Signing(s): Jimmy Garoppolo signs with the Raiders (3 years, $67.5 million)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Jimmy got hurt back in November and still can't pass a physical. Their 4th round QB might be their primary starter this season.

Williams and Maye headline the QB class this year. Plenty of time for someone else to rise up as well. But, this is bad for LV.
There's a strange bright side in the sense that they didn't do enough work fixing the defense, and they didn't prioritize QB either so a tank job would be pretty easy to pull off. Those definitely weren't their intentions though, so as always, incompetence continues to live on. Nobody can mess up with Caleb Williams though.

Also, I don't want Jimmy G to play a game for this team ever, but I don't see how he wouldn't recover from foot surgery by week 1.

Reactions: Gecklund

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's a strange bright side in the sense that they didn't do enough work fixing the defense, and they didn't prioritize QB either so a tank job would be pretty easy to pull off. Those definitely weren't their intentions though, so as always, incompetence continues to live on. Nobody can mess up with Caleb Williams though.

Also, I don't want Jimmy G to play a game for this team ever, but I don't see how he wouldn't recover from foot surgery by week 1.
Problem is he would be behind working with the offence if he’s not throwing and moving at camp.

Still a head shaker that this roster isn’t much better than when they dealt MacK which was to signify a rebuild which they clearly messed up.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
People judge QB by different standard then in days past , if your not Brady or Manning you suck , or today Mahomes , who's numbers for pic % aren't that far off from Favre in his back to back to back MVP seasons. I think Jimmy G is slightly better than Carr but division is gone for the next decade anyway so it's a wildcard race for teams not names the chiefs/Bills/Cinncy.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
People judge QB by different standard then in days past , if your not Brady or Manning you suck , or today Mahomes , who's numbers for pic % aren't that far off from Favre in his back to back to back MVP seasons. I think Jimmy G is slightly better than Carr but division is gone for the next decade anyway so it's a wildcard race for teams not names the chiefs/Bills/Cinncy.
As someone who watched a shit ton of both the Raiders and Niners, Jimmy is at best equivalent to Carr. The thing with Jimmy is he’s safe. Generally he’s not going to throw these 50 yard passes like Carr might. He’s not going to take the risk. Carr definitely had more talent but also less of a brain. Jimmy was propped up by an excellent offense. He definitely could have that with LV too though honestly. Adams, Jacobs, Renfrow, Meyers, others that I’m forgetting because it’s before 8AM, it could work out really well where Jimmy’s job is just to get it to these guys and let them do the work.

Jimmy will never take over a game but on the flip side I don’t think he’d ever try. Carr probably had/has the talent to take over the game. He just would make stupid decisions.

Sep 19, 2008
Niners fans were so intent on advocating for him too lol

Now you have purdy. and purdy is arguably better than jimmy ever coulda been.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well Jimmy G FA stock was already low IMO

This should firmly plant him as a backup signing and team who signs him would need a 3rd QB option in camp to keep around for first weeks of season

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Disaster signing for Raiders.

Jimmy's base salary for 2024 is guaranteed for $11.25 mill. But the Roster Bonus was not until March 17.

Saw a clip on the Rich Eisen show with someone from PFF that says Jimmy's contract has a PED clause, which likely does void this guarantees. Will have to wait and see on that, as his 2024 base salary was guaranteed at signing. That would be a large cap savings for LV if that is true.

Updated reports indicate that Jimmy will not challenge the suspension. Been reported that it was prescribed to him so curious that he didn’t let the raiders staff know about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Niners fans were so intent on advocating for him too lol

Now you have purdy. and purdy is arguably better than jimmy ever coulda been.
I remember him blowing out his knee on a run where he didn't slide for his protection. Was never the same after that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I remember him blowing out his knee on a run where he didn't slide for his protection. Was never the same after that.
I recall only one knee injury for Jimmy. He took a weird extra step before going out of bounds vs Detroit which was like game 3 that season. That’s how they ended up with Bosa in the draft. Season ended up being a write off despite going on like a 5 game win streak to close the prior season after trading for Jimmy.

He’s had an ankle and foot injuries since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad