right now. Losing JT for nothing when you have no idea if he was going to sign is not worth I don't care what you say. Obviously the islanders were playing Russian Roulette and lost big time. You don't take that kind of gamble as now you have set your franchise back big time.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I also question these stupid “ insiders” who keep saying we’ll know by last night. We’ll know by this morning. Tavares is going to start letting teams know this morning/after noon.

f*** Brisson because all he has to do is come out and say there is no time table for a decision. Instead everyone is all antsy and going crazy waiting for a stupid announcement that might not come until mid July.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It's not Monday morning qb when I said we should trade him after he refused to sign an extension last summer and wanted to play the year out. I predicted this would happen so yeee I'm freaking pissed right now. Losing JT for nothing when you have no idea if he was going to sign is not worth I don't care what you say. Obviously the islanders were playing Russian Roulette and lost big time. You don't take that kind of gamble as now you have set your franchise back big time.

So Kreskin did you know that the Isles would land Toronto's GM with 3 cups under his belt and the cup winning coach who consistently gets teams over 100 points... if your crystal ball said that, then I will assume the position

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Another thing that makes it worse is Tavares know the history here and all the BS the fans have dealt with. He has a right to leave but throw us a bone and let Lou know so he can start making moves.

What moves?

Last thing i want i LL trading top prospects to make up for JT's absence.

There's big holes on this team.

Last thing i want is LL trying to make a quick fix

Reactions: periferal

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
Ye it's gonna get worse I'm freaking fuming right now! We the islanders got played big time by Brisson and JT. It never should have got to this point but Garth Freaking Snow ****ed us big time by letting JT dictate to the franchise what to do.
If you're this worked up just stay off the boards, man... The name calling is uncalled for.

Reactions: majormet

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Smyth, Blake, Parenteau, Vanek, Neilsen, Okposo and it looks like Tavares.
Snow's legacy of failure.
yup, all Snows fault, Tavares kept saying how much he wanted to stay when Snow was here, now Snow is gone and it looks he is gone as well, doesn't that mean the Islanders should have kept Snow?

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
So Kreskin did you know that the Isles would land Toronto's GM with 3 cups under his belt and the cup winning coach who consistently gets teams over 100 points... if your crystal ball said that, then I will assume the position
You like playing Russian Roulette? I certainly don't.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Opinions are allowed to differ. I take that gamble every time The return would never be as great as keeping jt, and the franchise isn’t set back as far as you are making it seem.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
We really should have traded him at the deadline and announced our intentions to pursue him as a free agent. Considering the arms race at the trade deadline that was kicked off with Brassard to Pittsburgh, we really could have hurt another team trading rental Tavares.

But no, we kept him. Like we kept Okposo, Blake, and seemingly all the rest.

I have respect for players like Panarin who at least give a heads up "hey, I might be leaving as a free agent" a year removed to let Columbus figure something out. AT LEAST tell us at the deadline you're likely gonna go to the interview period.

He requested not to be traded.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
If you can, go back and watch some past Islanders games. Watch as the Tavares line struggles to get the puck out of the defensive zone, and look for Lee! JT, Bails and the 2 defensemen on the ice, don't even look to Lee's wing to escape the zone. On the rare occasions they're forced to put it around the boards on Lee's side, his poor skating ability makes is easy for the opposing teams Dman to keep the puck in. Watch as JT and Bails go through the neutral zone, they try carrying it in, if they're forced to pass it to Lee, he can't skate it in, so he quickly gets rid of it and shoots it in, at which point the opposing Dman retrieve the puck and carry it back out. As surprising as this may sound, JT would have much better numbers with someone other then Lee. Remember Moulson? He was a 30-35 goal scorer, away from JT he's was awful. Lee is a bigger Moulson. Please watch Lee away from the puck, it will piss you off! I'll point to +- again. Tavares had 37 goals and he was a -12, Bailey had 18 goals and he was a -20, and Lee had 40 goals and he was -25. With that goal output there's something going on to have such high minuses, and it's not JT or Bailey. It's like their line is playing shorthanded (which to some degree they were).

Priceless insight. Again we can only hope he is moved or leaves on his own next year. Fans have endured enough.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
It's ok everyone. We just had a big family style dinner at Carmine's in DC. Without exaggeration the best Italian food I have had ever.
In my food coma I have seen the light. JT stays . Maybe it's battered wife syndrome for him but regardless he says.

LGI

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What moves?

Last thing i want i LL trading top prospects to make up for JT's absence.

There's big holes on this team.

Last thing i want is LL trying to make a quick fix

Why? Wtf how do we become competitive? I promise you Barzal Dobson and Wahlstrom won’t be traded. Those are our top young players.

If we get Ryan O’Rielly and have Barzal and him as a 1-2 punch it’s pretty damn good. O’Rielly obviously isn’t the scorer Tavares is but he’s a beast defensively and puts up points. He’s also signed.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Sure, but IF this is going down the way a lot of folks on this board think it is going down — asked not to be traded, said all the right things about wanting to stay and about trying to make it work, then hangs the team up until the very last second and walks — it’s fair to say that that’s not very upstanding business behavior, it’s snakey.

Do the Islanders bear some blame for (1) stinking and (2) not saying “great, you don’t want to be traded, sign your contract or you’re getting traded anyway?” Also yes.

The whole "well, you can trade me at the deadline, but I doubt I'd come back to the Islanders again. If you want any chance at keeping me, I'll lazily skate out the remaining games and then maybe you have a chance of keeping me".

That is simply holding the franchise hostage and putting the management - even Snow - in a situation where John wins no matter what and there's now a sizable chance of us getting completely screwed over by not following the traditional, established, "teams that aren't going to make the playoffs trade UFAs for futures" protocols.

We could have probably even gone full Ottawa and traded Tavares+Ladd to Vegas for a package built around Cody Glass/Branstromm and their 1st, which we could have used on Veleno. Two top prospects (++), Ladd's contract off the books, but instead we get more feet dragging.

isles93

Jul 8, 2006
New York
I can not believe in 2018 the age of social media at 8pm on the eve of free agency we have no idea where John Tavares the 8th best player in the nhl is going to choose to play. If only he was as good at winning as he was at keeping secrets the drive for 5 would be over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad