Boston Herald Jim Montgomery still bullish on the Bruins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

While this team understandably has its doubters as it embarks on a new era of Bruins hockey, Montgomery pointed out that so did last year’s team that set regular season records.

“After our regular season, I think a lot of people forgot all the question marks on our team before last year. I think it’s very similar to this year, that we’re a bubble team, and that’s what people were saying about us last year,” said Montgomery. “What I like is we have tremendous opportunity. I know we have great players, I know we have really good leaders. For me, the exciting part of it is ‘how good can we be?’ I don’t know what our ceiling is yet and that’s what makes this training camp a little more exciting than last year’s, because there’s a lot more moving parts … some people look at it as daunting. I don’t. I look at it as an opportunity for a lot of players to become real good Bruins for us and for us to find our identity as a team and how we’re going to win games this year.”

In our sitdown, Montgomery touched on a number of subjects:

Top lines​

Montgomery has his first two lines pretty much mapped out, at least tentatively. He expects to pair Pavel Zacha with David Pastrnak, with James van Riemsdyk most likely getting the first look at left wing on that line. He expects the other top line will be Charlie Coyle centering Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk.

That’s the easy part. Putting together the bottom six – which is often what gets a team over the hump in playoff series. They have a lot of new players, including Morgan Geekie, Patrick Brown, Jesper Boqvist, Milan Lucic 2.0 and now Alex Chiasson.

“Everything else is going to be a work in progress,” said Montgomery. “The great thing is there’s lots of opportunity for the players that are returning, the AJ Greers, the (Jakub) Laukos, obviously (Trent) Frederic. We think he’s going to be a big part of the third line. But who plays with who? I try not to get fixated on that, even though I might have ideas. I like to see it play out in camp and have the opportunity to see chemistry with each other.”

Feeling centered​

Montgomery has confidence his top two centermen, Zacha and Coyle, can do the job.

“I think (Zacha’s ceiling) is significantly higher,” he said. “Not only is he physically prepared, more importantly I believe he’s ready for this mentally for the kind of minutes, the responsibility of having to be played in all situations — which he did really well last year — but they’re going to be more important minutes. But I just think he’s mentally ready. He believes that he can do it. That’s the biggest step for a player. I have a lot of confidence that our top two lines will be very good because I believe Charlie Coyle knows he can do the job and will do the job and Pavel Zacha does too.”

While some fans might be waiting for another shoe to drop in the form for another established center coming here in a trade, Montgomery is not.

“In my mind, this is our team,” he said. “Ever since Krech made it official, we’d been thinking that this would be our team. Honestly, we were preparing this way since mid-June.”

Chiasson backer​

On Chiasson, whom the B’s signed to a tryout agreement on Monday, Montgomery believes the 32-year-old veteran has the tools to help.

“He’s a real smart hockey player who always finds a way to produce and always finds a way to get in the lineup,” said Montgomery. “I thought Detroit’s power play became extremely tough to check the last two times we played them when he was at the net front. So there’s a niche that he could possibly grab a hold of for our team. He’s got the size and hands. His puck possession game is really good. It’s something we feel we need to improve on even from last year, our puck possession game and how much time we spend in the offensive zone.”

Winging it​

While there’s been speculation that Frederic could move to center, Montgomery sees him on the wing, most likely the right side.

“I think that’s where he’s the most dynamic for us, offensively and defensively,” said Montgomery. “He’s an excellent defensive winger and he also scores most of his goals and gets open the most as a winger. We feel we’re going to need that from him again this year.”

Coaching change​

With the departure of assistant John Gruden, Montgomery said another assistant will soon be hired. But Gruden’s responsibilities will be divvied up between remaining assistants Joe Sacco and Chris Kelly. Sacco will handle the defense.

“He runs the PK already and does a lot of our D-zone coverage. That’s an easy one for him,” said Montgomery.

Kelly will take over the power play.

“I think he’s really excited about it,” he said.

With Montgomery preferring a three-man bench, the new hire will be a second eye-in-the-sky with goalie coach Bob Essensa. The new coach will also focus on in-season development work.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So this is Monty's currrent proposed lineup before seeing how things play out in camp:

JVR -- Zacha -- Pasta

Marchand -- Coyle -- DeBrusk

Lucic -- Geekie -- Frederic

Boqvist -- Brown -- Chiasson

With the 3rd and 4th lines moving parts

Reactions: lopey and HustleB

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As much as I love Charlie Coyle he’s simply not a long term answer at 2C.
Monty is setting him up to fail and Charlie is in for a lot of abuse. 🙁

Monty can only work with what he has. The only even remotely viable alternatives to Coyle at 2C are Geekie and perhaps Merkulov down the road, but realistically Charlie has to get first opportunity. He's on a top-6 contract, money- and term-wise, and in his public statements he's never shied away from at least being open to taking on extra responsibility.

I agree - I am not confident that Coyle has what it takes to be an effective 2C. But in Marchand and DeBrusk he will be given as good a pair of wingers as can reasonably be asked for to build a capable line, so we can only hope he succeeds. If not then yeah some folks are going to rag on him, but that would be misguided. As usual, the buck ultimately stops with the front office.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Monty can only work with what he has. The only even remotely viable alternatives to Coyle at 2C are Geekie and perhaps Merkulov down the road, but realistically Charlie has to get first opportunity. He's on a top-6 contract, money- and term-wise, and in his public statements he's never shied away from at least being open to taking on extra responsibility.

I agree - I am not confident that Coyle has what it takes to be an effective 2C. But in Marchand and DeBrusk he will be given as good a pair of wingers as can reasonably be asked for to build a capable line, so we can only hope he succeeds. If not then yeah some folks are going to rag on him, but that would be misguided. As usual, the buck ultimately stops with the front office.

@Aussie Bruin

A year ago most of us thought the B's were a playoff bubble team and certainly didn't think they would win the President's Trophy.

2023-2004 they should remain a Top 3 team in the Atlantic but drawing most likely Tampa in Round One assuming Toronto locks up A1

BUT we have to watch Buffalo, Detroit and Florida.

Ottawa is a wildcard and Montreal :dunno:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I just want to see the young guys take that next step and/or continue to impress. I want to Zacha, Debrusk and Frederic continue to build off of last year. Hopefully Geekie can prove he was being held back in Seattle.

Then if they can just have one prospect really emerge this year at any position, even if it’s 4th line center, that’d be great. Whether that’s lysell, lohrei, Beecher, Poitras or anyone else.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin

A year ago most of us thought the B's were a playoff bubble team and certainly didn't think they would win the President's Trophy.

2023-2004 they should remain a Top 3 team in the Atlantic but drawing most likely Tampa in Round One assuming Toronto locks up A1

BUT we have to watch Buffalo, Detroit and Florida.

Ottawa is a wildcard and Montreal :dunno:

Reality is at the end of the day we all have no idea. The two firmest predictions I care to make is that Toronto will top the Atlantic as you suggested, and that at least one of Buffalo, Detroit or Buffalo will finally take the next step and qualify for the playoffs. I can see the Bruins finishing anywhere from 2nd in the division to 6th. I will take a finish on the happy side of the bubble with a team (and coach) that have learned to scrap and fight and handle the rough and tumble of high-pressure hockey.

Last year's team wasn't tested enough before the playoffs, largely through no fault of their own. In fact I think some opponents were pretty much just rolling over for them towards the end and saving their energy for easier targets. This season the journey needs to be different, and hopefully and ideally a tougher battle in the regular season will hold them in good stead heading into the spring. We will see.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Reality is at the end of the day we all have no idea. The two firmest predictions I care to make is that Toronto will top the Atlantic as you suggested, and that at least one of Buffalo, Detroit or Buffalo will finally take the next step and qualify for the playoffs. I can see the Bruins finishing anywhere from 2nd in the division to 6th. I will take a finish on the happy side of the bubble with a team (and coach) that have learned to scrap and fight and handle the rough and tumble of high-pressure hockey.

Last year's team wasn't tested enough before the playoffs, largely through no fault of their own. In fact I think some opponents were pretty much just rolling over for them towards the end and saving their energy for easier targets. This season the journey needs to be different, and hopefully and ideally a tougher battle in the regular season will hold them in good stead heading into the spring. We will see.
I disagree I don’t think teams were rolling over against the Bruins towards the end of the season,I felt the Bruins were actually getting mostly outplayed and if not for both goalies spectacular play,it would have been a loosing streak going into the playoffs.Which might have been a wake up,call,for them,instead some sloppy play by the team had been masked by the goaltending.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m curious to see how Montgomery approaches this season.

One reason I wasn’t as upset about last year’s playoff exit as maybe I should have been was that for the first time in my life as a Bruins fan, it didn’t feel like they lost because they lacked offense. I’m hoping that even with the loss of two centers, “the system” will still produce goals.

The Bruins also have a tremendous goaltending tandem. That alone will win games, and they actually have a pretty great “core” now. Just need a couple of pieces. I’m getting more optimistic about the Bruins as we get closer to the season.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Right.

Can't blame Monty for this one.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I disagree I don’t think teams were rolling over against the Bruins towards the end of the season,I felt the Bruins were actually getting mostly outplayed and if not for both goalies spectacular play,it would have been a loosing streak going into the playoffs.Which might have been a wake up,call,for them,instead some sloppy play by the team had been masked by the goaltending.

Bruins went 15-1 to end the season.

Hard to believe they were getting mostly outplayed.

Scored 57 goals in those games so it was hardly all goaltending.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Good to know the coach is happy with all the lemons he's being given this past offseason. I sure hope he can turn it into lemonade though. The Bruins have a monumental hill to climb up at this point. If they can get meaningful production out of their new acquisitions as well as have some of the prospect pool FINALLY coming good and fill in the big skates of their predecessors, there might be a light at the end of the tunnel despite tossing out draft capital to other teams for almost a decade plus and making poor roster decisions since Chiarelli's firing. I would like to think that Monty can right the ship. It would be in the best interest of the team if he could do that.

Reactions: Babajingo

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Bruins went 15-1 to end the season.

Hard to believe they were getting mostly outplayed.

Scored 57 goals in those games so it was hardly all goaltending.
You confirmed what I said there goalkeepers stood on there heads most games ,especially early on in the games ,defensively they we’re playing like shit .I remember watching many of these games and thinking if they don’t clean things up in there own end ,it’s going to bite them in the rear end ,remember countless odd man rushes,breakaways.They didn’t clean it up and it did come back to bite them.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad