Value of: Joey Daccord(G) or Filip Gustavsson(G)

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ottawa fans are worried one of these two young goalies might get grabbed by Seattle. Both are playing well and both could have nice NHL careers in front of them.

Possible scenarios:

Goalie Swap: If one of these guys is an upgrade over your protected goalie (or you don't need to protect a goalie), we can swap with a sweetener coming back our way.

You have better unprotected players or Seattle is unlikely to select your goalie: You can take one without much fear of losing him to Seattle. Sens swap one for a pick or prospect, possibly with an expiring cap dump coming back.

For a defenceman: Your team is likely to lose a defenceman to Seattle. Sens are weak on the backend and we have little worth protecting. If it's a good piece, sens could sweeten with another prospect, player or pick coming back.

Any takers?

Reactions: hn777

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I can't think of any team that would want to use a protection spot on Daccord or Gustavson instead of an in-house option. There will be a lot of decent goalies available to Seattle if it's like the Vegas expansion draft. They can't take all of them (Vegas passed on Mrazek IRC for example). Either risk losing them or pay a draft pick to not take him (like Buffalo did with Ullmark).

Last edited:
Reactions: G Backup

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't see a way that either of those guys are taken by Seattle, but even if they were, who cares? I'd much rather lose a goalie in the expansion draft than a roster player.

I'm praying that the Penguins lose DeSmith in the expansion draft because I'd much rather lose DeSmith over McCann.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I hâte this, everyone is going to lose someone.
Take it on the chin and move on. No need to lose more assets than you need to.

Yeah, I get that.

There just seems to be a lot of options to deal in ways that make both teams better protected for the expansion draft. Forward-heavy team trades with a defence-heavy team for example.

That's kind of what I'm going for here. Even though these two young goalies don't hold that much value, it still seems like a deal that helps both teams should be possible.

Reactions: hn777

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I can't see a way that either of those guys are taken by Seattle, but even if they were, who cares? I'd much rather lose a goalie in the expansion draft than a roster player.

I'm praying that the Penguins lose DeSmith in the expansion draft because I'd much rather lose DeSmith over McCann.

from an ottawa view goaltending has always been questionable at best. Anderson provided stability but whenever he got injured sens was screwed outside of that one miracle run.

Going into this year our top 2 goalies have been blah and those are the two guys that have shown flashes of actually being something. I would much rather lose a forward/dman then a goalie but ottawa is also in the unique position where the forward/dman that will be available is going to be blah. Tierney's decent but higher salary no revenue makes it a tough sell for a team and a third liner

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I can't think of any team that would want to use a protection spot on Daccord or Gustavson instead of an house option. There will be a lot of decent goalies available to Seattle if it's like the Vegas expansion draft. They can't take all of them (Vegas passed on Mrazek IRC for example). Either risk losing them or pay a draft pick to not take him (like Buffalo did with Ullmark).

Wings fans assumed they'd take Mrazek but only because we didn't really have anything worth a damn, they wanted Nosek instead because there were better goalies available to them. Mrazek's value at the time was pennies on the dollar though hoping that another team could rehabilitate him.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I can see the Oilers with too many young D swapping for a forward or goalie. Like Lagesson/Jones for something else but that also means losing another roster player in expansion so I feel it's pretty pointless.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Who and who?

Whadda they got, a dozen games between the two of them?

You really that worried about losing some random scrub goalie? You really think there's another team out there that doesn't have their own random scrub goalies, six-for-a-penny?

If you lose you, you lose one, and you get to keep the other. Everybody wins.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I can see the Oilers with too many young D swapping for a forward or goalie. Like Lagesson/Jones for something else but that also means losing another roster player in expansion so I feel it's pretty pointless.
Well if it means losing Koskinen, Russell or Neal then its a plus for Oilers.

Lets say Lagesson for Daacord.

protect: Nurse-Bear-Klefbom? -Daacord
expose: Koskinen-Jones-Russell

Edmonton would be fine with losing one of Jones\Lagesson and Ottawa one of these 2 goalies (assuming neither is exempt)
Making a swap kinds plugs a hole for both teams and makes the decision for Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad