Injury Report: Joel Farabee has disc replacement surgery out 3-4 months

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
If you want to know more about it just look at stories about Eichel’s surgery and return. Eichel is only a few years older.

The reaction to this news on twitter was appalling. Instead of feeling bad for a 22 year old who just had major surgery that is not common in the NHL, it’s just fans whining about how Farabee maybe missing the first month of the season affects them.
Twitter is a cesspit. Since social media started all of this “like” and “retweet“ nonsense, society has really become fractured. It is a shame, as it started out with good intentions but quickly went off the rails. I feel bad for Farabee, and hope for a full recovery, and that should be just about the only comment on social media in my worthless opinion.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Twitter is a cesspit. Since social media started all of this “like” and “retweet“ nonsense, society has really become fractured. It is a shame, as it started out with good intentions but quickly went off the rails. I feel bad for Farabee, and hope for a full recovery, and that should be just about the only comment on social media in my worthless opinion.
the entire instant media creation needs to be uninvented...

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
If you want to know more about it just look at stories about Eichel’s surgery and return. Eichel is only a few years older.

The reaction to this news on twitter was appalling. Instead of feeling bad for a 22 year old who just had major surgery that is not common in the NHL, it’s just fans whining about how Farabee maybe missing the first month of the season affects them.
Almost like they don't know Farabee personally or feel a personal connection to him, but the success of the team in general brings them joy. So strange.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
My response to all this is CLEARLY the medical and training staff knew something was up with Farabee and his neck and shoulder. Clearly coaching and management knew something was up. This sort of injury just doesn't "happen out of the blue" and "get worse over time." If they knew and intentionally played the young man, then shame on them. This is a young man with his life ahead of him and they showed zero concern for him. If this doesn't scream incompetence at all levels, then I don't know what does. I can tell you this much - as a union and governed certified joint health and safety person, THE first call I'm making is to Farabee to see how he's doing. The second call I'm making is to the union representative to start an investigation into why it took so long for Farabee to get the operation and what the team knew. Something isn't right here and it doesn't pass the smell test.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My response to all this is CLEARLY the medical and training staff knew something was up with Farabee and his neck and shoulder. Clearly coaching and management knew something was up. This sort of injury just doesn't "happen out of the blue" and "get worse over time." If they knew and intentionally played the young man, then shame on them. This is a young man with his life ahead of him and they showed zero concern for him. If this doesn't scream incompetence at all levels, then I don't know what does. I can tell you this much - as a union and governed certified joint health and safety person, THE first call I'm making is to Farabee to see how he's doing. The second call I'm making is to the union representative to start an investigation into why it took so long for Farabee to get the operation and what the team knew. Something isn't right here and it doesn't pass the smell test.

No no, the Flyers never mishandle injuries to make them worse or reaggravate them

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know it's Metzler, but these quotes from Farabee suggests it's something that popped up post-season, maybe while working out:

On Exit Day, Farabee said he declined an offer from USA Hockey to play at the 2022 IIHF World Championship in Finland. His plan was to rest for several weeks and then work on his offseason training program to start preparing for next season.

Asked about his health and the various shoulder issues over the season, Farabee insisted he was OK.

"The shoulder feels good. I think coming back the first time it definitely wasn’t in great shape. Definitely tried to play through it a bit, but I think coming back from the second time, I felt a lot stronger. Ever since then it’s been good. Obviously, it gets a little sore with the schedule. I think playing back-to-backs like that can get a little sore, but at the end of the day, its strength was there. I felt pretty good actually the last few weeks of the season there," Farabee said.

So before attributing blame, I think I'd wait until we know more.

Reactions: renberg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
When I think of fusion I think of this:

1656351413326.png

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Does not sound plausible. You don't bust a disk with a single workout, at least not with that outcome.
Must have been lingering for a long time.

Reactions: Rebels57

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I think studies show 60% of the adult population over the age of 40 has completely asymptomatic disc herniations confirmed by MRI.

It is very odd that a 22 year old athlete is getting disc replacement surgery in such a short amount of time from initial symptoms and diagnosis (if the report above via Meltzer is in fact correct).

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Does not sound plausible. You don't bust a disk with a single workout, at least not with that outcome.
Must have been lingering for a long time.

A previous disc issue have shown up on an MRI. I had one done last year, and you can see the tiniest little problems in the spine.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
After doing all the lifting etc yesterday to help my daughter move, it was the base of my neck and traps that were excruciatingly painful and seizing up. Legs and arms weren't too bad. Off to the chiropractor after work.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Perfect year to tank and move someone like Hayes with 50% discount at the dead line. Let Trots install 100% work ethic, shot blocking game and physical play with forecheck.
Maybe move Sanheim and have a strong draft in 2023.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
These disc issues are a matter of physics really. If you move the wrong direction, even if not with a lot of force, you can herniate a disc. That's why in some car crashes with big impacts you don't have any disc herniations and in some car crashes with small impacts you have multiple herniations.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Perfect year to tank and move someone like Hayes with 50% discount at the dead line. Let Trots install 100% work ethic, shot blocking game and physical play with forecheck.
Maybe move Sanheim and have a strong draft in 2023.
Very hard to move someone at the TDL with term unless they're in their mid-20s or a bon fide star.
Much easier to do so in the summer of 2023 if he had a good season.
Same holds for Atkinson.

Reactions: HAL 1000

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Very hard to move someone at the TDL with term unless they're in their mid-20s or a bon fide star.
Much easier to do so in the summer of 2023 if he had a good season.
Same holds for Atkinson.
You keep mentioning Atkinson. Don't you realize that's twice as ridiculous now with Torts here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You keep mentioning Atkinson. Don't you realize that's twice as ridiculous now with Torts here.
This season, Atkinson will start on the 2nd line, but it's not written in stone.
Torts doesn't play favorites, once you start to decline, you move down the lineup.
If he thinks Brink or Foerster or Allison should play ahead of Atkinson on the 2nd line, they will.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
This season, Atkinson will start on the 2nd line, but it's not written in stone.
Torts doesn't play favorites, once you start to decline, you move down the lineup.
If he thinks Brink or Foerster or Allison should play ahead of Atkinson on the 2nd line, they will.
Atkinson won't decline like you say. He was one of the top guys here last year. Skills like his shot don't just disappear. He may get a little slower but not enough to drop him.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Discs are weird. I once herniated one sitting in an uncomfortable chair for a few hours. Excruciating pain.
Yup. If the muscles tense up they can actually pull the disks out of place without doing much of anything. I unfortunately have learned this the hard way. Stretch and keep that core strong!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad