News Article: John McDonough optimistic about upcoming season

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
now this troubles me, while i am confident of the improvement on the team and even further success going into the playoff.

now i just hope that freaking idiot don't jinx me.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Nobody here likes McCub or care what he has to say.
I would say the people who dont like Stan should care. If he talks with higher expectations that's more reason for them to feel he would fire Stan if they're a bad team again.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would say the people who dont like Stan should care. If he talks with higher expectations that's more reason for them to feel he would fire Stan if they're a bad team again.
thing is i do not want SB fired. i just want his job to be split in two.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I liked what McDonough had to say, especially the part about not wanting Stan to make "win now" moves to save his job. We might not have Boqvist in the system right now if Stan started to make win now moves last summer

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Of course McMoney is going to say these things. Probably spewed the same stuff before the convention the last few years as well. No one cares, go back to your office and leave hockey to the hockey guys.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Eagerly awaiting for the state of the organization addresses by Crane Kenney for the Cubs and Ted Phillips of the Bears. Once the business side starts meddling with the personnel / operational part of a sports organization, we're in trouble. They need to set annual budget and then let the sports side do their job without comment.

This is how you end up extending Seabrook for eternity.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Eagerly awaiting for the state of the organization addresses by Crane Kenney for the Cubs and Ted Phillips of the Bears. Once the business side starts meddling with the personnel / operational part of a sports organization, we're in trouble. They need to set annual budget and then let the sports side do their job without comment.

This is how you end up extending Seabrook for eternity.
It's also apparently how the Hawks ended up with Q replacing Savard, Hossa over Havalt, and several other positive moves. I dont want him making influences but the absolutism and ignoring known impacts of the past always is bothering.

I also dont think there is any reason to really connect seabrook to managment influence. Theres never been anything actually connecting it. Just fans throwing it out there.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's also apparently how the Hawks ended up with Q replacing Savard, Hossa over Havalt, and several other positive moves. I dont want him making influences but the absolutism and ignoring known impacts of the past always is bothering.

I also dont think there is any reason to really connect seabrook to managment influence. Theres never been anything actually connecting it. Just fans throwing it out there.
Are you assuming that McDonough hired Q ... or are you guessing like fans said McDonough extended Seabrook? Was not Bowman with the Hawks when Q was hired, Hossa was signed, and other positive moves?

I have no issues if Rocky wants to switch GMs after the season. It's his team and every organization should be thoroughly evaluated annually. An owner should be involved. They should question the long term strategic direction of the franchise.

That said, what makes you think McDonough is a "hockey" guy? From his marketing experience with the Cubs? There's no doubt he's done an excellent job for the Hawks promoting the product. Does that make him knowledgeable about personnel decisions on the hockey side? Everyone can get lucky. This is about running a successful sustainable organization.

If Bowman does not meet expectations, Rocky can terminate him. He can look to his confidantes (including McDonough) vetting the next GM. However, what's the point of McDonough talking to the media before the season. Is it a marketing ploy to tell the fans we "expect" more? Is it a way for McDonough to flex his muscles publicly? Does he actually know how to evaluate hockey talent? What is the point? We already know Bowman's seat is warm.

Let the GM and coach do their job. When owners / business side gets involved publicly on hockey operation, it just gets messy. The communication gets blurred. Business influences personnel decisions and people start playing the blame game.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Care to explain what you’re talking about?
never been a fan of his trades..... but again i will preach on his scouting and yeah outside Dach, he been really good with drafting.

so the GM position could be a 2 headed office, 1 for trades and business 2 another for scouting and drafting.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But...face it...even kindergartners are more optimistic about the Hawks this season compared to last 2 seasons of depth issues...
So sort of a well.." duh".... from MCD on thinking Hawks will be foidcthis season.. So this thread not surprising g or nothing new ...no newsxatcall..it would be something if instead somebody asked MCD really tough question like ...what will Hawks do if there is a new CBA coming after this season and they award 1 or 2 Compliance Buyouts...how much $$$$ would Hawks spend to buy out certain over 35 year old geezer contracts just taking spots from the yutes we want to have playing significant monutes by then?Notice I did not mention who but we all know who...It would just be interesting to hear MCD state that Rocky would have no problem spending mucho millions to clear the decks of such albatross contracts of over the cliff or not long for it player contracts when the CBO opportunities arise which could be before or after the 2020/21 season depending on when the new CBA gets done (if as we all assume there will be early termination notoce determined this September of the current CBA andthis cirrentvsesson of 2019/20 is played.
Course ...MCD might be mon'comiittal and say we will cross that bridge if and when that happens.. or he could tell us that no way will Rocky spend 1 penny to remove a contract with lengthy terms of 2 to 4 more years remaining..but I doubt MCD would ever say that because it would send Hawks fans into despair .

Crow

May 19, 2014
never been a fan of his trades..... but again i will preach on his scouting and yeah outside Dach, he been really good with drafting.

so the GM position could be a 2 headed office, 1 for trades and business 2 another for scouting and drafting.
What in the world makes you think dach is a mistake already?!

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
What in the world makes you think dach is a mistake already?!
i never said he was a mistake now did i ??

what i said outside Dach ....... now i would have said that about any player that was recently drafted. i hope he is the real thing but i would like for him to succeed before anointing him anything other then a promising player.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
i never said he was a mistake now did i ??

what i said outside Dach ....... now i would have said that about any player that was recently drafted. i hope he is the real thing but i would like for him to succeed before anointing him anything other then a promising player.

It was very much implied in your comment.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This certainly seems like you don’t think Dach was a good pick.

He was rated 6 by most scouting experts, he was picked at 3, so for him not to think it was the best pick is blasphemy now? I swear the Stan homers here are just relentless, let the guy think what he wants, he could easily be right and Byram or Turcotte be better than Dach...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He was rated 6 by most scouting experts, he was picked at 3, so for him not to think it was the best pick is blasphemy now? I swear the Stan homers here are just relentless, let the guy think what he wants, he could easily be right and Byram or Turcotte be better than Dach...

where was debrincat ranked by the scouting experts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad