Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 2

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Lidstrom had a game where he was -4, and 9 other games in his career where he was -3. Hedman is not perfect, but on most nights he does everything you could possibly want a #1D to do.

I think Carlson can be decisively better than guys like Hamilton or other #1Ds around the league that are average at best in their own end.
I already said that Hedman is tge best dman in the league but he isn't close to a Lidstrom. Hedman makes a lot more blunders than you might think. And isnt always the best positional player. Quite often he can bail himself out because of his size and reach.
And I don't think Dougie Hamilton is a very good comparison to Carlson. Hamilion isn't near the player Carlson is.
I can't even think of a good comparison to Carlson right now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
JC74 is such a Jekyll/Hyde player
He'll commit straight up brain-dead pizza turnovers

I appears to me that pizza delivery is the risk that comes with the responsibilities of being the primary offensive creator on defense. It seems like fans of most teams with high end puck movers/scorers all complain about this. As Caps fans we have destroyed Larry Murphy, Kevin Hatcher, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Green and now Carlson. Canes fans did this about Hamilton only recently. We used to scream about Orlov's pizza delivery and then his game went conservative with his shutdown duty and the turnovers were cut down. His job changed.

Reactions: Calicaps

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I appears to me that pizza delivery is the risk that comes with the responsibilities of being the primary offensive creator on defense. It seems like fans of most teams with high end puck movers/scorers all complain about this. As Caps fans we have destroyed Larry Murphy, Kevin Hatcher, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Green and now Carlson. Canes fans did this about Hamilton only recently. We used to scream about Orlov's pizza delivery and then his game went conservative with his shutdown duty and the turnovers were cut down. His job changed.
I think you guys are way too hard on Carlson. He is alot better than most here think. You guys complain about the pizza deliveries by Carlson. Usually your primary puck moving defenceman turns the puck over the most on their teams. Yet Carlson has only been credited with 13 turnovers so far this season. That is a very low turnover rate. There are actually 2 defenceman on the Caps that have turned the puck over more. Orlov with 20 and Jensen with 18.
Carlson also has a lower turnover rate than almost all the other top dmen in the league. Hedman, Fox, Josi, Burns, Karlsson, Elblad, Seth Jones and many others have a considerable higher turnover rate. The only top dman that I can think of that has turned over the puck less than Carlson is Makar.
Can someone explain how Carlson who moves the puck out of our zone more than any other dman on our team turns the puck over less than Orlov and Jensen? Yet Orlov and Jensen are getting praised while Carlson is our whipping boy.
You guys are under rating Carlson. You guys are stats guys. His stats are showing that he is playing well. All of his stats are decent. His offensive numbers are good again. Shooting % is up. Even meaningless stats like plus/minus and corsi are decent.
I don't get the hate.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
We’re not expecting him to be Denis Potvin or Nick Lidstrom. FWIW, there is a D in the league right now that can do it all, it’s Victor Hedman.

When I think of a Norris level D, I think of him first. Yes, Carlson is better than Rielly but I’m not super thrilled to see that the #2D and #3D Orlov and Jensen are both better than him defensively.

I don’t care about killing penalties or even playing physical. Your run of the mill 2nd pairing D in this league can take care of that. I want him to stop getting caught puck watching in his own end.

But there's only one Hedman, and even he only has 1 Norris

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I love John ... but man that brain just goes dark sometimes.

Usually when he has the puck and has to make a decision .. he gets frozen with indecision. He'll retrieve the puck deep in our zone .. then just stand there deciding whether to send the puck up the boards or outlet pass.

Calling him out for some obvious bad plays is allowed imo. Especially since its been a thing for years now.

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
Have there been any official news on Carlson's status for tonight's game vs the Oilers?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Hey again! Is Carlson likely sidelined for the rest of the season?

curios for fantasy hockey reasons

It’s sounding like he’s going to try to return against Chicago this week.

Apparently he’s feeling healthy enough but because of the incredibly important nature of the temporal artery he has to wait for the healing timeline to complete. Which I guess is this week.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
carlson-infinitely-punches[1].gif

giphy[1].gif

Id love to see JC back and crack a few smiles before the seasons done

Reactions: RedRocking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad