Management Jim Montgomery

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Maybe one could live with the panic line shuffling, poor preparation, etc. But when you get absolutely f***ED by the refs over an entire series culminating in that horseshit interference and you're too afraid of getting fined to give any real f***ing criticism in your postgame, that's it for me. I'd fire this gutless fool right now and let Sacco finish out the series if I were Sweeney.

Reactions: JCRO and SPLBRUIN

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I understand that he changed how this team breaks out of their zone this season due to not having Bergeron anymore and for not causing odd-man rushes, but the 2D > 1F system that involves dumping it around the boards isn't working either.

The Bruins have been their best when they play with pace and make quick, short, accurate passes. The dump-ins aren't helping either. Just skate through the defense.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I understand that he changed how this team breaks out of their zone this season due to not having Bergeron anymore and for not causing odd-man rushes, but the 2D > 1F system that involves dumping it around the boards isn't working either.

The Bruins have been their best when they play with pace and make quick, short, accurate passes. The dump-ins aren't helping either. Just skate through the defense.

They just aren't fast enough up front and opposing teams know this and exploit it.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I think the Bruins need to move on from Monty. He’s a mediocre coach whose decisions aren’t going to win you a game.

I can’t recall a single game where Monty outcoached an opposing coach.

Reactions: EvilDead

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I’m good with moving on after this series.

I’ve seen better coaches do so much more with way worse rosters. How this guy isn’t able to get his team up for games is disheartening. Sure the players earn some of that, but you can’t fire all the players. And yes, Florida is the better team. But I have yet to see his team put in a full 60. Look at game 4- they let off the gas with hitting and taking it to them cause they got complacent. Something that has happened a lot under Monty along with not being able to close out games.

And the constant line juggling which,
IMO, has a direct correlation with the too many men calls this offseason. I’ve had enough of it. Again, I can’t recall ever seeing a coach influence a team so negatively throughout a playoff run. Let alone twice.

Thank you Monty. You’re a really likable guy- But I don’t trust you.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The question for me is simple......is there something strategically the Bruins can do to counter or negate the Panther's forecheck at 5 on 5?

I'm not sure what they can do in their own end to stop Florida's brand of shoot-from-everywhere chaos.

So that leaves it to the Bruins to counter Florida by spending a lot more time in the Panthers zone.

Is the reason the Bruins are spending so little time in Florida's zone a strategic one, or a personnel issue?

I think it comes down to personnel and the Bruins just don't have what it takes to spend more time in Florida's zone and less time dealing with the Panther chaos in their own zone. The dump-and-chase isn't working. Carrying pucks over the blueline and trying to push Panther D-men isn't working either. What else can the coaching staff do?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I want to move on from Montgomery, but if he's gone then Sweeney and Neely need to get the boot too. Montgomery may not be a great coach, but Sweeney and Neely, with more of the focus on Neely, have screwed up the roster construction for almost a decade now. Plus...I am tired of these two being allowed to burn through coaches and not face consequences. Which is a shame really, because Sweeney, for all of his flaws, has been doing well.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
The question for me is simple......is there something strategically the Bruins can do to counter or negate the Panther's forecheck at 5 on 5?

I'm not sure what they can do in their own end to stop Florida's brand of shoot-from-everywhere chaos.

So that leaves it to the Bruins to counter Florida by spending a lot more time in the Panthers zone.

Is the reason the Bruins are spending so little time in Florida's zone a strategic one, or a personnel issue?

I think it comes down to personnel and the Bruins just don't have what it takes to spend more time in Florida's zone and less time dealing with the Panther chaos in their own zone. The dump-and-chase isn't working. Carrying pucks over the blueline and trying to push Panther D-men isn't working either. What else can the coaching staff do?
Well, he can start by giving McAvoy and Lohrei better defensive partners to play with, as both were trash defensively last night. And he could also replace Peeke with Shattenkirk, who can at least generate a little bit of offense from the back end. The Panthers will get their scoring changes no matter what, the Bruins need to increase their. And the likes of Derek Forbort and Andrew Peeke aren't cutting it.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

When have they attempted the chase part of that equation? It’s been four games of dump and watch

Reactions: BMC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Montgomery is a symptom, not the disease.

They may look less like a fool doing it, but a different coach wouldn't get better results from this piss poor roster. Not much else matters when you're forcing someone to run out Coyle and Zacha as the top 6 centers.

Reactions: Sevendust

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I want to move on from Montgomery, but if he's gone then Sweeney and Neely need to get the boot too. Montgomery may not be a great coach, but Sweeney and Neely, with more of the focus on Neely, have screwed up the roster construction for almost a decade now. Plus...I am tired of these two being allowed to burn through coaches and not face consequences. Which is a shame really, because Sweeney, for all of his flaws, has been doing well.
I’d let them all go. Full blown organizational restructuring. I’m not very confident it’s happening though.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When have they attempted the chase part of that equation? It’s been four games of dump and watch

The forward group just can't get there in time, they are far too slow as a group.

Panther's D have also been great at little bits of interference keeping forechecking forwards from getting to loose pucks early enough to matter.

Bruins forwards can also make better dump-ins. To many hard-ring arounds when it should be a soft dump cross-corner, and vice-versa.

JVR, Maroon, Brazeau, and Geekie are below-average speed-wise. Zacha, Heinen, and Frederic are average at best from a speed/skating perspective and lack those strong first few strides. That group last night might of literally been the slowest group of forwards dressed by any team in the NHL this season. I don't think it's hyperbole at all to say that.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Cant believe he didnt lay into the league, I was happy to give a "fresh face" a chance and was excited for the hire in the sense that it was his second gig and he wasn't part of the carousel we see but he doesnt have the BS factor a good HC needs. Doesnt seem to want to work the league through the media. The best coaches do it really well (remember how Julien would try to influence through the media?).

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
For all those that want to move on from Monty, who are you wanting to bring in that's an upgrade? Do you want a rookie coach getting their first shot at the NHL or do you want a more experienced coach i.e. someone whose either been an NHL head coach or assistant coach.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
For all those that want to move on from Monty, who are you wanting to bring in that's an upgrade? Do you want a rookie coach getting their first shot at the NHL or do you want a more experienced coach i.e. someone whose either been an NHL head coach or assistant coach.
If the Bruins move on from Monty, I think it's time to bring in an X's and O's type of coach that will also hold his players accountable. The Bruins have had a player's coach since 2016, so I think it's time to change it up.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

Doesn’t matter to me. With the way he coaches this team it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone better whether you go with an existing coach/assistant or a junior/college coach that’s had success. The only thing I would want is they give the new coach the freedom to bring in their own assistants. It doesn’t seem like Monty or Cassidy got that opportunity.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If the Bruins move on from Monty, I think it's time to bring in an X's and O's type of coach that will also hold his players accountable. The Bruins have had a player's coach since 2016, so I think it's time to change it up.

I don't know that I'd call Cassidy a players coach when he was fired because he lost the locker room.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad