Tribute John Muckler passes away at the age of 86

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Very sad news. Hopefully he was able to be with family in his last days.

Oooph, I literally just finished a post poking fun at the Lee over Kopitar pick in the WJC thread...now I feel bad.

Truthfully, he was probably the only G.M we ever had with the gonads to make anything happen, he helped build a team that got us to the ECF, and then the SCF. Also made a great hire to bring in Bryan Murray as coach.

God bless.

Reactions: Stylizer1

h2

Mar 26, 2002
He had the best sweater vests. This organization seemed uncomfortable about even talking about the Stanley Cup before he was hired as our GM. Dude had swag and imparted that onto our organization while he was here.

RIP.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One of the big names when we were a respectable organization alongside Murray, Mlakar and Johnston.

Also that hilarious GIF when he is visibly shaking with anger in the press box at some late goal against.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
He had the best sweater vests. This organization seemed uncomfortable about even talking about the Stanley Cup before he was hired as our GM. Dude had swag and imparted that onto our organization while he was here.

RIP.

I will always remember when he first arrived, he made it clear that it was cup or bust (especially after all of those early playoff exits), he would always say "you will never win the cup, if you can't talk about winning the cup".

I think we made the ECF in his first year as G.M if I am not mistaken, and we were literally one game away from winning the cup that year (yes I know, still had to play the finals, but we would have destroyed Anaheim that year).

Reactions: h2

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sad news. Best GM Ottawa ever had. The two best coaches Ottawa had, best teams - most importantly it was easily the best time to be a Sens fan under his stewardship. And he turned the reputation of the team.

Rest In Peace

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Horrible news. He was a strong leader and GM of the franchise. Those pizza line years were a lot of fun to watch.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
RIP

Only GM to get the SENS to the Finals. Look at that beautiful Logo :sarcasm:

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 2.55.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I remember when he was fired he said ‘Melnyck gave me a million reasons but they were all wrong’ how prophetic that would turn out to be.

Reactions: Smeddy

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He gets a lot of flack, but he wanted to win when he was here and tried very hard to make it happen. We haven't really had a convivincing winning culture since then even though it didn't work out.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
RIP Muckler. A bit of revisionist history going on with his record here. He let Chara walk, traded Havlat for nothing never made a good TDL acquisition and of course the Arnason fiasco. The only good move was hiring Murray.

Reactions: bert and Masked

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
RIP Muckler. A bit of revisionist history going on with his record here. He let Chara walk, traded Havlat for nothing never made a good TDL acquisition and of course the Arnason fiasco. The only good move was hiring Murray.

Signing Hasek was a good move as well. At the time the Hossa for Heatley trade was a winner too.

Reactions: gab6511

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Signing Hasek was a good move as well. At the time the Hossa for Heatley trade was a winner too.
Hossa for Heatley was a mixed bag both at the time and in retrospect. It opened up financial flexibility while maintaining a similar caliber asset, but set the framework for Chara's departure. Both players were great after the trade, though Hossa's career had more longevity and Heatley came with more headaches.

Hasek was a great signing, too bad there was a lockout robbing us of a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad