• No, he will sign elsewhere as UFA

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • No, he will be traded

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
In 200 days, one of the top superstars in the game will be an UFA. There were serious rumblings about NYI losing him due to them not being a contender and the amount of $ he would command as a UFA. With NYI now seemingly being in contention, you have to wonder how that changes things.

Do you think he'll re-sign with the Islanders? Just taking a peak at HFNYI, they seem to have second thoughts on whether Tavares will sign back with the club and even guaging what his trade value might be. I can't see them trading him when having the team season they are having. Is there any possibility they let him walk and hit UFA?

What kind of deal will he sign? You'd have to think it's close to 9-10 AAV over 7-8 years. Would you even give him that kind of deal if your team could sign him?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
As someone who usually thinks that big name free agents will resign, and that it is mostly media driven the thought that they might leave. I legitimately think Tavares will leave. He won't be traded. But I absolutely could see him finding a new home for himself come July.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's not just gonna depend on whether they're contenders or not, he wants to know that they're going to have a building to play in for the length of his contract.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's been pretty effective this year. Very productive and he is making my prediction of being a top 5 scorer in the NHL before the year looking good thus far. Saying that, I can see some logic in the NY Isles walking away from him if he does not take a home town discount. I would be worried signing JT to a long term 10+M contract at his age as much as I admire him as a player and pro.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I'd like to trade him tbh. We could get a haul and I am not liking his game, despite him scoring a lot (bad turnovers annoy me mainly). Besides, even if we trade him at the deadline he could theoretically re-sign with us. I don't want to hand out such a huge chunk of money to one player mainly. If he were willing to sign for a stamkos-like deal that would change everything.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
90% chance he stays. If you know the type of person he is, he will do what he can to work it out on the island and finish what he started.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am on the side it's all about the arena, if the arena is not an issue I am fairly certain he signs with the Islanders. If the arena is an issue then I am not so sure. My guess though no matter where he signs he won't take hometown discount like his last contract

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
New York Islanders will offer 8 years 90 million 11 250 000 per season John Tavares will resign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad