GDT: jockets @ cops, 5:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I still don’t know why Strome was taken off Ovie’s line. They were playing so damn well.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Pretty obvious they want to try Strome in the wing before they try Eller or Kuzy. Strome has more history with playing in the W, so he might have the easiest route to transfer his success at C to W. Im sure they'll give it few games atleast to see if it bites, and if not, then they will try Eller on the W.

2 points from this game covers up couple lost points on games where we were just out of bounces. We are still down some on those..

Expected returns from #19 and #43. It will take time for them to get it going, their injuries were tough ones.

Blue shirts suck.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It’s one game…..maybe chill….there’s no exact way….we’re going to see many combos while they figure out their best lineup. Buckle up for more of the same. The success of this franchise does not hinge on Eller despite your obsession.

It’s less about Eller’s role and more about Strome’s role going forward. It just seems odd to me that their starting point with 19/43 returning to the lineup was to move their best center out of his natural position.

Reactions: Jags

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Pretty obvious they want to try Strome in the wing before they try Eller or Kuzy. Strome has more history with playing in the W, so he might have the easiest route to transfer his success at C to W. Im sure they'll give it few games atleast to see if it bites, and if not, then they will try Eller on the W.

I wonder if Anthony Mantha has played wing before? They should ask him. Might be nice if we sat a center and let everyone play their natural positions.

• Haha
Reactions: YippieKaey

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
How Backy and Willy looked for their debut?
Understandably not very good. By the end Wilson looked better, skated hard, threw a couple hits. Nicky looked about like you'd expect. Not worried about his hands, but his skating will be an issue if he doesn't have a lot of rust he can shake off. Probably gonna be a couple rocky games while they sort out the chemistry and personnel.

Reactions: ovikovy817

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s less about Eller’s role and more about Strome’s role going forward. It just seems odd to me that their starting point with 19/43 returning to the lineup was to move their best center out of his natural position.
Because they clearly see Backstrom as a better (longterm) option at top-6 C (assuming healthy), and are looking at any way to keep Strome in the top-6. Seems obvious.

No reason to not try their options. Most important is finding out if NB can handle it, because if not, he’s unlikely to handle the more defensive 3C role.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Because they clearly see Backstrom as a better (longterm) option at top-6 C (assuming healthy), and are looking at any way to keep Strome in the top-6. Seems obvious.

No reason to not try their options. Most important is finding out if NB can handle it, because if not, he’s unlikely to handle the more defensive 3C role.

I agree there’s no reason not to try their options. I’m just worried because in the past Laviolette has had options but he ended up sticking with the inferior option despite evidence that it wasn’t working.

I again point to the Justin Schultz example in 2021 where he was continually slotted in the top 4 D despite struggling and having a perfectly good Nick Jensen who could have better absorbed those minutes. I point to the Martin Fehervary example last year where he struggled immensely down the stretch yet he was never replaced with a superior option in the top 4 (namely TVR) despite pretty much everyone saying his minutes should have been reduced.

That doesn’t mean something similar is going to happen again this year with Strome and the center position, but the fact that there were instances in the past of better options being available yet not taken makes me a little bit uneasy about how Laviolette is going to handle the current situation. Especially since I think he started with what was probably one of the worst options last night.

Reactions: Jags and Drakon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
:
I agree there’s no reason not to try their options. I’m just worried because in the past Laviolette has had options but he ended up sticking with the inferior option despite evidence that it wasn’t working.

I again point to the Justin Schultz example in 2021 where he was continually slotted in the top 4 D despite struggling and having a perfectly good Nick Jensen who could have better absorbed those minutes. I point to the Martin Fehervary example last year where he struggled immensely down the stretch yet he was never replaced with a superior option in the top 4 (namely TVR) despite pretty much everyone saying his minutes should have been reduced.

That doesn’t mean something similar is going to happen again this year with Strome and the center position, but the fact that there were instances in the past of better options being available yet not taken makes me a little bit uneasy about how Laviolette is going to handle the current situation. Especially since I think he started with what was probably one of the worst options last night.
There are always going to be questionable roster decisions. Strome isn’t a 3C any more than Backstrom is, so if they’re dead set on keeping both in the top-6, what happens on the lines below are inconsequential. We’ll see.

I’m not at all concerned now as figuring out Backstrom’s path forward is the bigger priority.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
:

There are always going to be questionable roster decisions. Strome isn’t a 3C any more than Backstrom is, so if they’re dead set on keeping both in the top-6, what happens on the lines below are inconsequential. We’ll see.

I’m not at all concerned now as figuring out Backstrom’s path forward is the bigger priority.
right, and Kuzy isn't more of a defensive center either

Ovi-Strome and Milano-Kuzy pairs are working, why mess with them?

Mojo/Mantha-Backstrom-Wilson if you need but keep Milano-Kuzy-Oshie then at least

the assumption that Backstrom is good long term is very suspect

logic tells me 3C with good wingers is his real niche now (alternative is to ruin 1st line)

with each coming year Backstrom should lose effectiveness, why bet on him now?

get him quality wingers and respectable ice time, including PP

no more

Reactions: PlushMinus and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad