Youtube: Joe Thornton vs Jonathan Toews Feb 15th 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Toews was goading Thornton into a fight, hence the unsportsman like conduct penalty. But if you read the game writeup, Thorton admits that Toews challenges him, and Thornton accepted the fight. How is that an instigator?

46.11 Instigator - An instigator of an altercation shall be a player who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.

A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting and a ten-minute misconduct.

Judrix

Teuvo is Kane's son
Feb 24, 2010
Chicago
maybe he dominated him because he's way larger than him?

just a thought though. Toews haters out in force after that fight.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN
Jonathan Toews was sporting a shiner to his right eye this morning. #Blackhawks

BDPwbCBCcAAk_U0.jpg

Picture courtesy of @MarkLazerus
I think that uppercut Joe threw caught him a little bit.

This is why Toews was mad...

It sucks that that happened, but do you honestly believe Joe meant for him to get a concussion?

Joe likes to antagonize the other teams best players because it gets him into the game and if he has to go off, he's taking a great player with him.

It sucks Toews got hurt and i'm sure Thornton wasn't proud of that, but I think of the play as unfortunate more than I do malicious.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think it all ties in but hey that's just my opinon.
Toews stands up to Thorton last night mostly because of Thorton's cheap shot to Toews' head last season which put him out with a concussion for the remainder of the season ( a concussion that took until November to fully heal ).
Thorton targeted Toews perhaps ( and this is my opinion not backed by any fact ) because of Toews tremendous success ( Olympic Gold, Junior Gold, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe ... ) compared with Thorton's relative lack of success.
Ya gotta admit that a guy like Thorton could be a little pissed that a young gun like Toews gets all the
attention/success while he year in and year out has to settle for the booby prize.

Thornton was a first overall draft pick and has an Olympic Gold, World Junior Gold, World Championships Silver, and World Cup gold. He hasn't won the Stanley Cup...but few have... I don't really like Thornton but saying he's jealous of Toews b/c he isn't as successful is a huge stretch to me :shakehead

Penalty Kill Icing*

Toews stands up to Thorton last night mostly because of Thorton's cheap shot to Toews' head last season which put him out with a concussion for the remainder of the season ( a concussion that took until November to fully heal ).
Thorton targeted Toews perhaps ( and this is my opinion not backed by any fact ) because of Toews tremendous success ( Olympic Gold, Junior Gold, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe ... ) compared with Thorton's relative lack of success.
Ya gotta admit that a guy like Thorton could be a little pissed that a young gun like Toews gets all the
attention/success while he year in and year out has to settle for the booby prize.

I don't buy that logic. These are professional athletes, not girls fighting for cheer leader spots on a high school team. I believe only thing Joe Thorton doesn't have is a cup win and he goes on targetting Toews? So you mean even Crosby needs to watch out because Thorton is coming for his head?

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I don't buy that logic. These are professional athletes, not girls fighting for cheer leader spots on a high school team. I believe only thing Joe Thorton doesn't have is a cup win and he goes on targetting Toews? So you mean even Crosby needs to watch out because Thorton is coming for his head?

:laugh:

I can't believe some people can carry around the notion that underneath the actions of every adult lies the conscience of a 12 year old girl.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Clowe Me

It sucks that that happened, but do you honestly believe Joe meant for him to get a concussion?

Joe likes to antagonize the other teams best players because it gets him into the game and if he has to go off, he's taking a great player with him.

It sucks Toews got hurt and i'm sure Thornton wasn't proud of that, but I think of the play as unfortunate more than I do malicious.

Thornton obviously didnt mean for it, and i have nothing against Toews sticking up for himself, i actually like that... Despite the fact that physically Thornton is a monster, but you can tell thornton wasnt going all in, clearly knew why toews was in his face and let him hang around for a bit, kinda a classy move if you ask me.

If it was a real fight thornton woulda killed the kid lol

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Sorry, American as in American TV announcers. It seems more like gossiping about the game than actually detailing what's going on.

lol Right because there's such a huge difference... Other poster just told you that both announcers were Canadian so I don't really understand what your point is.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007

I don't think for a second that Thornton intended it. At the same time, I can hardly blame Toews for being mad about it. Concussions are serious business. Toews wasn't symptom-free until November (begs the question of why he played in the playoffs at all - you'll have to ask Chicago management and Toews himself).

Thornton didn't do it intentionally, but a punch to the back of the head is cheap no matter which way you slice it. Thornton's not a bad guy and not a cheap player in general, but it was just an unfortunate play for pretty much everyone. If I was Toews, I'd have been mad about it too.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I think that uppercut Joe threw caught him a little bit.

Color me shocked that anything that happened in that video was forceful enough to cause a concussion. Thornton hit Toews harder last night than in the video.

Thornton has a pretty good history of aggitating the opponent's top players, the Toews thing had nothing to do with jealosy over success.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
It wasn't just Thornton last year. The Sharks as a whole were targeting Toews in their matchups last year with lots of late hits, cheap shots after whistles, etc.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Color me shocked that anything that happened in that video was forceful enough to cause a concussion. Thornton hit Toews harder last night than in the video.

Thornton has a pretty good history of aggitating the opponent's top players, the Toews thing had nothing to do with jealosy over success.

I'm almost positive the video doesn't show the punch everyone's talking about. It may have only been shown in-broadcast a little later.

c0rn1

Mar 15, 2012
Sorry, but toews can't hear thornton because he has his stanley cup rings plugged ... Oh, wait!

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Toews is pissed about a concussion that has since healed, so he picks a fight with a much bigger guy during which he could easily end up with another concussion?

Toews = Genius.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Big Joe went super easy on him.

The end result could have been quite nasty if Joe decided to go even half in on Toews. Think what Chara did to McCabe, but with Chara not just trying to embarrass McCabe, and actually go all out on him

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Thornton obviously didnt mean for it, and i have nothing against Toews sticking up for himself, i actually like that... Despite the fact that physically Thornton is a monster, but you can tell thornton wasnt going all in, clearly knew why toews was in his face and let him hang around for a bit, kinda a classy move if you ask me.

If it was a real fight thornton woulda killed the kid lol
I agree. Seemed like he was saying sorry through his actions and not his words.

I don't blame Toews for going after him.

I don't think for a second that Thornton intended it. At the same time, I can hardly blame Toews for being mad about it. Concussions are serious business. Toews wasn't symptom-free until November (begs the question of why he played in the playoffs at all - you'll have to ask Chicago management and Toews himself).

Thornton didn't do it intentionally, but a punch to the back of the head is cheap no matter which way you slice it. Thornton's not a bad guy and not a cheap player in general, but it was just an unfortunate play for pretty much everyone. If I was Toews, I'd have been mad about it too.
I believe Joe was caught up in the moment and made a bad decision. Glad Toews is ok now and I don't blame him wanting to fight and go after Thornton. Even though Toews knows he didn't intend to give him a concussion, he still gave him a concussion.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Thornton was a first overall draft pick and has an Olympic Gold, World Junior Gold, World Championships Silver, and World Cup gold. He hasn't won the Stanley Cup...but few have... I don't really like Thornton but saying he's jealous of Toews b/c he isn't as successful is a huge stretch to me :shakehead

Ok .. I admit it is a stretch.
Minimally he was targeting one of an opponents best players with a cheap shot to the head.
Either way it sucks and reeks of disrespect. Play tough yes, but stay away from head shots.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa

This is so illogical, why go stand in front of the train that hit you before? I would expect someone else to step up and make the statement to not mess with our star player.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
This is so illogical, why go stand in front of the train that hit you before? I would expect someone else to step up and make the statement to not mess with our star player.

Well that "train" was just Thornton sucker punching him in the face while the ref was holding them apart. I'm guessing Toews took exception to it and something said or done last night probably sparked it again.

I have no problem with Toews standing up for himself and fighting (I guess you could call it that) because that's how the guy is. I think all of his fights have pretty much been against guys that could absolutely decimate him. I think his last fight was against Backes for christ sake.

More balls than brains imo but several of the guys in the post game interviews said it gave them some motivation and they ended up scoring soon after. Chicago is deep enough to score without Toews and I'm not so confident you could say the same about Thornton and San Jose so maybe it wasn't as dumb as everyone thinks. Who knows?

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Well that "train" was just Thornton sucker punching him in the face while the ref was holding them apart. I'm guessing Toews took exception to it and something said or done last night probably sparked it again.

I have no problem with Toews standing up for himself and fighting (I guess you could call it that) because that's how the guy is. I think all of his fights have pretty much been against guys that could absolutely decimate him. I think his last fight was against Backes for christ sake.

More balls than brains imo but several of the guys in the post game interviews said it gave them some motivation and they ended up scoring soon after. Chicago is deep enough to score without Toews and I'm not so confident you could say the same about Thornton and San Jose so maybe it wasn't as dumb as everyone thinks. Who knows?

Losing Toews for an extended period if he does that with someone who doesn't show the same restraint could be a problem imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad