Recalled/Assigned: Johan Sundstrom recalled

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Per Staple:

@StapeNewsday: #Isles recall Johan Sundstrom from BPT.

https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/status/444217456220192768

Isles website:

Sundstrom, 21, has 17 points (seven goals, 10 assists) in 38 games this season with the Sound Tigers. The Gothenburg, Sweden, native scored 32 points (11 goals, 21 assists) in 59 games last year during his first season in North America.

The Islanders selected Sundstrom in the second round (50th overall) of the 2011 National Hockey League Draft. Prior to joining the Sound Tigers, Sundstrom played two professional seasons with Frolunda of the Swedish Hockey League.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=709341

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Was there any benefit to not calling him up earlier after they knew Grabner went down? I figured they would do it immediately to get him some reps in multiple practices, and of course those precious meetings.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Was there any benefit to not calling him up earlier after they knew Grabner went down? I figured they would do it immediately to get him some reps in multiple practices, and of course those precious meetings.

Save a days pay?

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
not that I really expect this to happen. But if in these final 18 or whatever games, he proves he can be a reliable 3rd line center, then it opens up a lot of doors for the lines next season. They can have a 2nd of Nelson Neilsen Strome (or any combination of those 3 players) with Lee on the 1st and a 3rd of Grabner Sundstrom Clutterbuck. If not, then they need to go out & get either a 2nd line wing (and have one of those 3 center the 3rd) or a 3rd line center.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Great..now we get to see if he's any good in the big leagues.

I thought he was going to be our #3 center in a few years, but I'm not seeing much improvement from him from year 1 to year 2 in the AHL. Another big body though, 6'3".

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I thought he was going to be our #3 center in a few years, but I'm not seeing much improvement from him from year 1 to year 2 in the AHL. Another big body though, 6'3".
Yes and yes. He has unfortunately been injured a lot these last two seasons. Really hurt him last year, he was having an excellent start with an all Swede line.
I still see him as a steady 2 way 3rd line center.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I wonder if he has any relationship with Collberg. I see there is some overlap in Sweden. Looks like they have been on some of the same teams.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
not that I really expect this to happen. But if in these final 18 or whatever games, he proves he can be a reliable 3rd line center, then it opens up a lot of doors for the lines next season. They can have a 2nd of Nelson Neilsen Strome (or any combination of those 3 players) with Lee on the 1st and a 3rd of Grabner Sundstrom Clutterbuck. If not, then they need to go out & get either a 2nd line wing (and have one of those 3 center the 3rd) or a 3rd line center.

Man, I guess I am one of the few fans who wants to really see something from a guy before he is promoted. I should add that I like what I know about Sundstrom and think he is a smart player who has a future with the Isles. Admittedly, I don't see the Sound Tigers play often so I am basing this on stats, the articles I read, and other fans' posts, but I think anointing him as even possibly next season's third line center is way premature. Casey did more at the AHL level, and has produced at the NHL level. I'd buy what you were saying more if you suggested he could be our 4th line center first and Casey could be a third liner. Even then, we'd have a log jam ahead of them at center...Strome, Nelson, Nielsen, and Tavares. Let him outperform Casey before he is our third center.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Man, I guess I am one of the few fans who wants to really see something from a guy before he is promoted. I should add that I like what I know about Sundstrom and think he is a smart player who has a future with the Isles. Admittedly, I don't see the Sound Tigers play often so I am basing this on stats, the articles I read, and other fans' posts, but I think anointing him as even possibly next season's third line center is way premature. Casey did more at the AHL level, and has produced at the NHL level. I'd buy what you were saying more if you suggested he could be our 4th line center first and Casey could be a third liner. Even then, we'd have a log jam ahead of them at center...Strome, Nelson, Nielsen, and Tavares. Let him outperform Casey before he is our third center.

This I agree with.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I wonder if he has any relationship with Collberg. I see there is some overlap in Sweden. Looks like they have been on some of the same teams.

They had great chemistry the few times they played junior hockey together.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I thought Sundstrom played all three forward positions.

I can't imagine a center not being able to play either wing. The hard part these days is finding a center who can win a ******* faceoff, which between that and goaltending our scouting staff has not 1 damn clue how to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad