Jimmy Vesey discussion continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
vesey is far from a lock to be a quality nhler, let alone a top 6er.

Agreed. You see the same thing every year with the top college player available. More often than not they end up being fringe players. Just look at the history of hobey baker winners as the only proof you need:

http://www.uscho.com/faq/hobey/

Some gems for sure, but a lot of misses in there. Hopefully Vesey is one of the good ones.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
August 15th... but you'll probably hear a pretty substancial rumour to sign with X team before that.

I could see his rights traded around draft time also.

Sorry...quick question: What would getting his rights do for us? Still gets an ELC for 3 years?

Also...any thoughts on what getting his rights might cost? I guessing Nash will happily take anything

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I have the same feeling about That too. Think Milan will probably be move for future picks before the season.

Would we be giving or receiving those future picks?
$4 million cap hit next season=negative value

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm beginning to wonder if the Leafs will even have room for Jimmy Vesey? Ignoring Stamkos for a moment, because he's a whole magnitude of UFA different than Vesey, the Leafs have the following forwards who are around the same age as him (+/- 2 years):

Matthews
Nylander
Marner

Brown
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnson
Lindberg
Leispic

Timashov
Bracco
Dzierkals

And these are only the kids who will be coming into the NHL around the same time period, not the established core pieces like Kadri, JVR who are also in the mix.

And add 12 more picks, some % of whom will be forwards.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I'm beginning to wonder if the Leafs will even have room for Jimmy Vesey? Ignoring Stamkos for a moment, because he's a whole magnitude of UFA different than Vesey, the Leafs have the following forwards who are around the same age as him (+/- 2 years):

Matthews
Nylander
Marner

Brown
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnson
Lindberg
Leispic

Timashov
Bracco
Dzierkals

And these are only the kids who will be coming into the NHL around the same time period, not the established core pieces like Kadri, JVR who are also in the mix.

You're lucky if two of the middle bucket actually turn into anything. Anything more, then great you have an excess of talent that can be trading to shore up other areas.

If you have a chance to add a piece (for free) that is better than any of those guys on that last, you do it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You're lucky if two of the middle bucket actually turn into anything. Anything more, then great you have an excess of talent that can be trading to shore up other areas.

If you have a chance to add a piece (for free) that is better than any of those guys on that last, you do it.

You're absolutely right. Be a greedy pig and stockpile whenever, whatever you can. The only thing that you worry about is you went out and grabbed a mystery box, but had to throw away a mystery box to make room, only to find out what you originally had might have been a little better. But these are good problems to have as opposed to waiting on Viktor Stalberg to turn into an impact player, as we were doing a few seasons ago.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You're absolutely right. Be a greedy pig and stockpile whenever, whatever you can. The only thing that you worry about is you went out and grabbed a mystery box, but had to throw away a mystery box to make room, only to find out what you originally had might have been a little better. But these are good problems to have as opposed to waiting on Viktor Stalberg to turn into an impact player, as we were doing a few seasons ago.

Yeah but it should be an easy call. One contact in, one goes out. You pick a guy you think is worse than Vesey and ship him out for a pick or as part of a multiple player deal like we swung with the isles.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Receiving those picks. Think there will be teams who will follow what the Leafs did last season and try to pump up the value of UFA. Like giving Leafs a 4th rounder for Milan in the summer, and hope to flip him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at TDL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Matthews
Nylander
Marner

Brown
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnson
Lindberg
Leispic

Timashov
Bracco
Dzierkals

Mike Babcock likes Size & Strength with skill,smarts, compete in his players and Vesey is 6-3/205 power forward that snipes. When Babcock was asked what he liked about Tobias Lindberg he responded with I like his size" ;) Lindberg is 6-3/195 similar to Vesey.

1/2 that bottom list you named are all super smurfs that lack both the size and strength component. You might as well toss all those guys in a hat pick out 1 and say he makes it and all the rest too bad so sad we only have room for a small amount of you small guys.

So if given the choice between a 6-3/205 Vesey and pack of smurfs he would likely favour the player that best suits his desires best of type of NHLer. Winning the Hobey Baker as best college player in 2016 means Vesey brings skill and smarts with that NHL size.

Unfortunately I believe Vesey with sign with his hometown favourite Bruins and the Leafs will have to play against Vesey and not with him.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Mike Babcock likes Size & Strength with skill,smarts, compete in his players and Vesey is 6-3/205 power forward that snipes. When Babcock was asked what he liked about Tobias Lindberg he responded with I like his size" ;) Lindberg is 6-3/195 similar to Vesey.

1/2 that bottom list you named are all super smurfs that lack both the size and strength component. You might as well toss all those guys in a hat pick out 1 and say he makes it and all the rest too bad so sad we only have room for a small amount of you small guys.

So if given the choice between a 6-3/205 Vesey and pack of smurfs he would likely favour the player that best suits his desires best of type of NHLer. Winning the Hobey Baker as best college player in 2016 means Vesey brings skill and smarts with that NHL size.

Unfortunately I believe Vesey with sign with his hometown favourite Bruins and the Leafs will have to play against Vesey and not with him.

Yep...would be crazy to think we don't try for Vessey. I think someone else posted this too but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Boston rumors were started to downplay any 'tampering' accusations directed at the leafs. ie. He didn't leave Nashville to come here, he left Nashville and was bound for Boston...but eventually picked Toronto. Canada's Team. The Passion That Unites Us All!!!

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

I can see a team that needs to fill the salary floor and put warm bodies on the roster doing something similar to the grabner deal we did with the islanders last season. A bunch of useless contracts and future considerations for him

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Matthews
Nylander
Marner

Brown
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnson
Lindberg
Leispic

Timashov
Bracco
Dzierkals

If he's an upgrade over anybody in this list at all... it isn't Vesey who we should be worried about room for, it's the other players who fit in below him. As a prospect believed to be around 15 for players not in the NHL.. he should be above most of our prospects outside of the first tier... we should always be able to find room for upgrades... should he be one.

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011

Matthews
Nylander
Marner

Brown
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnson
Lindberg
Leispic

Timashov
Bracco
Dzierkals

The group will be even more intriguing after the draft

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008

Matthews
Nylander
Marner

Brown
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnson
Lindberg
Leispic

Timashov
Bracco
Dzierkals

dont kid yourself. Some will meet expectations, most will not. There is always room for a guy like vessey (who may/may not meet expections) especially when he's a free wallet.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Matthews
Nylander
Marner

Brown
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnson
Lindberg
Leispic

Timashov
Bracco
Dzierkals

Plus he is a LW, right now not our strongest position at the Forward spot. Plus Vesey has size which we are surely lacking at RW if you believe both Marner and Nylander will be pushed over there.

Mad Brills*

Dude, 1/2 of the prospects from brown on down will be busts.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sorry...quick question: What would getting his rights do for us? Still gets an ELC for 3 years?

Also...any thoughts on what getting his rights might cost? I guessing Nash will happily take anything

It just means you can actually talk to him and sign him prior to the date where he becomes a UFA. It doesn't change his ELC years or anything because that's based on his age anyway.

His rights are likely be a mid round pick or so, perhaps a young player that they could use. We traded for Zach Hyman last season when he was in the exact same shoes as Vesey. We traded McKegg for him just to secure his rights and we were able to sign him. He could have easily gone to free agency to field offers.

People under estimate the value of being able to talk to someone before any one else.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Even if half of them don't bust, you start looking at trading some of these guys to bolster positions you're weak in. Deal players from positions of strength to add in areas you lack.

Part of stockpiling players like this is to make use of them as trade chips when the team is ready to start taking a major directional swing and begin competing. Eventually you reach a point where you're overflowing (hopefully) with young talent, and have the guys you want as key pieces. Rather than let the rest lanquish, you trade them to make your team better.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

Matthews
Nylander
Marner

Brown
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen
Johnson
Lindberg
Leispic

Timashov
Bracco
Dzierkals

If Vesey is actually NHL ready, the leafs will sign him immediately. By the looks of your list, mostly all of the second tier will be NHL players. The leafs simply do not have room for all of them, which leads me to believe that there are a lot of corresponding moves to come.

The leafs biggest needs now are A #1/2D and #1G. We will see a good chunk of these prospects moved this off-season to improve at other positions of weakness.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Even if half of them don't bust, you start looking at trading some of these guys to bolster positions you're weak in. Deal players from positions of strength to add in areas you lack.

Part of stockpiling players like this is to make use of them as trade chips when the team is ready to start taking a major directional swing and begin competing. Eventually you reach a point where you're overflowing (hopefully) with young talent, and have the guys you want as key pieces. Rather than let the rest lanquish, you trade them to make your team better.

Kyle Dubas did say "you can always trade smaller skilled guys for size if you need to address that".

So the better these prospects perform the more trade value the should have.

Leafs might even consider trading some of them for the rights to Vesey like they did Zach Hyman last year.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Brown - AHL
Soshnikov
Hyman
Kapanen - AHL
Johnson - AHL
Lindberg - AHL
Leispic - AHL

Send them back to the AHL. Overripe and all that stuff. I don't see a logjam anywhere.

1. Stamkos (really wishing here)
2. Matthews
3. Nylander
4. Marner
5. JVR
6. Komarov
7. Kadri
8. Bozak

That's 4 spots available. And personally I think Vesey is much better than a lot of the guys in that middle tier.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Send them back to the AHL. Overripe and all that stuff. I don't see a logjam anywhere.

2. Matthews
3. Nylander
4. Marner
5. JVR
6. Komarov
7. Kadri
8. Bozak

That's 4 spots available. And personally I think Vesey is much better than a lot of the guys in that middle tier.

I think Brown should be in your list, I don't seem him as an AHLer anymore...kid has shown he has another gear to his game when he was up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

2. Matthews
3. Nylander
4. Marner
5. JVR
6. Komarov
7. Kadri
8. Bozak

Vesey, Hyman, Soshnikov and Conner Brown could be those 4 spots but Leafs would have to find new homes for Lupul, Michalek, Greening, Laich, Holland etc.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Vesey, Hyman, Soshnikov and Conner Brown could be those 4 spots but Leafs would have to find new homes for Lupul, Michalek, Greening, Laich, Holland etc.

Waive them. Or Robidas them. I don't think there's a single person in Toronto that would miss any of those guys. They wouldn't even have to uproot their living situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad