Blue Jays Discussion: Joe Panik: the hero we deserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That stupid bullshit closer logic is one of my most hated bits of folksy baseball truisms. Holding back a player because you might need him an inning from then or two innings from then or whatever because maybe things break right and it becomes a save situation is how you lose games.

Is an important inning coming up? Do you need to get 3 outs without giving up any runs? Run your best reliever out there. If you're lucky enough to have 2 or 3 guys on that tier that you can juggle things, awesome. Go for it. But with Merryweather hurt and nobody else in the pen looking like a lock to shut down the Sox for an inning, go for the smallest gamble you can.

And if Dolis then blows it in the 10th, well at least you actually got to the 10th. That's more than you can say for him blowing it in the 9th while Romano sits out beyond the fence wondering when the phone will ring.

I don't want to trot out my "Save situations are overblown and closers haven't shifted the balance of power in the 9th like Charlie seems to think" rant again, but I will if we keep going down this dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb road.

Reactions: MS

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This Springer prospect we have hitting leadoff for the Bisons tonight looks decent. Any chance we see him on top 100 prospects lists anytime soon?

Reactions: thehockeysong

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kevin Smith homerun again. Springer 0 for 4. I'm now convinced that it was Kevin Smith injured all along, and Springer was and still is pretending to be Kevin Smith in the minors

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Man read the clause for Bauer’s opt out for the Dodgers. It’s insane. If he opts out 12 million of his salary is deferred interest free to be paid out over 9 years from 2031 to 2040 or something like that.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That stupid bullshit closer logic is one of my most hated bits of folksy baseball truisms. Holding back a player because you might need him an inning from then or two innings from then or whatever because maybe things break right and it becomes a save situation is how you lose games.

Is an important inning coming up? Do you need to get 3 outs without giving up any runs? Run your best reliever out there. If you're lucky enough to have 2 or 3 guys on that tier that you can juggle things, awesome. Go for it. But with Merryweather hurt and nobody else in the pen looking like a lock to shut down the Sox for an inning, go for the smallest gamble you can.

And if Dolis then blows it in the 10th, well at least you actually got to the 10th. That's more than you can say for him blowing it in the 9th while Romano sits out beyond the fence wondering when the phone will ring.

I don't want to trot out my "Save situations are overblown and closers haven't shifted the balance of power in the 9th like Charlie seems to think" rant again, but I will if we keep going down this dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb road.

You'd think the Jays of all teams would know how badly that save guys for the next inning shit can come back to haunt you.

"Naaaah i don't need to bring Zach Britton in yet. Ubaldo Jimenez can fix this" - an unnamed jackass from many moons ago.

At this point Charlie and fate are to blame. The bullpen doesn't have enough arms and Charlie is trying to play 4D interdimensional backgammon with the ones he does have.

The only logical solution is to convert Joe Panik to a reliever.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Some of these pen arms aren’t working so we got to give some guys in Buffalo a shot. Thing is Buffalo has one of the best bullpens in all of the minors. Edwards could be out awhile, just freed up a 40 man spot.

One guy is up but I would really like to see Overton get a shot. Overton had better numbers than Edward Jr. in everything except GB%. He might be the next guy.

Harris came from the Yankees in the Rule 5 draft. Baker was from the Oh trade.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Curtis Taylor who came from the Rays in the Sogard deal. In 16 innings across AA and AAA he has struck out almost 18 per 9 but walked 4 per 9. Taylor’s K% is higher than Pearson and Manoah and he is only a year older than Pearson.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
One option that hasn't been mentioned: Big Nate.

I don't want to give up on him as a starter, but he would absolutely shove as a closer.

We always knew it was a possibility but I just wouldn't want to move him back and forth and ruin his development at this early stage.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
One option that hasn't been mentioned: Big Nate.

I don't want to give up on him as a starter, but he would absolutely shove as a closer.

We always knew it was a possibility but I just wouldn't want to move him back and forth and ruin his development at this early stage.

I could see it late in the season in a Sanchez-type role - getting him some more major league experience while he's on an innings limit with the understanding that he's a starter next year. I think it's too soon to do it now. The hope should still be that he can come up and start sometime over the next month or two.

Murphy and Hatch should be up now, though.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Jays need to fix the bullpen and need to do it quick. This season will be lost on this pace.

The rotation has been better then expected with Ryu, Matz, Ray, Stripling and Manoah. But what is the point to go 5-6 innings with the lead for the bullpen to continuously give the lead up. On my count its 9 games now that the bullpen has blown.

What is Shatkins waiting for? Trade deadline is too late. Now is the time to pounce. Manager and players are getting frustrated.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
In fairness to management, we've been decimated by injuries to the pitching staff.

It's a shame because with a healthy bullpen, we could be right there at the top of the division.

We need a trade badly.

Reactions: aingefan

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Likely tough time to get much done on the trade front unfortunately. This early in the year there aren't many teams ready to give up and trade whatever they have without a big overpay. Usually they'll wait till closer to the deadline

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Likely tough time to get much done on the trade front unfortunately. This early in the year there aren't many teams ready to give up and trade whatever they have without a big overpay. Usually they'll wait till closer to the deadline
With all these arm injuries I’d be surprised if teams held on to their guys as long as they could and risk losing them for nothing to an injury before they can be traded. But what do I know?

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
With all these arm injuries I’d be surprised if teams held on to their guys as long as they could and risk losing them for nothing to an injury before they can be traded. But what do I know?

Hopefully, even one arm would help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad