Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Jason Jaffray

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
not any better then the numerous waiver excempt ahl players we already have, that's the concern.

A lot of us would rather see a young guy given a shot then an old guy "rewarded" for his loyalty.

Obviously it's small potato's, but if he draws in over our younger AHL guys it means at least one of two things: our ahl depth is atrocious and not even worth resigning. Or the club will make decisions(at least sometimes) based on some weird principal that doesn't involve whats best for the team or development.

that's the main thing people are concerned about. In actuality, the "effect' should be minimal, its more the "principal" that i think most are concerned with.

I think you need a mix of both youth and veteran experience so yeah this isnt an indictment on our young guys its just a case of the coach knowing what he is gonna get from a player

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I think you need a mix of both youth and veteran experience so yeah this isnt an indictment on our young guys its just a case of the coach knowing what he is gonna get from a player

That's probably the case. I remember last training camp Jaffray was one of the early send downs. Noel pretty much said, its not that hes a bad player, its just that he knew exactly what Jaffray could bring so didn't need any more time to evaluate him. If we need someone to fill in for an injury, plug a fourth line role, Jaffray is fine for a few games.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

And what is that exactly? We had 3 lines last season, the rest were AHL scrubs pretty much, and Jaffray stood out as the worst player on the ice in the games he played.

Honestly, the only way this move makes sense, is if they signed him to have him sit in the stands in Winnipeg so he doesn't get ice time in the AHL that our young guys could use.

Edit: Last paragraph is obviously never going to happen.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Makes sense to me.

The Jets have said they will base their call up on who is playing best in the AHL.

The deal with the Jets makes that possible. I doubt we will see much of him though.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
And what is that exactly? We had 3 lines last season, the rest were AHL scrubs pretty much, and Jaffray stood out as the worst player on the ice in the games he played.

Honestly, the only way this move makes sense, is if they signed him to have him sit in the stands in Winnipeg so he doesn't get ice time in the AHL that our young guys could use.

Thats not the opinion of the coaching staff. We had a winning record while he was in the line up as far as I am concerned the AHL is where we develop our young guys if ur ready to play ur ready to play simple as that

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Thats not the opinion of the coaching staff. We had a winning record while he was in the line up as far as I am concerned the AHL is where we develop our young guys if ur ready to play ur ready to play simple as that

Yeah, in December, when Pavs was sporting a .930 save%.

I just don't get that. Yes, if you're ready to play, they send you up, but why give a 31 year old guy who couldn't stick to the big league when we had no depth at all, and were basically rolling 3 lines, an NHL contract? Instead of giving the younger guys a chance to show what they can do?

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah, in December, when Pavs was sporting a .930 save%.

I just don't get that. Yes, if you're ready to play, they send you up, but why give a 31 year old guy who couldn't stick to the big league when we had no depth at all, and were basically rolling 3 lines, an NHL contract? Instead of giving the younger guys a chance to show what they can do?

Its not always about development... Putting in a guy that you know and can depend on is sometimes the better choice especially if ur playing a more veteran team

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
This signing is neither here nor there for me, but did any of you guys watch the Ice Caps game against Hamilton?

Jaffray was our best player, and it wasn't even close. Mahachek was invisible, and Klingberg was awful - Macenauer was ok...darn right we should be concerned about prospect depth.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Its not always about development... Putting in a guy that you know and can depend on is sometimes the better choice especially if ur playing a more veteran team

do we know he can depend on him? has he actually done anything on the NHL level to prove his worth over Machacek, Maxwell and co?

49 games played under VERY sheltered minutes and 4G 7A?
I'm sorry but I dearly hope that Machacek, Maxwell and Cormier don't get picked over as they are already better. We don't want someone that has to be sheltered. We have enough already of those guys plus maybe one more with Peluso now... oh god :facepalm:
I can be fine if they use Jaffray as a bluemoon call-up but I do not think of him as a possible NHL reg.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Great news. I've got Jaffray in my fantasy league. Hopefully Redden signs with a team soon and my picks are all actually playing this year.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
Well after seeing half of the home games, Jaffray is playing way better than Maxwell and Klingberg. A Fair bit better than Mahachek. I think Jaffray and Sawada have been the best forwards for the team on a consistent basis. Cormier has not been back long, It's harder to judge him.

The talent pool here for forwards is shallow indeed.

Telegin has a lot of learning to do, but has the most promise maybe for the 2014-2015 season

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
do we know he can depend on him? has he actually done anything on the NHL level to prove his worth over Machacek, Maxwell and co?

49 games played under VERY sheltered minutes and 4G 7A?
I'm sorry but I dearly hope that Machacek, Maxwell and Cormier don't get picked over as they are already better. We don't want someone that has to be sheltered. We have enough already of those guys plus maybe one more with Peluso now... oh god :facepalm:
I can be fine if they use Jaffray as a bluemoon call-up but I do not think of him as a possible NHL reg.

Coach likes him and knows what he has to offer that's good enough for me to get behind the signing

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
I've been a fan of Jason for a while now so naturally I'm happy for him. He's got better finish than his numbers indicate and he's developing into an artful checker. If he's in the lineup on opening day, I'll be a bit surprised yet equally interested to see what happens. JJ#41 woooo!

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
I think this signing is an excellent indicator of the shape of the organization. I won't hate on Jeffray but I will say that spending what seems to be 700-900K on a 3rd line AHL player is an indicator we lack skill, depth and prospects in the AHL and elsewhere. We will require many of these players to simply fill roster spots. We can thank ATL for leaving the cupboards bare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad