Confirmed with Link: Joel Nystrom signs

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So no SHL extension or did we buy him out?

We could have 2 lefties and 4 righties in Chicago next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's a lot of RHD, but given the uncertainty at the NHL level, the more options are the merrier.
I mean next year this is what we have under contract:

Burns - NHL
Morrow - NHL/AHL?

Honka - AHL
Heimosalmi - AHL
Legault - AHL
Nystrom - AHL

I have some hope we can keep Chat, but as many as we've signed recently we're still only at 6 signed heading into next year. 7 if we end up bringing Coughlan back, though that would cement that Morrow is the #6.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Burns - NHL
Morrow - NHL/AHL?

Honka - AHL
Heimosalmi - AHL
Legault - AHL
Nystrom - AHL

I have some hope we can keep Chat, but as many as we've signed recently we're still only at 6 signed heading into next year. 7 if we end up bringing Coughlan back, though that would cement that Morrow is the #6.
Question is: anyone of the bottom 4 in your list NHL ready by next year?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Question is: anyone of the bottom 4 in your list NHL ready by next year?
Defensively Heimosalmi and possibly Nystrom could have an edge on Morrow. Fighting for a third pair spot with Rod that may matter. They both have been playing pro against men for at least a couple of years. They could be dark horse picks to steal a spot on the third pair. Heimosalmi was pretty bad in his last WJC but that’s a small sample and he’s been playing pro since.

I know we appropriately make a big deal about not having defenseman signed, but I still suspect we’re going to find vets to fill the spots. We likely won’t have any of these guys in our top six D.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
He will be loaned out to Färjestad the first year.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Even if he weren't loaned to Färjestad he would have to had a spot on the NHL roster for next year or the rules would have him go back anyways due to his age and draft position. This signing was only to keep his rights and see if his development keeps going and I think use him as trade bait.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Even if he weren't loaned to Färjestad he would have to had a spot on the NHL roster for next year or the rules would have him go back anyways due to his age and draft position. This signing was only to keep his rights and see if his development keeps going and I think use him as trade bait.
That's the technical rules, yes. But in reality I think it's negotiable whether the IIHF-aligned team is really actually going to insist on sending the boy back to Europe instead of AHL.

Back in the day we had Kuokkanen of Kärpät organization pedigree play in NA for a season and then there was serious grandstanding from Sebastian Aho's dad that another non-NHL year in NA is completely out of question, but in the end he did spend the next season in AHL anyway. And I'd like to think that Canes didn't promise to make his son the 1C if he allows Kuokkanen to stay.

BadgerCane58

Jul 10, 2023

Burns - NHL
Morrow - NHL/AHL?

Honka - AHL
Heimosalmi - AHL
Legault - AHL
Nystrom - AHL

Fensore

And Seeley

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Did you just post and then quote yourself within the same post? :laugh:
Can easily happen especially on mobile when you mean to edit your post but accidentally press Quote instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad