Seravalli: John Gibson “I am not playing another game for the Anaheim Ducks” (refuted by agent)

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I said it before and I say it now Gibson is a f***ing idiot for re-signing with the Ducks in the first place. He wasted his best years in a tire fire organization and is nothing more than an afterthought at this point of his career.
Tire fire organization? Please explain that one lol. Yeah they’ve been in a rebuild but that happens. For 30 years in the league they had some decent success.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
he probably said it but you have to deny it

Ducks will have to give him away or eat crap contracts back

They also need a G back

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
He has no trade value

Ducks are gonna really bite the bullet they trade him. Nothing in return and they’ll hav to keep some money
How long is it going to take people to understand we have no cap issues so there is zero reason for us to pay to get rid of him. Use your brain. If he wants a trade then fine but Anaheim isn’t going to be paying someone to take him.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I might get torched from other Devils fans....but does Vanecek and Holtz for Gibson (50% retained) work for everyone?? Holtz is the incentive for Anaheim to retain 50% of this deal and he needs to probably make a move to get guaranteed top 6 minutes.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
How long is it going to take people to understand we have no cap issues so there is zero reason for us to pay to get rid of him. Use your brain. If he wants a trade then fine but Anaheim isn’t going to be paying someone to take him.

Never said they’ll have to “pay”. Moreso they’ll be be giving him away for peanuts or nothing and might have to take a contract back, not an albatross one though

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Never said they’ll have to “pay”. Moreso they’ll be be giving him away for peanuts or nothing and might have to take a contract back, not an albatross one though
You said nothing in return and have to keep some money. Which means they get nothing and retain. Which means they pay someone to take him.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I might get torched from other Devils fans....but does Vanecek and Holtz for Gibson (50% retained) work for everyone?? Holtz is the incentive for Anaheim to retain 50% of this deal and he needs to probably make a move to get guaranteed top 6 minutes.
You should be torched.

Even suggesting Vanecek for Gibson at 50% is a huge win for the Ducks. They upgrade at G, and are free of VV in two years if they want to be.

Edit: maybe if you want to send Palat and Vanecek for Henrique at 50% plus Gibson? I still don’t like it for the Devils and I like Rico a lot. But, at least I can see why the Devils do this deal.

Last edited:

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I don't think a world exists where Gibson is traded without retention. Not even Sleepy is that stupid.
The Ducks have long been, if not a 'do the bare minimum ' budget team, then certainly one with an internal cap/budget. There's pretty much no way they will retain significant money for the next four years.

I have a strong feeling that the next conversation between Gibson and PV will be a long the lines of "Sorry John, we just couldn't get a deal done. We're a better team this year. Play hard, get your numbers and value back to where we know it can be, and at the trade deadline, if you still want out we'll do our best to get you to a contender.".

He may want to be traded (and after the past few years I can't fault him), but they don't 'have' to trade him

(now, if he has a pissy attitude because it couldn't get done, whether or not the management wants him/that attitude around all the young players is an entirely different conversation)

Reactions: Yemeth and lwvs84

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I doubt Gibson said he will never play another game for them.

He can of course request a trade but I dont think hes willing to sit out games if push comes to shove.

Reactions: YP44

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Gibson+++ for Nylander and Samsonov

I just don't get why Toronto does this. Gibson is living off a reputation that honestly hasn't been reinforced since he was a very young player. Yeah I get his team has been bad but this is the goaltending position we talk about. How many goalies are consistently elite year in and out? The excuse of oh he is elite it's only the team falls flat when he has been outperformed by so many backup goalies.

To put it into perspective, he hasn't had a sv% above .920 since Matthews and Marner were rookies. The last time he had a sv% above .910 the Leafs still employed Babcock and Lou as GM.

He makes 6M dollars for many more years. There is a greater chance you bring him in and he is a cap dump goalie than you bring him in and magically he becomes a top 5 goalie in the league.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Gibson is an elite goalie, his numbers lately don't reflect that but goalies are susceptible to horrible defense and forwards more commited to pulling Michigans in 4-1 losses than back checking.

I would put Gibson in the 6-10 range in the world for goalies if he finds the right team. There is no reason to believe he couldnt put up Georgiev numbers if he played for the avs (40W-918SVV).

Would probably be about 33W .912 on the Sabres next season

1-6 in no particular order:
Hellybuck, Ullmark, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Oettinger, Vasilevsky,

6-10 range
Saros, Georgiev, Gibson, Andersen, Jarry, Markstrom

Its a shame he didnt end up in Ottawa,

Last edited:
Reactions: MCB

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015
Gibson is an elite goalie, his numbers lately don't reflect that but goalies are susceptible to horrible defense and forwards more commited to pulling Michigans in 4-1 losses than back checking.

I would put Gibson in the 6-10 range in the world for goalies if he finds the right team. There is no reason to believe he couldnt put up Georgiev numbers if he played for the avs (40W-918SVV).

Would probably be about 33W .912 on the Sabres next season

1-6 in no particular order:
Hellybuck, Ullmark, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Oettinger, Vasilevsky,

6-10
Saros, Georgiev, Gibson, Andersen, Jarry

Its a shame he didnt end up in Ottawa,
Gibson and Jarry in your top ten. Bold.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Gibson and Jarry in your top ten. Bold.
Jarry has finished 7th in Vezina voting twice and had a good/great season 2 years ago. He wouldnt have made my top 10 if I hadn't "hockeyreferenced" him and was sitting at a high top chewin the fat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad