Jim Vandermeer

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I thought he played well in a really awkward role. He was inexplicably scratched most of the time in favor of Colin White, the coaches lined him up as a 4th line right winger (?!), and he barely got any ice time.

When he did get some real defensive time, he played rugged, simple and sensible. Some advanced stats guy would probably show he wasn't good, but I'd argue he was never allowed to get into any sort of groove. And the 4th line winger thing was ridiculous.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
I thought he played well in a really awkward role. He was inexplicably scratched most of the time in favor of Colin White, the coaches lined him up as a 4th line right winger (?!), and he barely got any ice time.

When he did get some real defensive time, he played rugged, simple and sensible. Some advanced stats guy would probably show he wasn't good, but I'd argue he was never allowed to get into any sort of groove. And the 4th line winger thing was ridiculous.

Definitely underused, therefore automatically undervalued. He played well for the role he was brought in for, unfortunately Colin White was given the benefit of the doubt one too many times.

I think he may have played as a winger in a few games during his time with Chicago...or maybe I'm thinking of someone else...?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Played better than Colin White in the limited chances he was given.

Did not complain (publicly anyway) about the way he was also used as a makeshift 4th liner. Appeared to play physical enough.

hateseed

TentacleGrapeSoda
Aug 3, 2011
Coastal California
He probably got a tenth of White's ice-time (as a defenseman) and that ratio should have been reversed.

I think he's worth the million dollars it would take to sign him, no question.

MechaMarleau

Vertebraeker
Apr 13, 2007
Menlo Park
Judging by the HockeyFights sages, Vandermeer fought five times last season to mixed success. I thought he was good at standing up for teammates and didn't tolerate nonsense against Niemi and others received cheap shots.

Our main Sharks blog, FearTheFin, did a year-end evaluation of him. Same story:

* Didn't get used often enough, and was forced to play in a position he hadn't played often in the pros.
* Some pretty good defensive defenseman chops
* Works well if you give him modest play in the style he's best at.

Could be a pretty good 6/7. Our defensive corps was weird (too many of them, so they played musical chairs a lot). If the Islanders have more room int he bottom pairing, he'll be just fine.

Tuckisles

Oct 21, 2005
Thanks for the info all. Good luck out West. I guess we won't see you this year unles we meet for the Cup! (Hey, a guy has got to dream......)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad