Jim Leyland elected to Hall of Fame

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Just want to say it's an absolute travesty that Cito Gaston didn't get in. Won more world series than Leyland, has a better win% and is The first African American manager to win the world series.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Just want to say it's an absolute travesty that Cito Gaston didn't get in. Won more world series than Leyland, has a better win% and is The first African American manager to win the world series.
I suspect the key difference is that Leyland managed almost 3500 games and Gaston managed 1731.

The only HOF managers near Gaston were Billy Southworth and Frank Selee, and both had career winning percentages near .600 and won 4 and 5 pennants, respectively. Harry Wright too, but that was a very, very different era.

I'm not sure Gaston has a better case than Danny Murtaugh, Al Dark, or Charlie Manual.

I'm not sure I'd support Jim Leyland, either. I don't know that he has a better case than Piniella, or Ralph Houk, Charlie Grimm, Mike Scioscia, or Dave Johnson.

Reactions: Voight
Sep 19, 2008
Jim Leyland a very good man. Had the chance to see him briefly during the 2019 World series.

This is a photo of him at Nats park talking with fans.

IMG_20191027_173714.jpg

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not sure i get this one. his career managerial record is right around .500 and his teams were usually chokers

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t have an aversion to Leyland himself. However, steroid users are persona non grata, but they legitimized the managers they played for?

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
piniella shouldn't be in either. he won one WS early in his managerial career and never even won another pennant after that

unless they're planning to just let in any manager with one WS win?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Honestly, it's not. Yes, two World Series wins is impressive as is winning them back to back but he didn't make the playoffs again after 93, didn't manage anywhere else so there isn't a lot for them to go off of. Winning two championships as a manager is rare but that alone doesn't make him HOF worthy.

Look at Dusty Baker. Only has one championship but had success everywhere he managed and consistently made the playoffs.

not sure i get this one. his career managerial record is right around .500 and his teams were usually chokers

Yea makes no sense to me either other than the fact they wanted to reward a guy for sticking around the game forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad