Confirmed with Link: Joe Colborne moves back to centre

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He was the top rated skater on NHL central scouting and plays a great two-way game. What could possibly make you think that he's going to be a second line winger? He's got as good a shot at being a franchise forward as at least Draisaitl.
I just don't think anyone from the 2014 draft class will turn into a surefire 1st line forward (or defensemen). I think they might have flashes and be 1st/2nd line tweeners like Langkow or Conroy,

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I just don't think anyone from the 2014 draft class will turn into a surefire 1st line forward (or defensemen). I think they might have flashes and be 1st/2nd line tweeners like Langkow or Conroy,

That's reasonable. Only time will tell. I always felt like the ceilings were there on some of the players, but just fewer of them than in most other draft classes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's reasonable. Only time will tell. I always felt like the ceilings were there on some of the players, but just fewer of them than in most other draft classes.
I've believed that Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl and Bennett are more in the Nurse/Nichkushkin range for quite a while now. I believe any of the top 6 in 2013 would have gone #1 had they been born a year later.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I've believed that Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl and Bennett are more in the Nurse/Nichkushkin range for quite a while now. I believe any of the top 6 in 2013 would have gone #1 had they been born a year later.

Well Nichkushkin would have gone top 3 or 4 last year but due to the face he was Russian and was trying to get out of his contract he fell to 10th. Steal for Dallas.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well Nichkushkin would have gone top 3 or 4 last year but due to the face he was Russian and was trying to get out of his contract he fell to 10th. Steal for Dallas.
I don't buy that, I think Russian players get over hyped sometimes as compensation for the "Russian Factor", I believe this to be the case with Nichkushkin.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, I think the Russian factor kicked in for a few spots. Dallas certainly got a steal. Makes me laugh that Vancouver has passed up on Nichkushkin and now Ehlers/Nylander. I don't think Virtanen will pan out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know about that. He was pretty dynamic as a rookie last year.
Talent wise sure he is comparable, but his character is also in question. Rumors of him demanding an NHL job right from the start., that plays a role in things. At best Nichkushkin is Alexei Kovalev 2.0 IMO, all the talent in the world but lots of character issues

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Last years draft wasn't considered to be the strongest as in there may not of been any franchise players, but many analysts have said that the top part of the draft was very strong in comparison to other years.

Here's a breakdown of the top 5 players drafted from 2011-14 and their point production in their draft season:

2011 Draft:

1) Nugent-Hopkins - 106pts
2) Landeskog - 66pts
3) Huberdeau - 105pts
4) Larsson - 9pts (SEL)
5) Strome - 106pts

2012 Draft:

1) Yakupov - 101pts
2) Murray - 31pts
3) Galchenyuk - 0pts
4) G. Reinhart - 36pts
5) Rielly - 18pts

2013 Draft:

1) MacKinnon - 75pts
2) Barkov - 48pts (FEL)
3) Drouin - 105pts
4) Jones - 56pts
5) Lindholm - 30pts (SEL)

2014 Draft:

1) Ekblad - 53pts
2) S. Reinhart - 105pts
3) Draisaitl - 105pts
4) Bennett - 91pts
5) Dal Colle - 95pts

There is a lot more to a player than just his production, what kind of a player they are and what kind of intangibles they offer play a huge role in what they will become. But going off of production, the top 5 of this past draft stacks up quite well in comparison to recent years. And from my personal opinion, I'd say the players in this draft will be every bit as good as 2011's.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
^ I thought the 2014 draft was going to be weak, but maybe they meant weak outside of the 1st round, because the 1st round had a lot of quality players. I could even see players like Perlini or Milano making noise.

Wow, we are way OT :laugh:. Colborne had another strong game as a center, I think he'll be a solid middle 6 C/RW for the Flames.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
^ I thought the 2014 draft was going to be weak, but maybe they meant weak outside of the 1st round, because the 1st round had a lot of quality players. I could even see players like Perlini or Milano making noise.

Wow, we are way OT :laugh:. Colborne had another strong game as a center, I think he'll be a solid middle 6 C/RW for the Flames.

I didn't want to post that there, but I also did not want to create another thread for that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

No one is saying guys won't be quality players, I just don't think the top 5 guys are going to be "elite".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad