Post-Game Talk: Jets win in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
The Jets look like they have a real winner in Perfetti, and have done such a great job on their drafting. If Lambert works out, they will be hugely strong upfront. The thing they will have to do is rebuild that defence, with some size, and puck moving guys, that can skate.
McGroaty looks like he might bring snarl when he makes the big club. The future looks promising.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I love how sportsnet showed our schedule and told us to be patient as if we had already lost all these games...

The Jets look like they have a real winner in Perfetti, and have done such a great job on their drafting. If Lambert works out, they will be hugely strong upfront. The thing they will have to do is rebuild that defence, with some size, and puck moving guys, that can skate.

Lucious also off to a good start in the Moose. I'm not worried about our forwards moving forward. We need some of our dmen to pan out.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Okay Big Save Dave you're up

slice-execute.gif

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
McGroaty looks like he might bring snarl when he makes the big club. The future looks promising.
I agree. their forward prospects look very promising, but we need to rebuild that defense, and start drafting defenseman. If their defense was solid, they'd be a real contender.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
That was a fun game and I'm pumped with the win. This team is back to working hard and they are fun to watch again. Very happy with the teams play.

After being broken down we bounced back with a string defensive effort in the third. Biggest issue to me remains breakouts and special teams. Both need to be much better.

Helle did what he needed to do tonight. Not much of a chance on the ones that beat him. He locked things down when they needed to.

Top pairing was up and down tonight. Pionk with some big goals And JoMo with some good activation as well. They got stretched by the Aves top line on extended shifts but that happens to all teams.

Schmidt and Dillion, sound game by this pairing imo. Dillon locked things down in his end and brought that snarl. Schmidt jumped in pretty well and was solid on retrieval.

DeMelo and Snerg: Thought Snerg did what he needed to do, came in and played a sound and heavy defensive game. DeMelo was solid defensively but he has left his hands and puck management back home so far this year.

Top line: Appelton goes from a couple of dud games to a terrific game when elevated. Good secondary offense. I thought Conner and Mark battled hard but didn't cash on the few glorious chances they created. No complaints with Mark's effort both ways this year.

Second line came to play. Dubois was much hungrier and snarly tonight. It helped that line turn pucks over and maintain control which lead to chances. Good night for him. Blake with another solid night and a beauty feed on Cole's goal. Perfetti had a great night, disrupted well, found that soft ice, controlled a couple of shifts and layerd it out physically on a number of occasions. Terrific game and a sign of things to come from him.

Third line. They cycled well and took space away well from the Aves. They did their job well.

Fourth line: Gagner with another big goal, the guy Is such a great add and really provides vet stability to the fourth line. Gus really playing some good hockey. Great faceoffs and he's reading and reacting to the play well causing disruption. New huy worked hard but wasn't super noticeable.

Great win and everyone had a piece of it . Now go beat those gold helmeted turds tomorrow.

I agree with all of this; I'd only add one extra point to Appleton; his hit along the boards in OT absolutely was the "straw that stirred the drink" when the Jets went back 2-on-1.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Prediction Contest is up and running for tomorrow night's game against the Golden Showers. @SUX2BU will be making the GDT for the Vegas game, but the game on Saturday night against the Laffs is still open if you would like to post a GDT and join in the fun!

Reactions: weslox

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Weirdly I even like Connor - Scheif - Appleton better than CSE they've been running. Obviously they're better with Ehlers but it feels more balanced with Appleton and spreads talent. Still hoping we experiment with something else.

Only one puck so having someone that does the dirty work and let's the other two control the puck is a recipe many top teams employ. I find that with Fly there are too
Players who want the puck and like to hold it that things get overdone in the ozone.

None

Feb 22, 2012
How does a team defend at 3 on 3?

Not very well, especially when there's a huge mismatch in speed (ie. Lowry vs Mackinnon).

If a team wants to cycle 3 on 3 there's not much the defending team can do other than take away as many angles as possible and hopefully turn the puck over when the opponent goes for a shot. There's just too much room out there to put a defense-first line out in my opinion. I think it was a particularly strange decision given the Jets struggles without the puck while defending in this game.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Barron was solid tonight. Love his size. He’s looking like a decent play maker.

I'll criticize Chevy in a number of ways, but one thing is clear: every single time his hand has been forced to make a high stakes trade, he has turned his position from chicken shit into chicken carbonara. Not just Copp, but Kane, Laine, and Trouba as well. I pull my hair out at some management of lesser assets COMRIE FOR f***S SAKE WHY COMRIE but the higher the stakes, the cooler he gets. Give me that 100 times out of 100 versus a reactionary GM who "makes trades to shake things up" and gets rooked like a pigeon every time.

I guess they thought we were the Maple Leafs...:sarcasm:

We can't rightly be compared to the Maple Leafs until we play a 31st-or-worst team.. twice.. and lose.. twice..

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
First I didn't mind the impartial Sportsnet broadcast for once. Greg Millen is a very knowledgeable commentator.

Second I think he was right when he said that Scott Arniel will one day be the next coach of the Jets.

Scott Arniel made some good decisions tonight. I liked the change in defensive pairings. I think it works out to the Jets #1 d-man with the #2, and #3 and #4 paired together. Top pairing created chances, and only looked bad when tired. Dillon-Schmidt were good. Dillon's game was particularly a standout physical effort. Samberg made some play tonight, De Melo, the way he is playing, deserves the lesser role, perhaps one he is more suited for.

Appleton on the top line had some jump, and brought a net drive that Nikolaj Ehlers doesn't bring. Nice to see him and Connor on the same page from their Moose experience. I thought Scheifele played a decent 2 way game, made some smart and strong plays in the offensive zone, but the shift length and faceoffs are things that need improvement.

2nd line had some really good looks. I though Duby had a strong game, Perfetti got points he deserved, and Wheeler has been strong.

I like Lowry and Barron as a combination for the checking line. The decision to move Appleton down to Lowry's line late in the game was a good one, because you could see that plays were being stalled by Maenalanen being a lefty on a line of lefties.

Gagner paying dividends early in the year. Gustafsson's defensive awareness is going to help this team. Not sure who I like more as the 3rd wheel, the new Swede or the Finn. AJF is definitely noticeably fast.

Love the OT decision to start Lowry-Appleton. Arniel basicially says let your best players beat our defensive horses, and the horses won.

I guess Neal Pionk loses the horns, gets to be the hero of the day.

Only question I have is regarding special teams. Morrissey on PP1 is looking really tentative to start the year. Nate Schmidt gets an important touch on the PP goal. Nate Schmidt gets burned on the PK while Morrissey sits. Any chance we see Schmidt promoted to PP1, and Morrissey on PP2, taking regular PK shifts?

Colorado without Landeskog and Kadri aren't nearly as deep of a scoring team.

It's really a nice change to see this team engaged and believing in each other, fighting for each other, early in the year.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Not very well, especially when there's a huge mismatch in speed (ie. Lowry vs Mackinnon).

If a team wants to cycle 3 on 3 there's not much the defending team can do other than take away as many angles as possible and hopefully turn the puck over when the opponent goes for a shot. There's just too much room out there to put a defense-first line out in my opinion. I think it was a particularly strange decision given the Jets struggles without the puck while defending in this game.

You play the odds.

Every pass you make, even 3 on 3, has a percentage chance of backfiring. Yes, I know, the "correct" way to defend is to simply maintain possession and only break out when you like it, maintaining possession for all five minutes if needed. Hockey is about to learn just why the NBA has a shot clock, and my bold Future Man prediction is that they'll implement one sooner rather than later.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
That was a pretty low percentage shot by Pionk and if it would’ve missed Colorado would come back with at least a 2 on 1 if not three on one. However credit to Pionk for a fantastic shot.

I’m really liking AJF. He’s really fast and not scared to hit people. A bit like Barron, but faster. He might add something decent to the bottom six.
That was a FUN game to watch!

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
First I didn't mind the impartial Sportsnet broadcast for once. Greg Millen is a very knowledgeable commentator.

Second I think he was right when he said that Scott Arniel will one day be the next coach of the Jets.

Scott Arniel made some good decisions tonight. I liked the change in defensive pairings. I think it works out to the Jets #1 d-man with the #2, and #3 and #4 paired together. Top pairing created chances, and only looked bad when tired. Dillon-Schmidt were good. Dillon's game was particularly a standout physical effort. Samberg made some play tonight, De Melo, the way he is playing, deserves the lesser role, perhaps one he is more suited for.

Appleton on the top line had some jump, and brought a net drive that Nikolaj Ehlers doesn't bring. Nice to see him and Connor on the same page from their Moose experience. I thought Scheifele played a decent 2 way game, made some smart and strong plays in the offensive zone, but the shift length and faceoffs are things that need improvement.

2nd line had some really good looks. I though Duby had a strong game, Perfetti got points he deserved, and Wheeler has been strong.

I like Lowry and Barron as a combination for the checking line. The decision to move Appleton down to Lowry's line late in the game was a good one, because you could see that plays were being stalled by Maenalanen being a lefty on a line of lefties.

Gagner paying dividends early in the year. Gustafsson's defensive awareness is going to help this team. Not sure who I like more as the 3rd wheel, the new Swede or the Finn. AJF is definitely noticeably fast.

Love the OT decision to start Lowry-Appleton. Arniel basicially says let your best players beat our defensive horses, and the horses won.

I guess Neal Pionk loses the horns, gets to be the hero of the day.

Only question I have is regarding special teams. Morrissey on PP1 is looking really tentative to start the year. Nate Schmidt gets an important touch on the PP goal. Nate Schmidt gets burned on the PK while Morrissey sits. Any chance we see Schmidt promoted to PP1, and Morrissey on PP2, taking regular PK shifts?

Colorado without Landeskog and Kadri aren't nearly as deep of a scoring team.

It's really a nice change to see this team engaged and believing in each other, fighting for each other, early in the year.

Excellent comments and I agree with almost all of them.

But I wonder how many of these clever decisions were made by Arniel and how many came over the phone from Winnipeg?

Reactions: Potential
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad