15. Michael Spacek - 36.1%
16. Simon Lundmark - 49.1%
17. Jansen Harkins - 26.7%
18. Skyler McKenzie 36.4%

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I keep voting for Smith because he's pretty interesting. Here's another snippet from the Athletic article (Thanks to a game built around stickhandling, the Jets have a...) about him a couple of months ago:

"Smith is Cedar Rapids’ offence. He leads the team in points per game, primary points per game and primary assists per game in all-situations and 5-on-5. Therefore, Smith’s situation isn’t exactly conducive to high-end production."

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Agreed, Smith is an interesting long shot, good spot here.

Would also consider Blaisdell cause shiny new toy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I keep voting for Smith because he's pretty interesting. Here's another snippet from the Athletic article (Thanks to a game built around stickhandling, the Jets have a...) about him a couple of months ago:

"Smith is Cedar Rapids’ offence. He leads the team in points per game, primary points per game and primary assists per game in all-situations and 5-on-5. Therefore, Smith’s situation isn’t exactly conducive to high-end production."

That may all be true about Smith but he is an overager. You can blame his failure to produce more in D+2 than in D+1 on a weak supporting cast but you have to keep his age in mind. At his age, he should be the best player on his Jr team.

He is about to start his NCAA career as a 21 YO instead of the more usual 19 (or even 18) YO.

I'm interested to see what he can do in NCAA but if it is not really good I will lose interest in him pretty fast.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Are we sleeping on Santeri Virtanen?

We are picking among long shots here so he gets my vote.

Reactions: RabidOne

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That may all be true about Smith but he is an overager. You can blame his failure to produce more in D+2 than in D+1 on a weak supporting cast but you have to keep his age in mind. At his age, he should be the best player on his Jr team.

He is about to start his NCAA career as a 21 YO instead of the more usual 19 (or even 18) YO.

I'm interested to see what he can do in NCAA but if it is not really good I will lose interest in him pretty fast.
It's going to be a lot of chaff and not much wheat at this stage of the prospect raking game. Roll the dice...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's going to be a lot of chaff and not much wheat at this stage of the prospect raking game. Roll the dice...

At this point (or even the last couple of spots), I'm not going to argue very hard for or against almost any choice. Though, TBH, I was surprised at the love for McKenzie last time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Smith, and I think we might have him a bit low here. He really impressed me at development camp and the Jets' US amateur scouts are usually pretty sharp.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

More from the same article...

"
If you’re anything like me, you’re probably thinking two things right now, “how does this guy have such relatively average numbers in the USHL” and “how do you stop this guy one-on-one?” The answers lie in those same skills that make him so tantalizing because often, he’s stopping himself.
Making the right decision at the right time is probably the most notable example of this. As deft as his handles are, there are times where he fails to achieve much with his manoeuvring."

He's got a shot, but I have my doubts. He reads like slow man's Ryan Strome, Sonny Milano or Alex Burmistrov. Player with tantalizing stick handling, with a pile of moves that just won't work in the NHL.

I'm cool with him here though.

At this point, any of Luoto, Virtanen, Wong, Blaisdell or Smith makes sense.

I lean towards the Finns, because I still see upside in Virtanen, and I think Luoto has a decent probability of playing in a checking role.

The college kids have upside, but I want to see what they can do at that level before I hedge my bets. Wong has the best stats lines of the three and he'll have to clean up his game in college. I'm intrigued.

Nogier makes sense too because he may get games again this year.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I should add...

I expect at least one of Virtanen, Wong, Blaisdell and Smith to sky rocket up these rankings next year - I just have no idea who it will be.

Luoto or Lundmark could too.

Moi aussi, but my gut and my bunion tell me it will be Blaisdell. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Smith, and I think we might have him a bit low here. He really impressed me at development camp and the Jets' US amateur scouts are usually pretty sharp.

One of these bottom 6-7 guys should probably exceed expectations to the point of becoming a useful player. Could be any one but Smith is a good guess for that. Hope you are right about him Whileee. Same goes for McKenzie, Virtanen, Wong and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think much separates #6-16. Take the defensemen for example, i wouldn't be surprised if we ranked them in the exact opposite order next year. Any of them could emerge from the pack. I'd probably rank them:

Kovacevic
Chisholm
Vallati
Stanley
Gawanke
Green
Lundmark

But tomorrow i might list them differently.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd have Virtanen and Smith ahead of Harkins and McKenzie. And Blaisdell for that matter.

Having Virtanen, Smith and Blaisdell at 18-20 is reassuring about our depth. We should be able to support THE CORE nicely over the next 6 years.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad