Confirmed with Link: Joe Colborne moves back to centre

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This isn't really news, Hartley is playing Colborne as center to most likely give us more flexibility when forming lines. While I do think that Colborne plays better on the wing, I did like what I saw from him in his previous preseason game, he even won over 50% of his draws (55%). I guarantee we'll see him on the wing some time this year, but I guess it depends on how well Hudler/Raymond are doing on the RW.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
It's a stop gap. When Backlund returns Joe will be back on wing.

[NHL]632307[/NHL]

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think this will just be until Backlund is healthy, but if it's not perhaps Backlund moves to the wing? That's what I would do, Colborne is better in the circle than Backlund.

But more importantly it opens up new line debates! :naughty:

With Backlund out:

Raymond - Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Baertschi/Gaudreau - Colborne - Setoguchi
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I feel as though this reduces the chances we see Bennett stay up for a few games.

I feel as though it is just responsible on the team's part to make sure they're prepared in case he doesn't earn his way on. I still think that if he earns it, a spot will be opened for him. Colborne would probably move back to wing.

Aug 3, 2010
I feel that, of the Flames' possible centre options, only Monahan, Backlund, Stajan, and MAYBE Bouma or Reinhart strike me as true centres (which really speaks to the difficulty and importance of the position across all lines.)
While players like Bennett, Granlund, or Colborne CAN play centre, they will probably find more success on the wing than as a career pivot anchoring their lines.

Just my thoughts, especially after watching Colborne succeed on wing and the mediocre results of the Cammalleri experiment on centre last season.

Aug 3, 2010
Bennett is a centre. And a good one.

As much as I hope that to be true, it's not unlikely that his style of game suits wing as well. He's probably a smarter Poirier-like prospect in that regard. Furthermore, if one of Eichel or McDavid were selected instead of a defender like Hanifin, where does Bennett sit in a core of Backlund-Monahan-Stajan-McDavid/Eichel?

I would not supplant the proven NHL-level centres nor brush aside the likely superior potential of Eichel/McDavid for Bennett to play centre. Stajan would probably get moved at some point but it's not like Bennett's talents should be relegated to third line.

In my ideal view, the Flames' future core looks like:

McDavid/Eichel
Backlund/Monahan
Backlund/Monahan
Bouma/Reinhart

with a combination of Gaudreau, Baertschi, Granlund, Poirier, Bennett, Klimchuk, Colborne in the top six as wingers. Also, it's almost always been easier for a centre to convert to wing than vice-versa and the Flames management should have no want to leave any potential high-octane offensive talent languishing in the bottom six playing their 'natural' position instead of producing in the top six.

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic. I should be saying that I don't mind having Colborne back at centre fr a bit especially as Backlund's out. It's one of the great advantages of having centres converted to wing - they can usually sub back into their old style of play easier than a natural winger trying to play a pivot's game. But I am looking forward to Colborne returning to play alongside Monahan.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
As much as I hope that to be true, it's not unlikely that his style of game suits wing as well. He's probably a smarter Poirier-like prospect in that regard. Furthermore, if one of Eichel or McDavid were selected instead of a defender like Hanifin, where does Bennett sit in a core of Backlund-Monahan-Stajan-McDavid/Eichel?

I would not supplant the proven NHL-level centres nor brush aside the likely superior potential of Eichel/McDavid for Bennett to play centre. Stajan would probably get moved at some point but it's not like Bennett's talents should be relegated to third line.

McDavid/Eichel
Backlund/Monahan
Backlund/Monahan
Bouma/Reinhart

with a combination of Gaudreau, Baertschi, Granlund, Poirier, Bennett, Klimchuk, Colborne in the top six as wingers. Also, it's almost always been easier for a centre to convert to wing than vice-versa and the Flames management should have no want to leave any potential high-octane offensive talent languishing in the bottom six playing their 'natural' position instead of producing in the top six.

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic. I should be saying that I don't mind having Colborne back at centre fr a bit especially as Backlund's out. It's one of the great advantages of having centres converted to wing - they can usually sub back into their old style of play easier than a natural winger trying to play a pivot's game. But I am looking forward to Colborne returning to play alongside Monahan.
Bouma and Reinhart both play wing at this point. I'm thinking Knight/Arnold is a fairly likely scenario for that 4th center spot. Granlund has actually played center so far in the AHL (correct me if I'm wrong) but I doubt he will in the NHL. I agree that Bennett will likely play wing in pros. And I'm fine with that.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

McDavid/Eichel
Backlund/Monahan
Backlund/Monahan
Bouma/Reinhart

You cant juat assume we end up with Eichel or Mcdavid. Living in an OHL town, I see a lot of Bennett. he is a damn good centre and I see no reason why we would expect him to play anywhere else.

He has first line centre upside. Wqs far better offensively than Monahan in junior, and Monahan did 3 years and Bennett has only been playing there for 2.

I dont know how much of Bennett you guys have actually watched, but i watched 25-35 games of his last year (live and on tv) and im fairly confident i have a good read of him. Plan on going to see him live a few times this year.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think this will just be until Backlund is healthy, but if it's not perhaps Backlund moves to the wing? That's what I would do, Colborne is better in the circle than Backlund.

But more importantly it opens up new line debates! :naughty:

With Backlund out:

Raymond - Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Baertschi/Gaudreau - Colborne - Setoguchi
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan

I kinda like that actually! Think I'd switch Raymond and Glencross, as well as the 2nd/3rd lines but looks pretty good. I think we all know the limitations of Raymond/Stajan/Jones, I'd like to give the Sven/Gaudreau/Colborne/Setoguchi line the opertunity to excel offensively

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I kinda like that actually! Think I'd switch Raymond and Glencross, as well as the 2nd/3rd lines but looks pretty good. I think we all know the limitations of Raymond/Stajan/Jones, I'd like to give the Sven/Gaudreau/Colborne/Setoguchi line the opertunity to excel offensively
I put Raymond with Huds and Monahan because that has been a line in training camp and have reportedly looked quite good.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I put Raymond with Huds and Monahan because that has been a line in training camp and have reportedly looked quite good.

I'd definitely like those three to develop some chemistry.

Another line with good chemistry is Glencross - Stajan - Byron. If I am remembering right, this line did pretty well together.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think whether or not Bennett plays center or wing for us, that will be up to him. It's to early to say, but I think he's going to be a valuable player for nonetheless. I'm really high on Bennett, I love his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: