Prospect Info: Jets Top Prospects Poll: #9 Prospect

Who is the Jets #9 Prospect?

• Total voters

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I voted for our 2020-21 2nd pairing RHD again.

Operation dark horse.

Reactions: Whileee

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Even with Green's injury issues I have him ahead of Kovacevic for every season.. I think Kov's probably a lot more likely to hit on his potential but I still like Green more here.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I voted for Mc Kenzie, again, and I will take satisfaction if he has a breakthrough camp. Kovacevic will be another to watch in his first camp. Looks like this is his spot to win. Maybe the fans, like the organization, are hoping that some fresh faces will displace some who have moved on, with 5 out of top 9 being d-men. Lundmark might be the next best one on the list. But centres, we need them, unless we pull the trigger on trade. Add Nathan Smith.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Kovacevic is the easy choice at this spot, then it starts to get muddy again.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kovacevik for me. I like his all around game. I think he has a chance to be a good second pairing dmen.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Chisholm and Vallati are among the most productive D prospects we've seen in the Jets 2.0 era. Pacing behind Trouba, Morrissey, Heinola and Niku. In around Samberg.

Decent two-way defenders. Declan can move and he led his team in scoring for most of the year (until the Merkley trade). Vallati likes to smash stuff.

Surprised to see them get so little love.

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Chisholm and Vallati are among the most productive D prospects we've seen in the Jets 2.0 era. Pacing behind Trouba, Morrissey, Heinola and Niku. In around Samberg.

Decent two-way defenders. Declan can move and he led his team in scoring for most of the year (until the Merkley trade). Vallati likes to smash stuff.

I see them and Gawanke in the same tier, the three of them are intriguing, and between them and Kovacevic, if one can become an NHL regular that would be a huge bonus for the Jets.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

I'd put them soundly above Samberg.. If we're talking 18 year old seasons I've got them sitting pretty close to Niku, below Trouba and Morrissey, and above another group with the rest pretty close.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I see them and Gawanke in the same tier, the three of them are intriguing, and between them and Kovacevic, if one can become an NHL regular that would be a huge bonus for the Jets.
I have them ranked:
  1. Chisholm
  2. Gawanke
  3. Vallati
...but not separated by much. I think it is Chisholm skating that builds confidence for me. They are longer shots, but I'm hopeful that one of them could be a 4/5 defender at some point down the road.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I really like Chisholm as a prospect I just happen to have an irrational optimistic view of Kovy 2. I think we have a really decent D prospect pool now which is why I am not panicking this season.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I really like Chisholm as a prospect I just happen to have an irrational optimistic view of Kovy 2. I think we have a really decent D prospect pool now which is why I am not panicking this season.
I like them both too.

I was hoping we'd see more obvious growth out of Kovacevic this year, but I'm still high on him.

I pegged Chisholm for a break out too. I was happy to see him deliver.

I have Kovy here, then Chis.

I see a bit of a drop off after that.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like them both too.

I was hoping we'd see more obvious growth out of Kovacevic this year, but I'm still high on him.

I pegged Chisholm for a break out too. I was happy to see him deliver.

I have Kovy here, then Chis.

I see a bit of a drop off after that.

Yea we kind of have depth in that group of guys that could realistically materialize. We only need one of that group to become a solid top 4 asset and we will be in a decent spot.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I have them ranked:
  1. Chisholm
  2. Gawanke
  3. Vallati
...but not separated by much. I think it is Chisholm skating that builds confidence for me. They are longer shots, but I'm hopeful that one of them could be a 4/5 defender at some point down the road.

I know BPA but we have 5 defensemen in our top 9, and really it is looking like 10 in our top 15. Realistically how does this project? We haven't had an impact defenseman drafted, who played any meaningful games since Morrissey, Niku got his feet wet, and was only slightly better than Morrow in his impact. Are we really building a solid foundation out of all these defensemen, some who will inevitably never play here? I am interested to know why Gawanke ranks high, and who do you see as NHL defensemen in 3 years.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I know BPA but we have 5 defensemen in our top 9, and really it is looking like 10 in our top 15. Realistically how does this project? We haven't had an impact defenseman drafted, who played any meaningful games since Morrissey, Niku got his feet wet, and was only slightly better than Morrow in his impact. Are we really building a solid foundation out of all these defensemen, some who will inevitably never play here? I am interested to know why Gawanke ranks high, and who do you see as NHL defensemen in 3 years.
Gawanke brings a ton of offense and has a huge shot from the point. He had a much better year defensively and his knock is his skating but I don’t think it’s as bad as people think. I can’t wait to see him play pro as I want to see him against better competition but I have him almost in same tier as Kovacevic and I may like Gawankes pontential more. Be interesting to have this conversation after this season.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Gawanke brings a ton of offense and has a huge shot from the point. He had a much better year defensively and his knock is his skating but I don’t think it’s as bad as people think. I can’t wait to see him play pro as I want to see him against better competition but I have him almost in same tier as Kovacevic and I may like Gawankes pontential more. Be interesting to have this conversation after this season.
Gawanke looks like a slow mo Morrissey to me. Same reads, just not near as gifted as a skater.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I know very little about Chisholm, but his numbers check out and then some. Scouting report on him seems to be no real standout traits at the junior level, but no glaring weaknesses either.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I am just trying to figure this out. Let's assume everyone progresses. 2 years time Jets roster is something like

Morrisey-? (Buff)
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Niku
Poolman/Kovacevic?

Moose have

Heinola-Lundmark
Chisholm-Vallati
Vet-Green/Gawanke

Now how many of these guys are for real? And are we drafting Heinola to replace Morrisey?

Who gets knocked out of lineup by the prospects? What is their redeemable value? Other than Morrissey, can any of them be moved for a top 6 centre? Right now I think only Samberg carries that value?

Meanwhile I look at a kid like Mc Kenzie, who was good enough to ride shotgun with Cody Glass, as someone who could very well replace an Ehlers (junior numbers were on par, given the nature of the two leagues (can anyone name a recent defenseman out of the Q, who is defensively gifted, other than Zadorov, maybe Chabot?)) or Roslovic, giving us a means to obtaining a top 6 centre.

Maybe my logic is flawed, maybe not?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am just trying to figure this out. Let's assume everyone progresses. 2 years time Jets roster is something like

Morrisey-? (Buff)
Samberg-Pionk
Stanley-Niku
Poolman/Kovacevic?

Moose have

Heinola-Lundmark
Chisholm-Vallati
Vet-Green/Gawanke

Now how many of these guys are for real? And are we drafting Heinola to replace Morrisey?

Who gets knocked out of lineup by the prospects? What is their redeemable value? Other than Morrissey, can any of them be moved for a top 6 centre? Right now I think only Samberg carries that value?

Meanwhile I look at a kid like Mc Kenzie, who was good enough to ride shotgun with Cody Glass, as someone who could very well replace an Ehlers (junior numbers were on par, given the nature of the two leagues (can anyone name a recent defenseman out of the Q, who is defensively gifted, other than Zadorov, maybe Chabot?)) or Roslovic, giving us a means to obtaining a top 6 centre.

Maybe my logic is flawed, maybe not?

His numbers are nowhere near comparable to Ehlers, or Roslovic at the same stages in their careers. His numbers are comparable to Spacek.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
His numbers are nowhere near comparable to Ehlers, or Roslovic at the same stages in their careers. His numbers are comparable to Spacek.

Goal scoring? This kid goes to the net with a drive. Look at where Stastny and Tanev, for that matter, scored from in the playoffs. Greasy goals. He is not developmentally as far as either Ehlers or Roslovic, for sure. Ehlers got pulled from the Q at 19, Roslovic because of his American passport got to play with the Moose at 19. Mc Kenzie with a January birthday, and CHL status, had to wait the extra year, to get there, not that he was high on the prospect list to begin with. When Suess went down, we lost our centre depth on the Moose, with Girard moving up to #3, and Mc Kenzie buried behind vets like Shaw, Griffith, Lipon and Dano for playing time. Not to mention further along prospects like Appleton, Spacek and Harkins.

I just think this kid is the engine that could, I see him as an NHL player, and given my previous argument I'd like to know how we get all those defensemen to the NHL, if they are as good as we rate them? I've been wrong many a time, and I am not even married, maybe I am wrong again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad