Cut/Released: Joe Girardi fired by Phillies

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I was mad when the Cubs hired David Ross and not Girardi.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Rob Thompson is named interim manager. Unless he can go back in time and not have DD sign a bunch of DH's, what does this change?

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes, blame the manager.

Phillies bullpen has been awful for the past couple years, they were pretty poor defensively as well. Dave Dombrowski, in his infinite wisdom decided to fix the brutal bullpen and defense by signing...Kyle Schwarber and Nick Castellanos. Both of who are absolutely useless defensively (Schwarber especially) to the point they're worth a combined like .1 WAR together.

The Phillies haven't had a farm since like the mid 2000s and continue to think they can just buy their problems away.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They also can’t find a centerfielder and haven’t been able to since they had Victorino. Not even defensively adequate, but literally any in general. Complete joke that they ran it back with Herrera, and then had to bring back Roman Quinn after non-tendering him and being on a brief minor league deal with the god damn marlins. All to bridge the gap to give Mickey Moniak a chance :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes, blame the manager.

Phillies bullpen has been awful for the past couple years, they were pretty poor defensively as well. Dave Dombrowski, in his infinite wisdom decided to fix the brutal bullpen and defense by signing...Kyle Schwarber and Nick Castellanos. Both of who are absolutely useless defensively (Schwarber especially) to the point they're worth a combined like .1 WAR together.

The Phillies haven't had a farm since like the mid 2000s and continue to think they can just buy their problems away.

Dombrowski special. Spend like crazy in free agency on big names and then trade whatever good prospects you have for more big names. Second part hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will at some point.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Dombrowski special. Spend like crazy in free agency on big names and then trade whatever good prospects you have for more big names. Second part hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will at some point.

Does Philly even have any prospects they can trade outside of Stott? I feel like that's also part of the problem because Dombrowski's spending has kept them from being truly awful enough to acquire blue chippers.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Does Philly even have any prospects they can trade outside of Stott? I feel like that's also part of the problem because Dombrowski's spending has kept them from being truly awful enough to acquire blue chippers.

Not that I'm aware of - when he took over Boston they had a decent collection of prospects so hence why he was able to make big moves like the Sale trade.

But in Philly, it looks like hes trying to spend his way to the playoffs. Not working.

Reactions: Blitzkrug

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Yes, blame the manager.

Seen their awful bullpen and defense on full display vs the Mets this season. Our comeback from down 7-1 in the 9th, as well as the general idea of simply putting the ball in play against their subpar D being a good and simple approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad