Confirmed with Link: Jets sign D Julien Brouillette to 600k one year, two-way contract.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I appreciate depth signings, but I don't understand another LHD for the Icecaps.... but this is a cursory glance at the roster and I don't know it will enough. That said, it is really hard to fault a league minimum two-way signing, once we still let some of our younger talent get ice time on the rock.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Isn't Buff gonna be our emergency RHD in case of injury trouble?

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Fun fact: The Jets have signed more free agents on 2 way deals that have been termed on this board as "a signing for the AHL team" then they have actual players for the NHL team. Certainly lends more credence to the theory that TNSE cares more about the AHL team than the NHL team

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Lends credence to a preposterous presumption? Both teams need to be stocked - if these players were signed to 1 way contracts, would that be a better thing, and signal they're more interested in the NHL team? I prefer to see it as depth signings, and appropriate contract negotiations based on the worth of players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fun fact: The Jets have signed more free agents on 2 way deals that have been termed on this board as "a signing for the AHL team" then they have actual players for the NHL team. Certainly lends more credence to the theory that TNSE cares more about the AHL team than the NHL team

Did you mean this as sarcasm? If not, this is a preposterous notion.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
All this signing are being done because, Morrissey, Lowry, lipon, Ehler, Kosmochuk will be playing with the big club in some sort of capacity. Some less and some more.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Did you mean this as sarcasm? If not, this is a preposterous notion.

Agreed. How is it even theoretically possible to care more about your AHL team? But they do have to ice a team so they need to sign some depth players to play there. There are not enough pro ready/eligible prospects in the organization with NHL potential to fill out the lineup.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed. How is it even theoretically possible to care more about your AHL team? But they do have to ice a team so they need to sign some depth players to play there. There are not enough pro ready/eligible prospects in the organization with NHL potential to fill out the lineup.

Exactly. You need to have complementary and competitive players for your best prospects to play alongside at the AHL level. Most of these signings are to surround the Jets best prospects with players that bring a good attitude and a chance to be competitive. They also need to fit with the entire organization's playing style.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

What I think you are seeing is players who want to be a part of our organization, maybe not top end free agents, but the tweeners...You look at guys like Jimmy Roy in the front office, and Jason Jaffray with the Caps, and it is evident that TNSE treats their personnel well...A lot of these tweeners could make more money playing in Europe. Evidently True North has earned their respect, or else they would not sign with us...

And that is nothing to complain about...

If we are able to get NHL capable personnel like Adam Pardy (I think he goes down if Morrissey stays), Matt Halischuk, who I think will probably become a mentor to Scott Kosmachuk in his first year, and a guy like Brouillette to play for our organization we are a better organization as a consequence...I think having a 1st class minor league affiliate will translate into having players better prepared for the pros.

The defense for the Caps could look like

Brouillette-O'Neill
Chiarot-Kichton
Freibergs-Fredheim
Melchiori, Hill

which at first glance appears to be a much better skating and puck moving unit than previous ones.

Nothing wrong with having a guy from St. Esprit in the organization, as going into this 4th year we could conceivably use a little help from the Holy Ghost.

jetkarma*

Who was the other AHL signing I must have missed it?

The St. John’s IceCaps have agreed to terms with a pair of defencemen, re-signing Kris Fredheim and signing Ralfs Freibergs.

Fredheim played in 48 games for the IceCaps in 2013-14, notching five points (1G, 4A). He also recorded one assist and six penalty minutes in 11 playoff contests. drafted in the sixth round (185th overall) by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

Freibergs played in 37 games with Bowling Green State University (NCAA) in 2013-14, notching 22 points (3G, 22A) and 51 penalty minutes with a -4 rating. In his two-year career at Bowling Green, Freibergs compiled 29 points (4G, 25A) and 55 penalty minutes in 45 games

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
The St. John’s IceCaps have agreed to terms with a pair of defencemen, re-signing Kris Fredheim and signing Ralfs Freibergs.

Fredheim played in 48 games for the IceCaps in 2013-14, notching five points (1G, 4A). He also recorded one assist and six penalty minutes in 11 playoff contests. drafted in the sixth round (185th overall) by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

Freibergs played in 37 games with Bowling Green State University (NCAA) in 2013-14, notching 22 points (3G, 22A) and 51 penalty minutes with a -4 rating. In his two-year career at Bowling Green, Freibergs compiled 29 points (4G, 25A) and 55 penalty minutes in 45 games

Thanks, I'd heard about Friebergs but not Fredheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad