Prospect Info: Jets Top Prospects Poll: #10 Prospect

Who is the Jets #10 Prospect?

• Total voters

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it's only because no one has seen him play in probably 2 years. He's the same age as Stanley and a much better player overall he has just been decimated by injuries. If he's healthy I see no reason he can't push for a 3rd line roster spot this fall. If not he starts the year with the Moose. People are going to be blown away when they see how good this kid is when he is healthy. The funny thing is no one will see it coming and I'll be over here holding up my "I told you so" sign. If not I will eat the crow.

No issue from me if he forces his way into the mix this season. He is a modern dmen with a bucket load of skill, even if he performs well in camp they will likely want him to be playing big minutes on the Moose.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hate to tell you, he’s not making the jets out of camp.
He’s still got potential and a lot of people know his skill set but he needs to gain confidence with big minutes on the Moose.

Never say never. A healthy 21 year old turning 22 soon could easily challenge. If you are trying to say the Jets management will never give him a chance no matter what then I may agree with that. If you are saying he will not look like he can handle the NHL then I would be inclined to strongly disagree.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No issue from me if he forces his way into the mix this season. He is a modern dmen with a bucket load of skill, even if he performs well in camp they will likely want him to be playing big minutes on the Moose.

It's possible it all depends on how camp shakes out. There are at least 2 spots and a PB spot up for grabs. There is no way he sits in the PB for sure. But if he can earn a spot playing 20 minutes a night in a sheltered role he could be very solid. I think people forget just how good he was before injuries hit him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's possible it all depends on how camp shakes out. There are at least 2 spots and a PB spot up for grabs. There is no way he sits in the PB for sure. But if he can earn a spot playing 20 minutes a night in a sheltered role he could be very solid. I think people forget just how good he was before injuries hit him.

Do you see him as being able to beat out Niku, Poolman, Belieau and Pionk? I don't as of yet, he would have to have an absolutely monstrous camp to make the org consider it imo.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you see him as being able to beat out Niku, Poolman, Belieau and Pionk? I don't as of yet, he would have to have an absolutely monstrous camp to make the org consider it imo.
It’s Poolmans turn. He’s earned it, he played well for the Moose last year, he will be great on that bottom pair.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It’s Poolmans turn. He’s earned it, he played well for the Moose last year, he will be great on that bottom pair.

Yeah I believe the org is going to want to see what they have in him this season.

Morrissey Pionk
Belieau Buff
Niku Poolman
Kulikov

That is how I expect the year to start.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah I believe the org is going to want to see what they have in him this season.

Morrissey Pionk
Belieau Buff
Niku Poolman
Kulikov

My guess is we load up the top pair. Then we go Kuli Pionk, Niku Poolman.
My breakout forward for the Moose is Spacek. He's a solid two way centre that I feel gets recalled this year when we have an injury. I should have voted for him this round as I feel he plays a good pro game. Suess may be the PB guy this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My guess is we load up the top pair. Then we go Kuli Pionk, Niku Poolman.
My breakout forward for the Moose is Spacek. He's a solid two way centre that I feel gets recalled this year when we have an injury. I should have voted for him this round as I feel he plays a good pro game. Suess may be the PB guy this year.

Spacek really didn't progress last season so hopefully he takes a step forward this year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Morrissey Pionk
Belieau Buff
Niku Poolman
Kulikov

This is about what I expect but it begs the question on Kuli and if you don't just buy him out. Depending on what the last 4 RFA's come in at to you just get rid of his salary this year for the $1.44 cap hit this year and next.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is about what I expect but it begs the question on Kuli and if you don't just buy him out. Depending on what the last 4 RFA's come in at to you just get rid of his salary this year for the $1.44 cap hit this year and next.

He is a vet in the room and decent insurance imo. But we will have to see what the other players get for contracts to see if that works out.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think he could easily be a better option than Poolman when healthy. But I'm also not that high on a 26 year old who hasn't really shown very well in the NHL to date. Beaulieu is okay but not really good. He is just a body to fall back on if the kids aren't ready yet. Pionk is likely a lock for the roster at this point as the Jets will want to see what they have with him over the course of the season.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Never say never. A healthy 21 year old turning 22 soon could easily challenge. If you are trying to say the Jets management will never give him a chance no matter what then I may agree with that. If you are saying he will not look like he can handle the NHL then I would be inclined to strongly disagree.

Would you be able to give a brief scouting report on him? There hasn’t been much talk about him since he was drafted and I haven’t had the chance to see him play as he’s been hurt and not in the lineup for every Moose game I’ve attended recently.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Would you be able to give a brief scouting report on him? There hasn’t been much talk about him since he was drafted and I haven’t had the chance to see him play as he’s been hurt and not in the lineup for every Moose game I’ve attended recently.

Elite skater with great edgework, loves to join the rush. Very good stick handler, especially in traffic. Great PP QB as he has high end vision and passing abilities. He's not a beast but he isn't weak either. Great wrist shot, gets it off quick and clean. Slapper is pretty good but not amazing. Plays a similar game to Yandle. Not a guy you want to lean on as a #1, but can make a great partner for a shutdown type. After seeing him I initially thought he has 2nd pairing PP QB potential. His skating has only gotten better. He may need some time to adjust after missing so much time but I think he's going to come into this season with a chip on his shoulder, pun intended.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Elite skater with great edgework, loves to join the rush. Very good stick handler, especially in traffic. Great PP QB as he has high end vision and passing abilities. He's not a beast but he isn't weak either. Great wrist shot, gets it off quick and clean. Slapper is pretty good but not amazing. Plays a similar game to Yandle. Not a guy you want to lean on as a #1, but can make a great partner for a shutdown type. After seeing him I initially thought he has 2nd pairing PP QB potential. His skating has only gotten better. He may need some time to adjust after missing so much time but I think he's going to come into this season with a chip on his shoulder, pun intended.

Thanks for this. Sounds like perhaps a future partner for Samberg.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thanks for this. Sounds like perhaps a future partner for Samberg.

They could make a solid pairing for sure. Samberg is the shutdown guy and has a great first pass. Green loves to join the rush and attack the net. Though we are starting to amass a lot of puck moving talent and I don't think all of them will make the cut.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad