TSN: Jets should eye Condra and Bergenheim at trade deadline

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hopefully, this TD will look like the last one, with it really being a buyer's market because of the uncertainties with the cap.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Lately, Thorburn has looked like an upgrade over Halischuk. He really needs to be replaced by someone better. But he does have a tremendous work ethic.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
....mentioned this in the Trade thread...

How much better is Frolik than Bergenheim?

If it's not a significant downgrade and Frolik won't re-sign, I wonder if the Jets rent Bergenheim and sell Frolik, picking up better net future assets in the deals.

Then trade Postma for a decent bottom-6 player.

I think Bergenheim might re-sign with the Jets for cheaper than Frolik (maybe for 2-3 years), and becomes a cheap, bottom-6 option for the next couple of years. Use the extra money to bring back Burmi and apply the rest to Ladd and/or Buff. Bergie slides down to the 3rd or 4th line next year, with Burmi and Ehlers coming into the top-9...

LLW
Perreault-Scheifele-Ehlers
Kane-Burmi-Bergenheim
XXX-Lowry-Thorbs / Peluso

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
all this talk about upgrading hali. while i agree, my view on the situation is providing a reasonable body for when one of our top 9 inevitably goes down with an injury in the playoffs (or push for playoffs).

Yes, let's replace hali, but we also need someone to keep 3rd line sniper Thorburn from being a recurring reality.

get a guy like bergenheim, and roll lowry/kane/berg and thor/slater/hali . and use Hali to jump up to 3rd line when we get the injury. (all of this is taking into account the crazyness of using thor over galiardi that we're doing already, and the somewhat crazyness of thor over peluso).

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Personally, I do not get all this hype for getting rentals. It runs the risk of ruining the chemistry the team has. If you have injuries then it makes sense; however, if the current team got you this far then why not stick with what works.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Personally, I do not get all this hype for getting rentals. It runs the risk of ruining the chemistry the team has. If you have injuries then it makes sense; however, if the current team got you this far then why not stick with what works.

Adding a player ruins chemistry? How?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If we give up basically nothing (mid-late pick), there is still a "chemistry" risk, but worst case scenario that guy doesn't work and ends up sitting in the press box. If you don't take some risks, you don't hoist the cup.

I like Condra as a bottom 6er, preferably a guy who'd slot in on the 4th and be able to play up a bit when necessary. Basically an upgrade on Halischuk/Thorburn If we could get him for Postma with late picks to balance it out either way, I'd be good with that. I'm finding it very hard to value Postma though.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Adding a player ruins chemistry? How?

Easy, they do not know the system so there are breakdowns. Someone who has been working hard getting the team here may be a healthy scratch causing moral problems.

Simple, what is wrong with going with what works? getting a high profile signing is no guarantee. just ask minni.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Easy, they do not know the system so there are breakdowns. Someone who has been working hard getting the team here may be a healthy scratch causing moral problems.

Simple, what is wrong with going with what works? getting a high profile signing is no guarantee. just ask minni.

13-14: Gaborik
12-13: Handzus
11-12: Carter
10-11: Peverley, Kelly, Kaberle

Seems that recent Stanley Cup winners haven't had too much problem integrating significant players into their lineups at the deadline.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'd like to get Bergy in, kind of doubt we bring in another UFA unless we get Frolik tied down though.

I also found Chevy's comments about how he saw next year's possible big influx of rookie talent as "interesting" and I'm wondering if he's considering using any as trade pieces for established NHL talent.

rookie contracts are key to Winnipeg remaining a mid-level-salary NHL team.
vets will be traded before rookies.
and no, it still doesn't explain the Thorburn or Stuart contracts

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
....mentioned this in the Trade thread...

How much better is Frolik than Bergenheim?

If it's not a significant downgrade and Frolik won't re-sign, I wonder if the Jets rent Bergenheim and sell Frolik, picking up better net future assets in the deals.

Then trade Postma for a decent bottom-6 player.

I think Bergenheim might re-sign with the Jets for cheaper than Frolik (maybe for 2-3 years), and becomes a cheap, bottom-6 option for the next couple of years. Use the extra money to bring back Burmi and apply the rest to Ladd and/or Buff. Bergie slides down to the 3rd or 4th line next year, with Burmi and Ehlers coming into the top-9...

LLW
Perreault-Scheifele-Ehlers
Kane-Burmi-Bergenheim
XXX-Lowry-Thorbs / Peluso

If we lean towards future planning over maximum push for this year, this makes a lot of sense.

BTW - Perreault-Sheifele-Ehlers is a whole lot of fancy sticks on one line. I like it!

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Yes, please. Anybody to the Jets to relieve them of having both Peluso and Thorbs in the same lineup.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I wish we'd give O'Dell a chance at #4 C. I think he'd look good with Hali and Gali.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Scheifele - Frolik
Kane - Lowry - (acquisition)
Galiardi - O'Dell - Halischuk
(Thorburn - Slater - Peluso)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I wish we'd gave O'Dell a chance as well ... something must have happend or whatever. O'Dell has never been in their plans this season, even after his very nice stint last season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wish we'd give O'Dell a chance at #4 C. I think he'd look good with Hali and Gali.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Scheifele - Frolik
Kane - Lowry - (acquisition)
Galiardi - O'Dell - Halischuk
(Thorburn - Slater - Peluso)

I wish we'd gave O'Dell a chance as well ... something must have happend or whatever. O'Dell has never been in their plans this season, even after his very nice stint last season.

4C, 3RW, 4LW, 4RW, O'Dell, Klingberg, Cormier, Galiardi. Just not happening even when we had significant injuries. It isn't like we don't have soft spots on the depth chart even when healthy. Those players have been written off like they don't exist.

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
[mod] The team is exceeding and breaking all expectations, so why exactly would they start changing the line up with unproven rookies? Say what your want about Slater and Thorburn, but they have been a part of this season's success and have contributed in ways that aren't always counted in the box score.

Want to talk about chemistry, it takes a certain type of player to accept playing minimal minutes and maximize those minutes. It is one thing to add a proven NHL player, but to start swapping players in and out of the line up, just to "try" other players, would create a very distrusting atmosphere and destroying the existing chemistry within the room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What about Chris Neal as a rental? I hate what he does when we play Ottawa. Might be good on our 4th line. Big agitator who can throw another team off their game and still has some skill.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
[mod] The team is exceeding and breaking all expectations, so why exactly would they start changing the line up with unproven rookies? Say what your want about Slater and Thorburn, but they have been a part of this season's success and have contributed in ways that aren't always counted in the box score.

Want to talk about chemistry, it takes a certain type of player to accept playing minimal minutes and maximize those minutes. It is one thing to add a proven NHL player, but to start swapping players in and out of the line up, just to "try" other players, would create a very distrusting atmosphere and destroying the existing chemistry within the room.

They could be part of the success.
They could also be the reason why they are not more successful.
Who knows for certain the Jets are the best they possibly could be?

I don't know about you... but I think there's a lot of hockey players who would be happy being hockey players and getting a mil.

Seems to me too much of its existence proves its worth type argument.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
What about Chris Neal as a rental? I hate what he does when we play Ottawa. Might be good on our 4th line. Big agitator who can throw another team off their game and still has some skill.

Neil really isn't worth the assets when we already have Thorburn and Peluso IMO.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

He's been injured a lot this year and hasn't played for a while.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
They could be part of the success.
They could also be the reason why they are not more successful.
Who knows for certain the Jets are the best they possibly could be?

I don't know about you... but I think there's a lot of hockey players who would be happy being hockey players and getting a mil.

Seems to me too much of its existence proves its worth type argument.

Probably a lot of people. For instance, anyone who thinks they'd be better with more hockey players and fewer plugs. I think you're one of those people, Garret, despite your diplomacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad