Speculation: Joensuu to become a Group VI UFA ?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I hadn't realized JJ, was so close to becoming a ufa.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/201...rs-vs-philadelphia-flyers-preview-substitutes
A Free Agent Named Joensuu

As Michael Fornabaio noted in his Bridgeport wrap, if what he hears about a lockout-pro-rated Group VI games played threshold is true, then Joensuu is just five games (regular season or playoffs) short of making keeping himself from becoming a Group VI UFA. That's not a reason to manipulate the lineup (though they know doubt promised Anders Lee some NHL games to burn a year on his deal and entice him to sign), but it is a reminder that the Islanders technically hold Joensuu's future in their hands.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Cya Joensuu. He won't be here next season.

I figured he would go back to Europe anyway rather than re-sign...

The Isles already have Moulson, Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, McDonald and Martin with winger spots locked up. That leaves three spots for Strome/Nino/Ullstrom/Lee/Joenssu even if the Isles don't sign/trade for a single player (and I really hope they replace Boyes with someone proven) and don't want to carry a Boulton type.

Given that level of competition, I just can't see him getting a 1-way deal, and I can't see him staying without it.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I hadn't realized JJ, was so close to becoming a ufa.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/201...rs-vs-philadelphia-flyers-preview-substitutes
A Free Agent Named Joensuu

As Michael Fornabaio noted in his Bridgeport wrap, if what he hears about a lockout-pro-rated Group VI games played threshold is true, then Joensuu is just five games (regular season or playoffs) short of making keeping himself from becoming a Group VI UFA. That's not a reason to manipulate the lineup (though they know doubt promised Anders Lee some NHL games to burn a year on his deal and entice him to sign), but it is a reminder that the Islanders technically hold Joensuu's future in their hands.

What?!? Is that english? I'm assuming if he plays 5 games or more he becomes a UFA. But the way thats written that could go either way.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
What?!? Is that english? I'm assuming if he plays 5 games or more he becomes a UFA. But the way thats written that could go either way.
If he helps, Snow will have him out there even if he risks losing him.

This is a cultural change in management......the Isles are playing to win FINALLY.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I figured he would go back to Europe anyway rather than re-sign...

The Isles already have Moulson, Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, McDonald and Martin with winger spots locked up. That leaves three spots for Strome/Nino/Ullstrom/Lee/Joenssu even if the Isles don't sign/trade for a single player (and I really hope they replace Boyes with someone proven) and don't want to carry a Boulton type.

Given that level of competition, I just can't see him getting a 1-way deal, and I can't see him staying without it.

I thought he'd get the same 1 yr offer, that he had this season: make the isles or go back to Europe.

miscreant

Jul 15, 2005

I would think if that he plays the five more games, he would not become a UFA. Looks like they have just changed the threshold for him from 80 games to 72 due to the lockout.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd like to see him with a full, healthy, training camp under his belt but with the log jam at forward I don't see it happening with the Isles.

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007
I thought he'd get the same 1 yr offer, that he had this season: make the isles or go back to Europe.

Agreed. I think he's fighting with Ullstrom and maybe one or two others for the same possible roster spot. Might as well bring him back for camp if for no other reason than to push the others as hard as they can go. And if Joensuu schools them out there, give him the spot. If not, he can go home on his terms and no hard feelings either way.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Joensuu is the type of player who is fine to have around but at the same time easily replaceable. I wouldn't mind him staying next season but surely there are upgrades available

LAPPY13

Apr 12, 2002
Long Island
Joensuu has really not shone much in the games he has played this year or in seasons past. I really like his size and at times his aggressiveness but he is a very slow skater way below avg and seems to always be a few steps behind the play. I would not mind letting Joensuu walk at end of the year and maybe replacing him with UFA Eric Nystrom. Nystrom skates well and hits everything in sight he can also score 10-15 goals a season and work on the PK. Eric Nystrom is not his father but could really help this current team on there 3rd or 4th line. Isles need more players like Matt Martin and Eric Nystrom plays a somewhat simular style of game.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Joensuu has played about 70 minutes this season and after recovering from an injury. I'm not prepared to say he's expendable at this point.

I like Ullstrom more than Joensuu, but Joensuu is not a guy I let walk away for nothing, I want to see what he has next year.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Come on people...we know we can't keep everyone and we aren't gonna let him walk.. Jesse is an asset and we TRADE assets for better assets..

so whomever picks first in this years draft....surely will be a team in rebuilding..we would trade Rights to Boyes, Streit, Jesse, Reasoner possibly a Dehaan etc etc for Seth :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad