Confirmed with Link: JG Pageau Signed 2 year 1 way deal

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
MI0000485032.jpg

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Heard Murray today in his interview mention that management isn't interested in giving Zib and co. huge longterm contracts. Says they are useful players but need to prove themselves to get that deal. They didn't "kick down the door" as he put it.

I caught that too. Seems he would rather risk paying more later than end up with more Cowen/Wier/Greening type contracts that were paid for potential but didn't really work out.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
pageau is one of the better shot surpressors in the league AND he has skill. love the guy and i think hes too skilled to not start putting up better numbers

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Happy with the money and term. Would like to see Stone and Zibby to similarly short term bridge contracts. Neither has the top end exploding potential EK had to gamble long term benifits of a long term contract.

Bridge contract, then Turris-type contract.

Stone obviously has superstar potential. Even next season. He totally could/should be signed to a Karlsson deal. Zibby and Hoffman can sign shorter deals. IMO.

This Pageau deal is amazing!!! Love it!

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I hope Pageau becomes a lesser version of Doug Gilmour. He had the attitude and intensity. He is skilled... Can he be more of a threat offensively? I sure hope so.

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
Stone obviously has superstar potential. Even next season. He totally could/should be signed to a Karlsson deal. Zibby and Hoffman can sign shorter deals. IMO.

This Pageau deal is amazing!!! Love it!

Good thing you dont hand out contracts...Giving any dude that has a amazing half year a 7+ mil contract.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hoffman cant get a bridge deal can he?

Hoffman can get a 1 year deal and still be an RFA. If hoffman goes to player arbitration the sens get to decide a 1 or 2 year contract. If the sens take him to arbitration hoff gets to decide to one or 2 year term. 2 years or more and hes a ufa

BigBush*

Good thing you dont hand out contracts...Giving any dude that has a amazing half year a 7+ mil contract.

Its a risk, but if you are signing him at a bargain, say 7 years at 4.5 million, that could be an incredible contract in a few years.

Stone is the only player id be ok with signing a ling term deal with. A bridge deal is ok to, as long as where prepared to pay the guy big bucks in a few years if he continues on the path hes on

BigBush*

Hoffman can get a 1 year deal and still be an RFA. If hoffman goes to player arbitration the sens get to decide a 1 or 2 year contract. If the sens take him to arbitration hoff gets to decide to one or 2 year term. 2 years or more and hes a ufa

Ok, phew. If Hoffman goes to arbitration, a 1 year deal would be alright

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I would give him 5-5.5 for 6-8 years.

You give the term not $7 million at this point. Or you face paying him 7-9 Million in 2 or 3 years.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Stone doesnt have top end potential? Hes the only one of our RFAs id be ok giving max term to

I would give him 5-5.5 for 6-8 years.

You give the term not $7 million at this point. Or you face paying him 7-9 Million in 2 or 3 years.

Terrible ideas. 7-9 million? Stone has potential but he's probably not going to be in the same tier as ppg+ players like Nash, Kessel, Ovie, Crosby, Toews, and Kane...etc. who are paid in that range of 8-10mil.

At most, in 2-3 years, Stone's career ceiling is closer to Bergeron at 6mil long term if he tops out as the 2 way 60pt player we're hoping he is.

In the meantime, I'd rather not pay him 3+ years of 4million when that's what a franchise player like Johansen commands. Not to mention he's only coming off his first full season in the bigs. Cowen came off a great year and was a highly touted player we gave 3mil/4 years and that's handcuffing us right now, and he'd spent 2 full years in the NHL, and 1 injured. I'd like to see 2 years at 2.5 mil or 3 years at 2.0 mil. If we gamble long term (3+ years) I'd like to see something in the mold of Turris' 5 years 3.5mil but even that's kind of risky in the same regards as the Cowen one was (we though he'd be a top4 D by now).

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Heard Murray today in his interview mention that management isn't interested in giving Zib and co. huge longterm contracts. Says they are useful players but need to prove themselves to get that deal. They didn't "kick down the door" as he put it.

Good. We've seen what happens when guys get too much money too fast. Give them a bridge contract and keep them hungry.

Sweet deal for Pageau. I thought for sure it would average around 1.5 mil.

BigBush*

Terrible ideas. 7-9 million? Stone has potential but he's probably not going to be in the same tier as ppg+ players like Nash, Kessel, Ovie, Crosby, Toews, and Kane...etc. who are paid in that range of 8-10mil.

At most, in 2-3 years, Stone's career ceiling is closer to Bergeron at 6mil long term if he tops out as the 2 way 60pt player we're hoping he is.

In the meantime, I'd rather not pay him 3+ years of 4million when that's what a franchise player like Johansen commands. Not to mention he's only coming off his first full season in the bigs. Cowen came off a great year and was a highly touted player we gave 3mil/4 years and that's handcuffing us right now, and he'd spent 2 full years in the NHL, and 1 injured. I'd like to see 2 years at 2.5 mil or 3 years at 2.0 mil. If we gamble long term (3+ years) I'd like to see something in the mold of Turris' 5 years 3.5mil but even that's kind of risky in the same regards as the Cowen one was (we though he'd be a top4 D by now).

Ya, I don't think Stone is going to be in the same payroll tier as Kessel, Toews, Crosby, ect.

But if you sign him to a 2 year bridge deal and he picks up where he left off (70 point player, excellent defensively, arguably our best forward), then yes, he absolutely will be looking for somewhere around a 7 million cap hit on his next contract. Remember, the cap is going up. It's tough to compare a contract in 2 years to one that was signed 2 years ago...

PLEASE don't say its a terrible idea to sign Stone to a 7 year deal. It really could go either way. Im sure management is weighing the pros and cons right now. If you can sign him long term (lets say 7 x 4.75mill), that could be an absolute steal in 3 years. If he's a "one hit wonder," then ya, its an awful contract. I think most fans believe in Stone and think he's the real deal, and will live up to a 4.75 mill cap hit from the ages 22-29.

Some of the arguments you use were awful. You used Johansen's cap hit of 4 mill for 3 years as a comparable. Those negotiations got pretty messy. What do you think they are going to pay Johansen in 2 years when is contract is done? I'd say north of 7 mill, so no discount there.

I get the hesitation in signing long term deals after Cowen's deal. Lets be honest though, Cowen showed potential, but he was never the best player on the ice (aside from Karlsson) night after night for a full half season.

Again, it can go either way, bridge deal or long term deal for Stone. He is the only RFA you can consider giving max term to IMO

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think 3 years at 4 mil for Stone would be perfect. It's a very nice pay raise for him, but still short enough, that if he fails, it's not going to kill us long term. If he really breaks out, then by all means he can get that 7 mil big deal afterwards.

If bridge deals cost us a bit more in the long-term, then that's a good thing....as those long term deals later on will be for players that deserve the pay. At least the money is tied up in kids that are part of the core and help the team, instead of being put into the Greenings, Phillips, Cowens, etc of the team.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Ya, I don't think Stone is going to be in the same payroll tier as Kessel, Toews, Crosby, ect.

But if you sign him to a 2 year bridge deal and he picks up where he left off (70 point player, excellent defensively, arguably our best forward), then yes, he absolutely will be looking for somewhere around a 7 million cap hit on his next contract. Remember, the cap is going up. It's tough to compare a contract in 2 years to one that was signed 2 years ago...

PLEASE don't say its a terrible idea to sign Stone to a 7 year deal. It really could go either way. Im sure management is weighing the pros and cons right now. If you can sign him long term (lets say 7 x 4.75mill), that could be an absolute steal in 3 years. If he's a "one hit wonder," then ya, its an awful contract. I think most fans believe in Stone and think he's the real deal, and will live up to a 4.75 mill cap hit from the ages 22-29.

Some of the arguments you use were awful. You used Johansen's cap hit of 4 mill for 3 years as a comparable. Those negotiations got pretty messy. What do you think they are going to pay Johansen in 2 years when is contract is done? I'd say north of 7 mill, so no discount there.

I get the hesitation in signing long term deals after Cowen's deal. Lets be honest though, Cowen showed potential, but he was never the best player on the ice (aside from Karlsson) night after night for a full half season.

Again, it can go either way, bridge deal or long term deal for Stone. He is the only RFA you can consider giving max term to IMO

The plus side to signing Stone to a 2-3 year bridge is at the end he's still RFA which gives us some negotiating power. An actual good comparison is Tyler Johnson situation where he had a similar career first year (25G/25A vs Stone's 26G/38A) to Stone at a similar age (both 23yo), got 3.3mil for 3 years. Johnson progressed further and may be cashing in at the end of this contract but at least you get another 2 years to see if he can reproduce in the 60-70 range before you give him his 7mil/year, although he's still RFA. And even by then, you've had 3 years of a 60pt+ player at 3.3 million, so 7mil per after that is fair game.

So after saying this, my original numbers may be too low to hope for (2-2.5mil per over 2-3yrs). That said, I'd rather 3 years at 3.0mil a year if he's still RFA at the end, or I'd prefer 2 years at 3.5mil than 7-8 years at 5mil per.

I think 3 years at 4 mil for Stone would be perfect. It's a very nice pay raise for him, but still short enough, that if he fails, it's not going to kill us long term. If he really breaks out, then by all means he can get that 7 mil big deal afterwards.

This is where my original point draws from. Johansen signed last year, regardless of contract dispute, to this exact deal. I don't think Stone has the same pedigree as Johansen (30G/30A) to argue for that rich of a contract. To boot, Johansen's play didn't break out like one would fear (and the reason why some are pushing for long term at 5 mil) so unless he does in the next two years, that 4mil contract ends up being a perfect contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad