23Nogier-6
24Wong+1
25Moe-4
HMNeatonNew
HMEvingsonNC
HMHolmNC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
0 grads from last year's list.

6 new players: Heinola, Nikkanen, Lundmark, Blaisdell, Luoto and Neaton.

7 players dropped: Lemieux, Comrie, Suess, Kerdiles, Bourque, Kraskovsky, Cederholm

Big risers: Chisholm (+11), Gawanke (+9), Vallati (+6)
Big fallers: Spacek (-8), Smith (-6), Nogier (-6)

Thanks to the pollrunners.

Last edited:

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
RankPlayer Change
1Vesalainen+0
2Samberg+2
3HeinolaNew
4Niku-2
5Appleton-2
6Stanley+2
7Berdin+3
8Gustafsson-3
9Kovacevic+2
10NikkanenNew
11Chisholm+11
12Green-3
13Vallati+6
14Gawanke+9
15Spacek-8
16LundmarkNew
17Harkins-2
18McKenzie-2
19Smith-6
20BlaisdelNew
21Virtanen-1
22LuotuNew
23Nogier-6
24Wong+1
25Moe-4
HMNeatonNew
HMEvingsonNC
HMHolmNC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

6 new players: Heinola, Nikkanen, Lundmark, Blaisdell, Luotu and Neaton.

7 players dropped: Lemieux, Comrie, Suess, Kerdiles, Bourque, Kraskovsky, Cederholm

Very curious to see how big riser Gawanke does in 2019-20, transitioning to the pro game. Let's see if he's a riser again 1 year from now.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I like the list other than Heinola over Niku. HF loves that new car smell.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wake me up When either starts playing pro in North America.

Not a very good argument, IMO. Jack Hughes must not be as good a prospect as Niku either, he hasn’t played pro in North America.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I love Niku and I would have no problem with having him ranked above those two, but I just see them having higher potential. Niku is more NHL ready though.

Last edited:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Not a very good argument, IMO. Jack Hughes must not be as good a prospect as Niku either, he hasn’t played pro in North America.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I love Niku and I would have no problem with having him ranked above those two, but I just see them having higher potential. Niku is more NHL ready though.
Oh yeah, that was exactly my point. Slay that strawman!

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
RankPlayer Change
1Vesalainen+0
2Samberg+2
3HeinolaNew
4Niku-2
5Appleton-2
6Stanley+2
7Berdin+3
8Gustafsson-3
9Kovacevic+2
10NikkanenNew
11Chisholm+11
12Green-3
13Vallati+6
14Gawanke+9
15Spacek-8
16LundmarkNew
17Harkins-2
18McKenzie-2
19Smith-6
20BlaisdelNew
21Virtanen-1
22LuotuNew
23Nogier-6
24Wong+1
25Moe-4
HMNeatonNew
HMEvingsonNC
HMHolmNC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

6 new players: Heinola, Nikkanen, Lundmark, Blaisdell, Luotu and Neaton.

Thanks, great post.

Btw. it's Joona Luoto, not Luotu. Jokingly, one could argue he is also luotu ("created"), but his name is Luoto ("islet").

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
What else really can be inferred from that? That they aren’t as good as prospects because they haven’t played pro in North America?
You really think you can compare Jack Hughes and his accomplishments to Heinola? Jack Hughes who has been the best of his age group at the highest competition available. You're going to compare a project like Heinola to a NHL ready draft pick? That's what you are doing here? Jack Hughes has shown to be the best of his age group while we are hoping for Heinola who was the 8th dman and 20th player picked to be something in 3 years. You think those development paths are the similar? This is what you are saying? This is how you are going to over simplify my short post? What are you doing here?

Heinola is going back to Finland, probably for a couple years. Then the Jets will test him with the Moose to see where he is at on North American ice against other players of his level and go from there to see how much more he needs to develop before he's in the NHL.

I've had this discussion before when it comes to stat watchers of other leagues and their useless NHLe models that dont work You cant compare leagues with just stats. There are too many variables from the competition to the size of the rink to the effort level players put into having an overall game and not just trying to put up points.

Tolvanen from the Preds was a good example. Look at the goals he put up in the KHL. He came over to the AHL and he's just ok. THe KHL with the size of the rink and style of play is a different game than in North American pro. You can score using skills that just don't work over here because you just don't get the same time and space as well as the commitment to defense is less emphasized.

With a project like Heinola he's going to slowly adjust his game over years taking steps towards being on the Jets. One of those steps like Samberg will be the AHL to really see where they are at on a level playing field.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You really think you can compare Jack Hughes and his accomplishments to Heinola? Jack Hughes who has been the best of his age group at the highest competition available. You're going to compare a project like Heinola to a NHL ready draft pick? That's what you are doing here? Jack Hughes has shown to be the best of his age group while we are hoping for Heinola who was the 8th dman and 20th player picked to be something in 3 years. You think those development paths are the similar? This is what you are saying? This is how you are going to over simplify my short post? What are you doing here?

Heinola is going back to Finland, probably for a couple years. Then the Jets will test him with the Moose to see where he is at on North American ice against other players of his level and go from there to see how much more he needs to develop before he's in the NHL.

I've had this discussion before when it comes to stat watchers of other leagues and their useless NHLe models that dont work You cant compare leagues with just stats. There are too many variables from the competition to the size of the rink to the effort level players put into having an overall game and not just trying to put up points.

Tolvanen from the Preds was a good example. Look at the goals he put up in the KHL. He came over to the AHL and he's just ok. THe KHL with the size of the rink and style of play is a different game than in North American pro. You can score using skills that just don't work over here because you just don't get the same time and space as well as the commitment to defense is less emphasized.

With a project like Heinola he's going to slowly adjust his game over years taking steps towards being on the Jets. One of those steps like Samberg will be the AHL to really see where they are at on a level playing field.
Heinola and Samberg are hardly projects. Both are top tier prospects and very likely will make up 1/2 of our top 4 in a couple years. Statistically Heinola had one of the best Liiga seasons ever by a draft eligible defenseman.

Elite Prospects - Liiga Stats All-time season

Samberg was a beast at the World Juniors and was leaned on hard as a shut down defenseman as UMD went on to win their second of back to back NCAA championships. If Samberg signed today he would be in our lineup opening night.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Too bad Sammy is a left shot because I would love to see him paired with JMo.
We have LOTS of O in our D men...Morrissey, Buff, Pionk can all put up the points. What we need is a D like Samberg. He doesn't care too much aboutpoints. I haven't watched him enough to tell if he has a mean streak but Buff has one as does Trouba...Morrisssey and, from what I can tell, Pionk also have a bit of one. I like to see it in a D man.
Sammy is a big boy that is only going to get biggger for the next little while. If our D corps in two years (2021-2022 season) were the following, I wouldn't complain...

JMo -Niku
Samberg -Buff
Heinola- Kovacevic

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Heinola and Samberg are hardly projects. Both are top tier prospects and very likely will make up 1/2 of our top 4 in a couple years. Statistically Heinola had one of the best Liiga seasons ever by a draft eligible defenseman.

Elite Prospects - Liiga Stats All-time season

Samberg was a beast at the World Juniors and was leaned on hard as a shut down defenseman as UMD went on to win their second of back to back NCAA championships. If Samberg signed today he would be in our lineup opening night.
Uh huh. Neither one is doing any of that anytime soon. Samberg was drafted 2 years ago and is still 2 or 3 years away from even showing he can reach your projection. That's a project.

Heinola is weak as a kitten and still 2 years from even thinking of crossing the pond. That's a project.

A lot of things can happen along the way over the years. Neither one is a shoe in for anything. We can only hope they both reach your projections. Just like we are still hoping for Roslovic and Niku to reach the projections on this board from 2 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad