Player Discussion Joel Eriksson Ek: The 2nd Act

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Because Fiala doesn’t need anyone on his line to actually do things and ek is showing he has more offensive tools than people thought and he can play defense to cover up Fiala warts
First of all, saying that Fiala doesn't need good linemates is ridiculous, but even if you want to go with that theory? You still don't want Fiala playing the same matchups and situations that you want Eriksson-Ek to play. The things that Eriksson-Ek is good at serve no purpose for the things that Fiala is good at.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
First of all, saying that Fiala doesn't need good linemates is ridiculous, but even if you want to go with that theory? You still don't want Fiala playing the same matchups and situations that you want Eriksson-Ek to play. The things that Eriksson-Ek is good at serve no purpose for the things that Fiala is good at.
I’m not saying he doesn’t need good line mates. I’m stating he clearly is capable of doing his thing with whoever. Ek does not need to be the shutdown line... let Sturm take his spot in that role and let ek continue to grow his offense and center Fiala and Boldy or whomever they like with Fiala. He is showing more and more confidence and puck handling ability. We don’t have to force him to be in the shutdown role when Sturm can play his spot on that line with greenway Foligno or Hartman even. Let ek be the Bergeron to Fialas Marchand or pasta. He can be the safety valve

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’m not saying he doesn’t need good line mates. I’m stating he clearly is capable of doing his thing with whoever. Ek does not need to be the shutdown line... let Sturm take his spot in that role and let ek continue to grow his offense and center Fiala and Boldy or whomever they like with Fiala. He is showing more and more confidence and puck handling ability. We don’t have to force him to be in the shutdown role when Sturm can play his spot on that line with greenway Foligno or Hartman even. Let ek be the Bergeron to Fialas Marchand or pasta. He can be the safety valve
Or, you could leave one of the best lines in the league intact, and then try to find a center for Fiala that might actually allow him to be better than he is now.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Or, you could leave one of the best lines in the league intact, and then try to find a center for Fiala that might actually allow him to be better than he is now.
Or we could create a better line by putting Fiala with ek and allow them to grow together and then have our shutdown line only have a small drop off with Sturm centering it. Sturm is perfect for a shutdown role between greenway and Foligno.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
Oh, I don't know. JEE is more than a third line C. And Sturm's recent play has him deserving a shot at 3C. So, in my opinion, it isn't a total stretch to think that at some point in the future, that Rossi, JEE and Sturm are your top three C's

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The Greenway - Ek - Foligno line isn’t a “3rd line” though. I think people get too attached to order of lines, rather than focusing on their roles. That line has proven they can handle the toughest assignments in the league. They’re a shutdown line that can still play regular minutes when you’re down a goal in the final 5 minutes of a game. They’re a line you absolutely need to have on a cup contending team.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
The Greenway - Ek - Foligno line isn’t a “3rd line” though. I think people get too attached to order of lines, rather than focusing on their roles. That line has proven they can handle the toughest assignments in the league. They’re a shutdown line that can still play regular minutes when you’re down a goal in the final 5 minutes of a game. They’re a line you absolutely need to have on a cup contending team.
Agreed. But, IMO, Sturm has the skill set to duplicate some of JEE's 200 ft game dominance. And if true, I think JEE would be the better one to move up to play between one or two of Kap, Fiala and/or Boldy.

Reactions: Spurgeon

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Agreed. But, IMO, Sturm has the skill set to duplicate some of JEE's 200 ft game dominance. And if true, I think JEE would be the better one to move up to play between one or two of Kap, Fiala and/or Boldy.
What about Eriksson-Ek's game makes him a good fit with Kaprizov or Fiala?

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
What about Eriksson-Ek's game makes him a good fit with Kaprizov or Fiala?
Both fast and powerful skater, elite forechecker, strong net front presence, Ability to drive play up the middle of the ice creating space for his wingers, excellent release on his shot (accuracy still a work in progress, but improving.) Outstanding at cycling down low, controlling play in the corners and behind the net..

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

I agree that JEE is definitely the better center. I just like the consistency of that line and would rather keep them together. Experimenting by moving Sturm into a new role should have a higher chance of success than moving two players into new roles.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
I agree that JEE is definitely the better center. I just like the consistency of that line and would rather keep them together. Experimenting by moving Sturm into a new role should have a higher chance of success than moving two players into new roles.
Short term, I agree. But long term, IMO, you generally have to put people in a position to reach their full potential.
IMO, JEE has strong potential to be a long term 2C. I think the world of Sturm, but I would be a bit surprised if he could be a top 6C at his eventual peak.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Both fast and powerful skater, elite forechecker, strong net front presence, Ability to drive play up the middle of the ice creating space for his wingers, excellent release on his shot (accuracy still a work in progress, but improving.) Outstanding at cycling down low, controlling play in the corners and behind the net..
You just described a dump and chase player. Why would you ever want Kaprizov or Fiala to play a dump and chase game.?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You just described a dump and chase player. Why would you ever want Kaprizov or Fiala to play a dump and chase game.?

Well Hartman is already a dump and chase player. Ek is just better all around. And i'd take an effective dump and chase player over an inefective whatever the hell Rask is any day of the week.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well Hartman is already a dump and chase player. Ek is just better all around. And i'd take an effective dump and chase player over an inefective whatever the hell Rask is any day of the week.
Hartman isn't close to skilled enough to play with Fiala, and Hartman is much more skilled than Eriksson Ek

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
The ability to drive play up the middle of the ice is the exact opposite of a dump and chase player. If you're insinuating that JEE's game is limited to dump and chase, I respectfully disagree. If you're saying he's currently a dump and chase C, I would remind you that his wingers average 6'4 235. He's obviously, to a large degree playing to the strengths of his wingers.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
Hartman isn't close to skilled enough to play with Fiala, and Hartman is much more skilled than Eriksson Ek
Hartman is MUCH more skilled than JEE? Love what he brings, but how do you quantify that? He's on his 4th NHL team at age 26. He's never scored more than 31 points in a season. This year he has 21 points (82 game pace of 32). playing for the most part with either Kaprizov or Fiala.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hartman is MUCH more skilled than JEE? Love what he brings, but how do you quantify that? He's on his 4th NHL team at age 26. He's never scored more than 31 points in a season. This year he has 21 points (82 game pace of 32). playing for the most part with either Kaprizov or Fiala.
You're confusing production with skill. Hartman is the better puck handler, passer, playmaker.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
You're confusing production with skill. Hartman is the better puck handler, passer, playmaker.
Hartman should have more than 21 points by accident, playing with Kaprisov or Fiala if he's to be considered a better overall offensive threat than JEE. Remember Foligno has a career high 14 goals in a season.. And Greenway has not been a goal scorer at either the collegiate or NHL ranks. IMO, there's no doubt, JEE's assist numbers would be up considerably playing with a finisher.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Hartman should have more than 21 points by accident, playing with Kaprisov or Fiala if he's to be considered a better overall offensive threat than JEE. Remember Foligno has a career high 14 goals in a season.. And Greenway has not been a goal scorer at either the collegiate or NHL ranks. IMO, there's no doubt, JEE's assist numbers would be up considerably playing with a finisher.
Finishing certainly hasnt been an issue for Foligno this year... dude is shooting like 30%.

Ek's never going to be able to add anything in the offensive zone outside of board play and the odd dirty goal. The skillet for more just isn't there.

Reactions: 2Pair

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
Finishing certainly hasnt been an issue for Foligno this year... dude is shooting like 30%.

Ek's never going to be able to add anything in the offensive zone outside of board play and the odd dirty goal. The skillet for more just isn't there.
I would have totally agreed with you, even a month or two ago. But his confidence level in the puck handling department has improved noticeably. He has an excellent release on his shot. And he's starting to drive play into the zone, creating a lot of space for his wingers. If he has one more level to reach in his overall game, I firmly believe he's a strong 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad