Injury Report: Joe Woll - High Ankle Sprain - Feb 26: Recalled from conditioning stint

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Great news. In the end, the team's success in the playoffs will primarily hinge on him as the goalie.

As for Jones, you have to keep him around at this point, if anything, for insurance purposes. Between Samsonov's volatility, Woll's injury history, and there being little time between now and the trade deadline (let alone the price to acquire a goalie), best the team works the roster around a 3-goalie situation. He's proved more than capable -- both this season with the Leafs stepping up/in and in the past -- to hold things down for a short period of time if required.

I just don’t like holding the goaltending accountable, but the 4 golden boys always get a free pass. And it’s always the usual suspects who do that. IMO, you can not hold a goalie who is making $800,000 or whatever accountable. Then why are the Leafs paying this much cap to the 4 forwards? It’s a nonsensical argument. unless Woll is a total sieve, I ain't holding him accountable for any failure.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Really hope Woll comes back strong. As happy as I am with refreshed Sammy I still believe Woll gives us our best chance..

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The Leafs are probably going to waive Jones on deadline day. My guess is as others have already mentioned, no one will claim him post deadline because he wouldn't even be playoff eligible for a competitive team this season, and a non-competitive team will have no need for a 34 year old Martin Jones.

He essentially will just become an extra 875k in post deadline cap room, and remain the 3rd goalie on the depth chart.
No way they can waive him before the deadline, he would get claimed by multiple teams. Not sure he clears if waived on deadline day, it will depend on other moves made by other teams at the deadline. What if NJ or Phi go out and trade for a goalie from a team that is on the outside looking in. If you waive Jones on Deadline day that team that just traded away a goalie may pick him up the next day to fill the hole they just made.

You almost need a week or so post deadline before you try to sneak him through - then his Cap space is not available at the deadline? When does Jamrok come back?

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
The games against Arizona and Buffalo seem like good starts to get him back up to speed. Wouldn't put him in against Boston or the Rangers just yet.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Mon, February 26, 2024 at 2:44 p.m. EST

TORONTO — The Toronto Maple Leafs have recalled goaltender Joseph Woll from his conditioning stint with the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies, the NHL club announced Monday.
Woll stopped 36 of 37 shots in the Marlies' 4-1 win at Laval on Friday.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
According to CapFriendly, Woll is still on LTIR.
Did Lou teach us that conditioning loan recall did not mean off LTIR? :naughty:

Tre needs to sort out the 3 goalies issue first, Joan has almost no chance to clear the wavier now

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If you waive a player after the deadline and he gets claimed, can he play in the playoffs for his new team?

I'm guessing yes.
Negative, the trade deadline is a bit of a misnomer - it's really the post-season eligibility deadline. It's the same reason that any outstanding UFAs typically don't sign post deadline. So as an example, if someone were to sign Kessel this year, they would have to do so before the TDL if they wanted him on their postseason roster. The same holds true for players acquired via waivers

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I don't think Sammy's head is screwed on right, even now. I would only consider waiving Jones if they can also dump Sammy in a trade for a goalie who has more stability.

Reactions: trellaine201

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think at least of late, Jones has been the one letting in the stinkers vs. Samsonov. But I do take a player's mental state into consideration, especially in this market. Imo, a big reason why the Leafs have not been successful in the playoffs is not due to a lack of talent but more due to mental fragility. Especially with most of the series going down to the final game.

So with that in mind, Samsonov scares me more cause I think Jones is fairly calm. So bit of a weird point with both of them right now.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Jones is going to have to be the odd man out. He was a savior for us early in the season but Samsonov definitely has the higher ceiling and he has been better than Jones since his return.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Jones is going to have to be the odd man out. He was a savior for us early in the season but Samsonov definitely has the higher ceiling and he has been better than Jones since his return.
The only thing I wonder with Samsonov is whether his mental state would hold up if he was relegated to being the backup. I feel like he has had challenges in situations where he was not the number one.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The only thing I wonder with Samsonov is whether his mental state would hold up if he was relegated to being the backup. I feel like he has had challenges in situations where he was not the number one.
If I was Keefe, I would platoon Samsonov and Woll the rest of the way and let their play decide who is the starter in game 1 of the playoffs. If it's too close to call, that will be a great problem to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad