Value of: John Gibson to the Leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
People talk about changing the core because the Leafs lost to Tampa, I don't think that's needed I think the problem was and has been for months inconsistent goaltending, The Leafs lost to Tampa bay because they could not get 2 good games in a row out of Jack Campbell.

After winning Game 1 Jack was awful in game 2, he then stole game 3, but proceeded to suck in game 4, he arguably stole game 5, but allowed 4 in game 6 and was good in game 7.

in the end he had a 3.15 GAA and a 897 save% that's not good enough and it cost the Leafs their season.

so I believe it is time to go get an established proven #1, the ducks appear to be in a rebuild meaning Gibson may be on the market.

I know his numbers have been down for a couple years but I also know the Ducks haven't been great.

The Leafs have been good, VERY good but goaltending has held them back.

I believe Gibson fixes that

what's the price to bring him in beyond the 2022 1st? because that's a given that is absolutely on the table.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
People talk about changing the core because the Leafs lost to Tampa, I don't think that's needed I think the problem was and has been for months inconsistent goaltending, The Leafs lost to Tampa bay because they could not get 2 good games in a row out of Jack Campbell.

After winning Game 1 Jack was awful in game 2, he then stole game 3, but proceeded to suck in game 4, he arguably stole game 5, but allowed 4 in game 6 and was good in game 7.

in the end he had a 3.15 GAA and a 897 save% that's not good enough and it cost the Leafs their season.

so I believe it is time to go get an established proven #1, the ducks appear to be in a rebuild meaning Gibson may be on the market.

I know his numbers have been down for a couple years but I also know the Ducks haven't been great.

The Leafs have been good, VERY good but goaltending has held them back.

I believe Gibson fixes that

what's the price to bring him in beyond the 2022 1st? because that's a given that is absolutely on the table.
Probably something like Knies, 2022 1st (not particularly valuable at 28th OA), Sandin and 2023 2nd.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Gibson when motivated is a top 5 goalie easily imo. He won't be motivated playing on the Ducks so yeah.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Campbell was not the problem, stop it.

3.15 GAA 897 save% never put together 2 good games in a row yes he was.

Jack is to inconsistent to be a #1 that's the reality I know fans don't like that because we have the cult of Jack Campbell in our fan base, just like we once had the cult of James Reimer because people love them because they are nice guys so it doesn't matter if they suck.

The reality is though neither guy was good enough to be a #1.

Reimer wasn't then

Campbell isn't now being a nice guy doesn't change that

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He was outplayed by Vasilevski in critical moments. He wasn’t the only problem but he was part of the bigger problem.
He absolutely was not. Campbell was the significantly better goalie that series, we did not lose because of goaltending. Out of everything that happened in the series, goaltending was the least of our concerns.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He absolutely was not. Campbell was the significantly better goalie that series, we did not lose because of goaltending. Out of everything that happened in the series, goaltending was the least of our concerns.
Vasilevski is still playing Campbell is not. It’s that simple. When it mattered Vasilevski won, Campbell lost. Vasilevski has won multiple Cups, Campbell has won nothing. If the Leafs don’t improve on Campbell they will continue to be right where they are today.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Jack is to inconsistent to be a #1 that's the reality I know fans don't like that because we have the cult of Jack Campbell in our fan base, just like we once had the cult of James Reimer because people love them because they are nice guys so it doesn't matter if they suck.

Reimer wasn't then

Campbell was phenomenal in game 1/3/5/6/7

We did not lose game 6 and 7 because of Campbell. He kept us in both of those games and made some tremendous saves to give us a chance. If you want to upgrade on Campbell sure, but pointing the finger at him is just wrong.

Vasilevski is still playing Campbell is not. It’s that simple. When it mattered Vasilevski won, Campbell lost. Vasilevski has won multiple Cups, Campbell has won nothing. If the Leafs don’t improve on Campbell they will continue to be right where they are today.
Patrick Maroon is still playing, Auston Matthews is not. It's that simple. Maroon >>>> Matthews

Great logic there

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Seems like a risky move. Not sure what version of Gibson you’ll get.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

We did not lose game 6 and 7 because of Campbell. He kept us in both of those games and made some tremendous saves to give us a chance. If you want to upgrade on Campbell sure, but pointing the finger at him is just wrong.

Patrick Maroon is still playing, Auston Matthews is not. It's that simple. Maroon >>>> Matthews

Great logic there
Jack Campbell was not phenomal in game 6 he let in 4 on 34 shots that is a less then 900 save% it's about 883 in what world nis that pheonomal?

it's not it sucks

Jack waxs awful in game 2 4 and 6 n

he couldn't put together 2 good games in a row because he's not a #1 a real #1 can give you 2 good playoff games in a row, a real #1 wins this series

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Great logic there
You’re understanding here is laughable. Sadly for you Maroon embodies EXACTLY what you need to win in the POs which understandably you do not recognize. To this point in his career it’s clear Matthew’s has no clue how to win in crunch time. If I want to win scoring titles I’ll take the Leafs, if I want to challenge history (in any sort of positive way), I’ll take the Lightning twelve times out of ten.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Probably something like Knies, 2022 1st (not particularly valuable at 28th OA), Sandin and 2023 2nd.
I don't think the Leafs made it far enough for their 1st to be 28th.

if they did this thread wouldn't exist

I don't know where their 1st is but I think it's around 18th

Omar23

Jun 14, 2021
West coast

Reimer wasn't then

Theirs a reason Campbells bounced around for years. He’s capable of very good runs but not constant. Doubt he can take a team to the cup, even a very good team

Reactions: SkeeterPumpkinEater

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
You’re understanding here is laughable. Sadly for you Maroon embodies EXACTLY what you need to win in the POs which understandably you do not recognize. To this point in his career it’s clear Matthew’s has no clue how to win in crunch time. If I want to win scoring titles I’ll take the Leafs, if I want to challenge history (in any sort of positive way), I’ll take the Lightning twelve times out of ten.

I would've loved to see your Tampa Bay takes pre-2020 about them being able to win.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Theirs a reason Campbells bounced around for years. He’s capable of very good runs but not constant. Doubt he can take a team to the cup, even a very good team

I mean if we got November Jack then yeah that guy could.

But we didn't see Novemberf Jack again from December-game 5, game 5 was as close to November Jack as we ever saw again.

that's why he needs to go we need consistency

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Jack Campbell was not phenomal in game 6 he let in 4 on 34 shots that is a less then 900 save% it's about 883 in what world nis that pheonomal?

it's not it sucks

Jack waxs awful in game 2 4 and 6 n

he couldn't put together 2 good games in a row because he's not a #1 a real #1 can give you 2 good playoff games in a row, a real #1 wins this series
This is why we have eyes to actually watch the game and not just stare at the stat sheet like a robot

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad