Post-Game Talk: Jets vs. Flames • Fri Sep 12, 6PM • 2014 Young Stars Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Just watching it now, had a game last night so I didn't get a chance to watch it.

First period impressions:

Morrissey actually looked very good in the first period. A lot of people saying he was invisible but I think he was the best looking defenseman. Safe passes, steady, had some good chances on the PP.

Brouillard clearly has a lot of skill and it showed in the first, I have a feeling judging by the comments that I'm going to see his shortcomings in the 2nd and 3rd, but I was impressed.

Kichton has amazing vision in the offensive zone. That hiccough in his own zone on the PP was pretty bad though.

Ehlers looks great every time he's on the ice. You can really tell how much he loves give and go plays. I would put him with Petan or Lodge on the PP because I think they are probably the two players best suited to recognize when Ehlers is trying to set that up. Saw him try multiple times in the first and his linemates didn't catch on.

Brassard has impressed me every time I've ever seen him play. Don't know what it is but I hope he gets more of a shot on the Ice Caps this year. He works hard.

Lipon is weird on the PP. Goes to the corner and calls for passes that wouldn't make sense, like when Petan has it in the opposite corner.

Petan looks amazing. De Leo impressed me. Balisy's pass was extremely nice.

Off to watch the second!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you're worried about results in tournaments/games like this, you're missing the point. The purpose here is to evaluate individual players. On the whole, most of our good forward prospects looked like good forward prospects, and that is good news.

You talkin' to me? :) ha! Not the least bit worried about results but wins always feel better even in tabletop hockey.:)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What did people think of Brouillard? I was impressed. It was only 1 game but I thought if he keeps it up he might get offered a contract. Or am I making too much of it?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
What did people think of Brouillard? I was impressed. It was only 1 game but I thought if he keeps it up he might get offered a contract. Or am I making too much of it?

I liked him. Showed a lot of composure and confidence on the puck.

Got turned inside out against Gaudreau, but it's not like that's a rare thing to happen.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I liked him. Showed a lot of composure and confidence on the puck.

Got turned inside out against Gaudreau, but it's not like that's a rare thing to happen.

That was Nogier that got turned inside out, Brouillard was the one who gave it away though.

Pokeys

Dec 31, 2009
Peg

Like I said in my previous post in this thread, he was quite impressive out there. Made some nice outlet passes out of the zone, looked real comfortable handling the puck, smooth skater, and stable on the back end. We'll see how he looks in the other two games. Only thing is he's a smaller guy.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Like I said in my previous post in this thread, he was quite impressive out there. Made some nice outlet passes out of the zone, looked real comfortable handling the puck, smooth skater, and stable on the back end. We'll see how he looks in the other two games. Only thing is he's a smaller guy.
Not just smaller, even perhaps smallest.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
True but I think the Jets are well under the limit. Are they not?

4 under. Could be as high as 9 under if Blomqvist, Ehlers, Comrie, Petan, and Morrissey all fail to make the Jets.

But remember that this would be a 3 year deal. It effects things past this season.

And it's reaaaaally early in camp to start talking contracts.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
4 under. Could be as high as 9 under if Blomqvist, Ehlers, Comrie, Petan, and Morrissey all fail to make the Jets.

But remember that this would be a 3 year deal. It effects things past this season.

And it's reaaaaally early in camp to start talking contracts.

1) Yes. Those contracts slide and likely will slide. Ehlers and Morrissey are the only ones threatening to crack the roster.

2) We also drop contracts every year as we've been using up contract slots on players who are essentially AHL vets like I said before.

3) Early in camp, but this player has a good amount of a junior career to draw from. That's much more valuable than what they show us in 3 scrimmage games. I do think our coaches getting face to face time with them is important in the decision as well, but we aren't privy to any of that. So my best judgments come off of what he's done in junior.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
46 contracts. Room for 4 more. Might want to leave room for an ELC or two (Lodge Copp)
Lodge would not matter as his contract wouldn't affect us this year because he won't be making the team therefore his ELC will slide and not effect our total.

Copp maybe? But that would be an end of the season signing to bolster depth for another IceCaps playoff run and I'm not sure if that contract would effect our total either.

Either way we have plenty of room now and in the future.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
46 contracts. Room for 4 more. Might want to leave room for an ELC or two (Lodge Copp)

Lodge wouldn't count against limits unless he made the Jets. Copp would though if he signed since he'd be in AHL and above 19 years old.

Meh we'll see but I'd rather sign a guy like Freisbergs. Brouillard is meh.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Lodge wouldn't count against limits unless he made the Jets. Copp would though if he signed since he'd be in AHL and above 19 years old.

Can a team be over 50 in the offseason? Do players like Petan count as one of the 50 in the offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad