Joe Pavelski is ageless

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Most players that still produce in late 30s tend to fall of a cliff rather instantly at some point. The same thing happen to Patrick Marleau. I think JoeP might last longer though as his game doesn’t really rely on speed and as long he can stay healthy as he ages he can still be effective in his 40s.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Most players that still produce in late 30s tend to fall of a cliff rather instantly at some point. The same thing happen to Patrick Marleau. I think JoeP might last longer though as his game doesn’t really rely on speed and as long he can stay healthy as he ages he can still be effective in his 40s.

It’s really interesting how he struggled in Dallas at first, then *click* he’s hitting a career high in points at 37.

One of the smartest, latest bloomers of all-time. Just slowly figured out his game, pretty unique career for the modern NHL.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It’s really interesting how he struggled in Dallas at first, then *click* he’s hitting a career high in points at 37.

One of the smartest, latest bloomers of all-time. Just slowly figured out his game, pretty unique career for the modern NHL.
I mean it’s not that surprising he struggled with a new team, but man did he find it during the playoffs.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dude is smart. He's never been very talented, physically. It seems like his smarts are developing as fast as his physical abilities diminish.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
2003 was one of the greatest drafts of all time, and Pavelski -- selected 205th overall in the 7th round -- is going to be the top scorer. He's already the top goal scorer, and he needs only 7 more points to pass Eric Staal for most points. Incredible. He'll come out ahead of Staal, Bergeron, Perry, Vanek, Getzlaf, etc.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I mean it’s not that surprising he struggled with a new team, but man did he find it during the playoffs.

Eh, at 35 there were a lot of fans saying he was done, bad signing, etc. In hindsight it’s obviously adjustment to a new team, but at the time I’d say the majority thought he was a good fit in SJ and was now just old by nhl standards. I intend this to credit Pavelski- he proved a lot of hardcore fans wrong here. I’d swear it was like 35% saying “new city, give him time.” Everyone else was all “old, bad fit.” No one said “hey, bet he hits his career high for points.”

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Iirc the Sharks chose not to extend him because Joe wanted a 3 year contract, and Wilson wouldn't consent. This is his 5th year with Dallas.

Production with the Stars: 118 G 179 A, and counting. The guy is amazing.

Has there been a better guy at tipping goals in league history?

Reactions: Tryamw and Mrfenn92

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Meanwhile Seguin is only 32 and his production fell off a cliff 4 years ago.

From an outsider's perspective it has been really strange to see this Stars roster evolve.

Benn and Seguin must be the two least talked about underperforming 9.5M deals. Theyre still good, but their reputation has been saved by management finding/developing incredible young players to take over the star roles.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
His play style ages well. He isn't a speed demon or a power skater, he scores with his hockey IQ and deflections. I can see him being productive for another 4+ years.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think he could play up until fifty.

Not in the NHL, but almost certainly like Jagr in Europe.

Meanwhile Seguin is only 32 and his production fell off a cliff 4 years ago.

From an outsider's perspective it has been really strange to see this Stars roster evolve.

Benn and Seguin must be the two least talked about underperforming 9.5M deals. Theyre still good, but their reputation has been saved by management finding/developing incredible young players to take over the star roles.

One thing you can give both of them credit for is that their production did fall off from their peak, but then it stabilized. They both didn't fall completely off the face of the planet like some players do. Even with Dallas being totally en fuego/cannot miss at developing late first/second round talent in recent years, that helps a lot.

Last edited:

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Hasn’t missed a regular season game since before the Covid shutdown. Among the five with a longer active consecutive games played streak are fellow American and Dallas Star Ryan Suter and fellow ex-Shark Brent Burns- all 39 years old.

Reactions: Bone Density

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Hasn’t missed a regular season game since before the Covid shutdown. Among the five with a longer active consecutive games played streak are fellow American and Dallas Star Ryan Suter and fellow ex-Shark Brent Burns- all 39 years old.

2003 draft was built different.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad