Confirmed with Link: Jets Sign Comrie

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Chevy Claus signing another draft pick near Xmas.

Damn shame that Comrie isn't playing at the WJC's, I guess this isn't a bad consolation prize for him.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Eric-Comrie-at-Development-Camp-2013-300x200.jpg

Signed for an AAV of $925,000.00.

For full release click here.

Eric-Comrie-300x225.jpg

We have some audio & video we did down at the draft in NJ with Comrie.

To listen/watch click here.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
weird to see him signed so early. I'd have prefered he have waited with comrie, but i guess it doesn't matter as the contract still slides.

Just cautious of the whole "volatile goal tender development" thing.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Wonder why they decided to sign him this soon. I can't see any real reason to.

There's not exactly a reason NOT to, but unless he's playing NHL next year him having a contract was fairly pointless.

Puckschmuck*

I just came back from a visit with a family friend who's son plays on the Tri-City team and is back in Winnipeg for the holidays. Based on my inside knowledge, Eric is a stand up kid who has a very bright future, and is very much looking forward to potentially playing for the Jets in the not-so-distant future.

And now for my shameless plug, keep your eye on another local Winnipeg teen name Braden Purtill (the family friend's son and Eric's teammate), who is another up-and-coming talented young man who I feel will go the distance in the NHL one day :)

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, at least we have some good news to wash away yesterday... :shakehead

Shame he isn't at WJCs, Comrie has looked very solid on a poor WHL team this year.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Isnt Montoya out of contract at the end of this season?

Yes, but there's almost no way Comrie becomes our backup. He's likely not ready for it and it would be bad for his development. As a backup he wouldn't be playing much and he'd be far better off playing in junior then playing AHL, all as a starter.

We either re-sign Montoya, sign/trade for someone else, or Eddie Pasquale gets a promotion for next year's backup duties.

jetkarma*

Merry Christmas ,

signed
Chevy

Small step , not unexpected , but still positive.

robbza

Oct 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Yes, but there's almost no way Comrie becomes our backup. He's likely not ready for it and it would be bad for his development. As a backup he wouldn't be playing much and he'd be far better off playing in junior then playing AHL, all as a starter.

We either re-sign Montoya, sign/trade for someone else, or Eddie Pasquale gets a promotion for next year's backup duties.

But wouldnt Comrie need a entry level deal to play for St John?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Interesting to see what Hellebuyck does.

If he takes all 4 NCAA years, he will be moving to pro while Comrie will already have had 1 year of pro experience, even though Hellebuyck will be the older goaltender.

If he takes 2 years and signs this summer, he will move to pro before Comrie but with Jets likely having three depth goaltenders already in Eddie, Hutch and Juho. All three of those guys have enough upside and are RFAs so I don't see Chevy throwing away any of them this summer unless he has an immediate upgrade (like guy coming over from Europe), and I'm not sure they think Pasquale is ready for the NHL yet.

If he takes 3 years, he will move to pro the same year as Comrie and will have had more experience against a higher level of QoC, and it is likely that only one if any of Hutch, Eddie and Juho remain in the AHL. All will likely be in NHL or on other teams.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm perfectly fine with them signing him. We own his rights for 2 years post-draft sans contract, which is when he is 20 and eligible to go to St. John's. He shows no sign of regression and TNSE must feel comfortable enough in his character and game to reward him.

Prairiehockey

Jun 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting to see what Hellebuyck does.

If he takes all 4 NCAA years, he will be moving to pro while Comrie will already have had 1 year of pro experience, even though Hellebuyck will be the older goaltender.

If he takes 2 years and signs this summer, he will move to pro before Comrie but with Jets likely having three depth goaltenders already in Eddie, Hutch and Juho. All three of those guys have enough upside and are RFAs so I don't see Chevy throwing away any of them this summer unless he has an immediate upgrade (like guy coming over from Europe), and I'm not sure they think Pasquale is ready for the NHL yet.

If he takes 3 years, he will move to pro the same year as Comrie and will have had more experience against a higher level of QoC, and it is likely that only one if any of Hutch, Eddie and Juho remain in the AHL. All will likely be in NHL or on other teams.

In general we need to look at the players more so as assets rather than future Jets. Aside from the potential one or more bust, if at a minimum they stay healthy and continue with strong play during their developmental years in the NCAA etc they can be valuable (ie. high upside & low cost) bargaining chips to improve the Jets in areas of need.

The experience of the Pavelec extension is more than enough proof that depth at any position, is imperative. Chevy was dealing from a position of weakness during the contract negotiations as we had zero depth at G behind Pavs and with Walsh dangling the KHL option the Jets had to pony up more than they likely wanted to. The conditional acquisition of Gustavsson's rights was proof of how empty the cupboard was.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Anyone here concerned about his hips? His brother Mike retired at a relatively young age due to his hips and had three hip surgeries. Eric just had his first, here's a quote:

If that's true, other teams need to do more homework on goalie hips.

Comrie was never worried. In addition to having the procedure done by Dr. Marc Philippon, who has performed hip surgery on many NHL goalies, as well as golfing great Greg Norman, Pittsburgh Penguins owner Mario Lemieux and New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez, Comrie had his hips fixed before the impingement caused any tearing in his labrum.

Comrie went into it confident, and he says he actually came out even more flexible.

"Right now, I feel way better than I did before," said Comrie, who had the hips operated on six days apart and was back to being himself on the ice by early June. "I feel more flexible, quicker side to side, stronger and more stable in my movements. I feel like I have more mobility in the butterfly and probably a little bit wider butterfly too. I have always been a flexible guy, but right now, I can get in and out of the splits way quicker than I have been able to before. Not only that, but I feel like I am more stable in the butterfly and more stable in the splits and when I have to get athletic in my movements. I feel like I have more body control and body awareness when I make those movements."

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=694235

Of course that's Jets propaganda and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad