John Bean steps down as Flames President and CEO; will be replaced by Robert Hayes

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

John Bean is no longer the president and CEO of the Calgary Flames. The longtime Calgary Sports and Entertainment executive announced he was stepping down in an internal memo sent to Flames employees obtained by The Athletic. Robert Hayes will succeed Bean as the organization’s president and CEO, and the Flames will also add Lorenzo DeCicco as their newest chief operating officer.

“It is a day full of mixed emotions as I truly enjoyed my time with the CSEC family,” Bean wrote in the memo. “The best part about working for CSEC is truly the incredible passion, energy and humility of each and every one of you. I feel honoured and privileged to have had the opportunity to work with such an amazing organization and extend my sincere gratitude to our wonderful ownership group who provided solid guidance and support to me and our entire team along the way.”

Bean will remain with the organization in a “senior advisory role” as the Flames transition from the Saddledome, the team’s home arena since 1983, to a new event centre. The City of Calgary recently told The Athletic that an update on the project could come next month.

According to the memo, Bean notified Flames ownership last year about his intention to leave CSEC. Bean’s replacements will begin work on June 3.

Reactions: Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Based on Google, I think Hayes was on the board for Calgary Economic Development

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Honestly the first time I'd every heard of Bean was when Treliving left and he sat in the presser with Maloney. And now he's gone. Cheery-bye, Bean
Sounds like he was already planning his exit at that time too.

According to the memo, Bean notified Flames ownership last year about his intention to leave CSEC.

Coincidence? Or just rats off a sinking ship?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Honestly the first time I'd every heard of Bean was when Treliving left and he sat in the presser with Maloney. And now he's gone. Cheery-bye, Bean

Same. But that R word comment hilarity put him in my head from that moment on because it confirmed a disappointing belief many of us had for a long time.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Same. But that R word comment hilarity put him in my head from that moment on because it confirmed a disappointing belief many of us had for a long time.
I wouldn't get too disappointed. The R word has become so sensationalized in the post-Crosby/Oilers triple 1st overall era, and I don't think John Bean even knew what the word meant. He only understood what it means to the media, and by extension the fans - literally miss the playoffs for 5 seasons and get MacKinnon, a concept when perceived by a business executive, first and foremost concerned with sales and growth, and brand engagement with community, is unthinkable. But these business executives can't control the ebb and flow and development of a group of 50 players. Despite what Bean said that day, the Flames missed the playoffs, and had a shot at winning the draft lottery, without trading every NHL contract away like Mike Grier did in San Jose. Only one or maybe two teams, once or twice in a long while, can be bad enough at the exact time to draft a franchise altering player. Media and fans today, whatever they say, think of the R word as the cosmically rare opportunity the Penguins had to purposely tank for Mario Lemieux, and save their franchise. It just so happened the team had bottomed out again when Sidney Crosby's lottery came along, and had just the right numbers luck.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad