Job Hopping?

Is job hopping ethical?

• Total voters
Sep 19, 2008
So there is someone named Mr. P that I know.

Mr. P recently moved to a city and took a New job.

after a few months P decided he wanted to interview elsewhere. The Job itself didn't mistreat him, in fact he was able to play kickball and go home for lunch every day to take care of his blind dog.

Is it morally ethical for P to interview repeatedly with another company when he would make The same pay and work in the same area? On a related note do employers look favorably towards candidate's that only stay at companies for a few months before quitting?

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
You shouldn't switch jobs every 2 months, but it's ok to look for a permanent solution once you get established in a new city.

Nice misleading poll option tho.
Shouldn't you be working right now instead of giving condescending advice on a messageboard to people that likely have more important jobs than you yourself have?

Reactions: G F O P

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Yes show loyalty to a company that will and can cut you at any point just because they feel like it. "Showing loyalty" is a mindset companies try to force employees into to feel guilty about leaving to ensure stability. Yes, if you jump from job to job every couple months you'll have to explain why you've done so (or perhaps leave some of them off your resume and say you've been job hunting since the first one). But there is no harm in trying a place out and realizing it's not a good fit.

This doesn't apply to "Mr. P's" situation at all. So you, like usual, look like a buffoon.

Reactions: G F O P
Sep 19, 2008
Yes show loyalty to a company that will and can cut you at any point just because they feel like it. "Showing loyalty" is a mindset companies try to force employees into to feel guilty about leaving to ensure stability. Yes, if you jump from job to job every couple months you'll have to explain why you've done so (or perhaps leave some of them off your resume and say you've been job hunting since the first one). But there is no harm in trying a place out and realizing it's not a good fit.

This doesn't apply to "Mr. P's" situation at all. So you, like usual, look like a buffoon.
Mr. P has no viable reason to leave a job that by all accounts pays him well and gives him free food.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
There's a big difference between going to a company and leaving after 2 months and doing it a number of times.
If you do it once, you simply say you weren't happy for whatever reason. Or whatever valid reason you may have.

Repeated behaviour will not be looked upon very well.

One thing to keep in mind is, if they weren't happy with Mr. P's performance, they'd have no issue showing him the door.

Reactions: irunthepeg

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Mr. P has no viable reason to leave a job that by all accounts pays him well and gives him free food.

Mr. P stated... and I quote:

Mr P. said:
I’d get 2 more vacation weeks per year and unlimited sick time. And I’d be working with people who have the same hobbies as me. Oh and a pay raise.

So it looks like he does have a viable reason to leave a job. So. Continue on with your buffoonery.

Reactions: RayP
Sep 19, 2008
We literally said yes if you are constantly moving jobs within a few month period that it can look bad if it's on your resume but that's not what Ra-- Mr. P is doing.
You never ever said this in fact when I argued thus you all got defensive

your whole stance is that you owe a company nothing and can constantly switch jobs.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
You never ever said this in fact when I argued thus you all got defensive

your whole stance is that you owe a company nothing and can constantly switch jobs.

There is nothing inherently wrong with moving jobs that often but potential employers may not like it and it is the risk you take. But nothing stops you or prevents you from doing so and it is well within your right. Just like it is well within your right to have no expertise on the aforementioned subject as you haven't had a job in 69 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad