GDT: GM 3: Good vs Evil @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Loosing on spesial teams. 0/6 on the PP with a sh against while letting in a PP goal from NYR.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Carbery has brought a lot of positive things to this team in his first season, but he has to prove me wrong that he kills offense.
He's terrible with the offense. He keeps trying the same dumb things that haven't worked all year. He has them afraid to shoot the puck, always looking for another pass. But the way he has them skating around, anyone that receives a pass is somehow headed the wrong direction.

I like him, but it's clear that he's just not up for the task. We got way worse offensively when he took over. We scored something like 38 fewer goals this year than last year, averaging five fewer shots on goal per game. At the end of the day, Carbs has to own that.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
At least when Caps will be eliminated so BS posters will also leave the board.

I would be surprise if CAR does not win against NYR in 4 or 5. Rangers can't smash a struggling Caps team. Only scored 2 goals 5-on-5 in the last 120 minutes against an AHL defense.

Since the NHL can't touch to its big market, Rempe won't get suspended.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Predictable mess of awful takes.

We're complaining about the coaching suddenly? Somebody already wants him gone before next season? What the f*** are you guys talking about? Did some of you really convince yourselves that we were going to/needed to knock out the 1 seed for this to be a success?

No shit they're getting out-played and out-skilled, they're not supposed to be here. Virtually nobody here was giving them a playoff spot back in August, they did it anyway, and now suddenly we're back to bitching about the GM and coach like it's 2016?

Some of you are massively out of touch, and it's painful to read.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Predictable mess of awful takes.

We're complaining about the coaching suddenly? Somebody already wants him gone before next season? What the f*** are you guys talking about? Did some of you really convince yourselves that we were going to/needed to knock out the 1 seed for this to be a success?

No shit they're getting out-played and out-skilled, they're not supposed to be here. Virtually nobody here was giving them a playoff spot back in August, they did it anyway, and now suddenly we're back to bitching about the GM and coach like it's 2016?

Some of you are massively out of touch, and it's painful to read.
Hey I said Carbs needs to prove me wrong. He is a rookie coach, so he's making rookie coaching mistakes of killing the offensive attack. Usually if the team is mightily having trouble scoring goals, the coach will have the team shoot the puck more even from low danger scoring areas of the ice. I think one of Carbery's mistakes in his first year as coach, he is relying too much on analytics regarding goal scoring. There is a longtime element to the game of hockey that still applies today, if you struggling to score goals then your team has to take more shots than before. The more you get pucks on net, the more likely you will score goals. Caps only had 29 shots on Shesterkin, which I feel still wasn't enough! They need to be pumping 35+ per game on net!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1 week ago: "Hell, we're just happy to get in. Playing with house money. Doesn't matter if we lose"

Today: "FIRE EVERYONE THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE"

LOL jk I didn't read the whole thread, I'm assuming that's the level of mania.

Haven't we been down a d-man every single game? The only problem I have with this team in this series is the lack of meaningful response and "jam" in their game.

They're clearly trying to stay out of the box and it's not working. They're letting the refs dictate this series, and when the PP sucks that's all she wrote.

You can't play while afraid of penalties. You can't play while being worried about the refs. Last night should've been a banger with Caps bodies flying into Rongos left and right, and instead we got the opposite-- on our heels and chasing the puck and avoiding contact while their guys knock ours out, and we STILL get called for ticky tack penalties anyway.

They will learn from this, I hope.

Sucks for Ovie to not have a real chance at the Cup but he's got to be a leader in that regard instead of a passenger. So far he's not been a factor and may even be a liability, owing to a mysterious hand transplant that gave him Mike Grier stone hands.

They're not going to win this series but maybe they can win the next game. I would like to see them show some improvement and have something to take into the following season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What the hell we supposed to do, you morans?
1714216368169.jpeg

Easy. Recall Joel Rechlitz Randy Holt Kevin Kaminski and Donald Brashear from retirement to join Alan May to start for game 4. You want an extra forward, you got it. Its time to clean the Rags house again.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I get the anger because it sucks losing in the playoffs no matter what your expectations are. Especially when the other team does not even look that good.

But the Caps are not a good team. The goal differential is real and then you lose half your defensemen? We do not have a single elite forward, nobody that would be a first liner on any playoff contender. Carlson is fine but the minutes he is playing at his age is insane. Rest of our D would be 2nd pair at best on another team. Depth players have disappeared too. And Charlie came back to earth.

Given all that I still consider this season a success. The team played hard, outperformed expectations and there is some hope they could be better next season with the right offseason moves.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Here’s my assessment of last night. You cannot go 0/6 on the f***ing PP and expect to win anything. The PP is horrendous. Pacioretty should have been sitting next to me in the 400s. At this point , Ovechkin is more a liability than an asset playing the point on the PP.

Looks like Carberry was out of ideas, which is disappointing. His deployment of players, not only on the PP, is largely terrible. But I’m not sure it’s his fault. Every line has a boat anchor. Some lines have more than one.

Ovechkin, Oshie, Pacioretty cannot skate. It is now apparent Pacioretty will not shoot. They should never be on the ice together ever again. Probably only one more opportunity anyway.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Here’s my assessment of last night. You cannot go 0/6 on the f***ing PP and expect to win anything. The PP is horrendous. Pacioretty should have been sitting next to me in the 400s. At this point , Ovechkin is more a liability than an asset playing the point on the PP.

Looks like Carberry was out of ideas, which is disappointing. His deployment of players, not only on the PP, is largely terrible. But I’m not sure it’s his fault. Every line has a boat anchor. Some lines have more than one.

Ovechkin, Oshie, Pacioretty cannot skate. It is now apparent Pacioretty will not shoot. They should never be on the ice together ever again. Probably only one more opportunity anyway.
Agree mostly but Oshie can still skate. He made plays where he split several defenders in the neutral zone and chased his own dump, faster than anyone around him.

Patches is definitely net negative and Ovie is a passenger.

Wilson has been one of the best forwards but still not himself. I think we'll find out later he's not been 100% this year.

Many of the younger players were fumbling the puck and making mistakes left and right, too. It's inexperience, maybe some nerves, and maybe playing above their position in some cases (CMM is not C1).

The best way to know what you need to work on is to experience it directly. They're doing that now.

If Ovie wants to be better in the playoffs next year (yes they should make it again) he's going to have to find a way to roll back father time a little and preserve himself while still scoring goals in the regular season. Maybe drinking Chara blood will do the trick.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Maybe drinking Chara blood will do the trick.
Especially if it's in a cocktail mixed with Jagr's.

Seriously, considering the number of minutes JC and some of other vets were getting down the stretch toward qualifying, plus the (mental & physical) burden on Chuckie compared to his recent seasons, it's not surprising this team looks out of ideas. Exhaustion and old age are factors, along with injuries.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Add Dowd to that list too.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I wonder if DK starts next game.
It could be his last game as a Cap, playing or backing up. I think BMac will try to trade him in the offseason.

Would watch.

f0cb301f-0071-412f-b582-7c7787eb79a3_text.gif

Nah...they go all in on what is likely the last game of the year. Tending hasn't been the problem.

Now do they sit some of the AARPlayers?

I'd like to see Patches get the scratches.
I have nothing against Lindgren, but he looks exhausted mentally and physically. Rangers could very likely light him up for a lot of goals in Game 4.

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
Carlson 88:43
Fehervary 66:39
Alexeyev 61:06
van Riemsdyk 47:40
McIlrath 36:58
Johansen 28:01
Iorio 1:50

You've got our 1D, 3 guys who would ideally be 3rd pair/7th D on a contender, and 3 AHL guys. Jensen and Sandin aren't world-beaters, but they'd certainly help our breakout, and they're probably our 2 most mobile defensemen.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
this just sucks. Mostly because of terrible PP and lack of physical intensity. And of course losing sucks.

That said, I was one calling for playoff experience for the youngster (including Carberry). They are leaning that you are going to get punched in the face in the playoffs. Game ramps up. I’d still say it is good experience because now they have felt it. it will help down the road.

We have to come out physical on Sunday. Not dirty, but we need to bring some pain!

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
It could be his last game as a Cap, playing or backing up. I think BMac will try to trade him in the offseason.

I have nothing against Lindgren, but he looks exhausted mentally and physically. Rangers could very likely light him up for a lot of goals in Game 4.
You or any other sane person shouldn't have anything against Charlie. He's the main reason why the Caps made the playoffs. He's already been lit-up on a lot of goals. So what's another game?

If he looks tired, it's because of the D-men (or lack thereof) we have in front of him. They're either over-played, hurt, or green.

Doesn't matter. Coach Carbs is going to go with what got him there and it wasn't DK.

ps Good luck trading DK...we'll have to give up a good pick or eat $$$.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Carberry can adjust the PP but maybe that’s it. The Rangers speed advantage is so decisive that we have no room ever to do much.

Lack of legit defensemen is another issue. Aside from not having the horses to compete, now the horses we do have are hurt, and others very old and tired. Winning game 4 would be awesome just to show some fight and get more experience and see if adjustments work but this is it. I do look forward to the off-season, and look to root for a team who wasn’t a cup to win it this year.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Carberry can adjust the PP but maybe that’s it. The Rangers speed advantage is so decisive that we have no room ever to do much.

Lack of legit defensemen is another issue. Aside from not having the horses to compete, now the horses we do have are hurt, and others very old and tired. Winning game 4 would be awesome just to show some fight and get more experience and see if adjustments work but this is it. I do look forward to the off-season, and look to root for a team who wasn’t a cup to win it this year.
I think the biggest area of the PP that they have not adjusted is zone entries. Rangers are stacking 4 players right at the blue line. Caps keep trying to skate it in but that does not work they need to dump and chase. Clearly the Rangers scouted their zone entries and realized they don’t dump it in. Up to the Caps to adjust.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think the biggest area of the PP that they have not adjusted is zone entries. Rangers are stacking 4 players right at the blue line. Caps keep trying to skate it in but that does not work they need to dump and chase. Clearly the Rangers scouted their zone entries and realized they don’t dump it in. Up to the Caps to adjust.
It's hard to do any entries when you're unable to use an entire wing for entry. That's not on Carbs, Ovi has become what he was always memed about on the power play. He's just a turret, he can't carry the puck or handle it at all.

I will say, the only real complaint I have with how they're deploying the powerplay is I don't know why are Pacs and Oshie still on powerplay 1? The AARP powerplay 1 is getting absolutely mauled. Play Lapierre and McMichael, and just figure it out.

Reactions: marcel snapshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad