Michael Russo: John Anderson hired as assistant-coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Five championships as the Wolves' head coach. Not bad.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Anderson just last week left his second stint as coach of the Chicago Wolves. Boudreau said that happened prior to him getting involved.

Prior to that, Anderson was an assistant coach for two seasons with the Phoenix Coyotes after being head coach of the Thrashers from 2008-10.

The Toronto native went 624-368-124 (.614) in 14 seasons as the Wolves head coach (1997-2008, 2013-16), leading Chicago to four championships; the 2008 and 2002 Calder Cup and the 2000 and 1998 Turner Cup. Prior to joining the Wolves, Anderson captured the Colonial Cup as Head Coach of the Quad City Mallards of the Colonial Hockey League in 1996-97. He began his coaching career with Winston-Salem in 1995-96, leading the Mammoths to the Southern Hockey League Finals.

"The man's won five championships at those levels," Boudreau said. "His teams have always been good. Usually, the power play of his winning teams are the best in the league and that's a lot of what I wanted to draw on.

"Offensively, he thinks outside the box and his teams are really difficult to play against."

From Russo.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Used to work for the Wolves when John was there and also played roller with one of his kids when I was a lot younger. John is a solid guy and always seemed to be well respected in the room. Good hire for you guys.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was a good player for the Leafs during the 80's. Certainly not a stranger to the NHL.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Judging by his quotes in the press release, he already knows exactly what the Wild's powerplay problem was last year (I know, I know.. who doesn't. Well, aside from Brunette...) Can't dig it up right now, but basically talks about how you can't just stand stationary and pass around slowly and hope to ever score on the PP. That is to say, exactly what the Wild's PP was like last season ;)

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Judging by his quotes in the press release, he already knows exactly what the Wild's powerplay problem was last year (I know, I know.. who doesn't. Well, aside from Brunette...) Can't dig it up right now, but basically talks about how you can't just stand stationary and pass around slowly and hope to ever score on the PP. That is to say, exactly what the Wild's PP was like last season ;)

Where can these quotes be found?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Where can these quotes be found?

This isn't exactly the same as I saw, but close:

"Score goals," he said with a laugh. "No, there are a couple of things. Having set plays is one thing, but execution of the plays, and the quickness and movement of the puck is tremendous, because if you hold the puck too long, defenses are so good right now that they get back into position very quickly.How quickly you can move the puck, and creating 2-on-1's in certain areas of the ice."

http://wild.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=46845&navid=DL|MIN|home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad