Confirmed with Link: Jets select Scott Kosmachuk (70th overall)

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
0a1c5f4342048c51cbd4142a0e6b.jpeg

Becel

I Hate Jamie Macoun
Sep 14, 2011
70th pick...

Know nothing about him, but was ranked fairly high. Another strong North American body.

6ft 185lbs.

67GP 30G 29A 59P 110PIM

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I only saw Guelph once last season, late in the year. The only thing I remember about him was that he was busting his ass the entire game so that is encouraging.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
According to Elite Hockey prospects, he possesses an innate ability to get in position to score goals and capitalizes. He excels in high traffic areas. Plays a real North-south game. Needs some work on his two way game, but projects to be a 2nd/3rd line tweener who bring loads of intangibles.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
When the flurry of 3rd rounders were going by.. they were approx 10-15picks AFTER the Jets pick and Bob McKenzie singled out the Jets choice of Kosmachuk.. saying he has an innate ability to get open and "Score big goals"... that's encouraging!

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
interesting coincidence - hockey prospects guide has scott kosmachuk 48th and lucas sutter 49th.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
another coincidence? first line in guide describing sutter:
"Lukas Sutter’s draft stock has gone the opposite direction
from Ryan Olsen’s

Stevie28

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I grew up with the guy in Richmond hill, hes a real hard worker, good character guy and can put the puck in the net at the same time. Wish the leafs snagged him.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I had Kosmachuk ranked 13th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote about him.

Kosmachuk is a solid North/South winger who crashes and bangs and can really put the puck in the net. Nail Yakupov led the way in goal scoring among draft eligible players with 31, but Kosmachuk was right there behind him in 2nd with 30. He has excellent goal scoring instincts and can score in a multitude of ways. He's most effective crashing hard to the net and is an excellent garbage man. He's not tall, but he's stocky and is already quite strong. His shot coming down the wing is a work in progress, but it's already quite good. While he's a good goal scorer, Kosmachuk is also clearly a fun guy to play with. He's a very effective forecheck and is strong along the boards. He also creates room for his linemates with his energy and effort. His passing skills off the rush are strong too IMO, however at full speed his stick handling skills can suffer some. He's certainly not someone you can expect to bring the house down with a brilliant one on one move. He knows what his strengths are and he keeps the game simple offensively. His three zone game is a bit of a work in progress. Sometimes he looks strong as a defensive player, other times he's passive in his own end. I think it's probably a matter of conserving his energy so that he can play aggressively at both ends of the ice. I was really disappointed in the fact that he didn't play a large role at the Under 18's, because when he did play, I felt like he was very visible. At the end of the day, you know what you're getting in Kosmachuk. A hard nosed goal scoring winger who can compliment more finesse type players.

EhlersPLDConnor

Mar 25, 2012
Winnipeg
I had Kosmachuk ranked 13th among OHL players for the draft. Here's what I wrote about him.

Kosmachuk is a solid North/South winger who crashes and bangs and can really put the puck in the net. Nail Yakupov led the way in goal scoring among draft eligible players with 31, but Kosmachuk was right there behind him in 2nd with 30. He has excellent goal scoring instincts and can score in a multitude of ways. He's most effective crashing hard to the net and is an excellent garbage man. He's not tall, but he's stocky and is already quite strong. His shot coming down the wing is a work in progress, but it's already quite good. While he's a good goal scorer, Kosmachuk is also clearly a fun guy to play with. He's a very effective forecheck and is strong along the boards. He also creates room for his linemates with his energy and effort. His passing skills off the rush are strong too IMO, however at full speed his stick handling skills can suffer some. He's certainly not someone you can expect to bring the house down with a brilliant one on one move. He knows what his strengths are and he keeps the game simple offensively. His three zone game is a bit of a work in progress. Sometimes he looks strong as a defensive player, other times he's passive in his own end. I think it's probably a matter of conserving his energy so that he can play aggressively at both ends of the ice. I was really disappointed in the fact that he didn't play a large role at the Under 18's, because when he did play, I felt like he was very visible. At the end of the day, you know what you're getting in Kosmachuk. A hard nosed goal scoring winger who can compliment more finesse type players.

Great read. The more I read about our prospects, the more convinced I am that we had one of the better drafts compared to other teams. :nod:

anatsu

twitter: @finanatsu
May 31, 2010
Finland
I love this pick when I read more about him. Sound little bit of poor-man's Jordan Eberle. A great, great pick in third round. With drafting Trouba in first round, I'm so glad how Jets drafted this year.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
This kids awesome. Did anyone watch his interview? Totally down to earth, just another bro.

Wicked, when can i get my Kosmachuk jersey?

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Great value pick IMO. I had him ranked higher than Sutter. I think he has more offensive upside and a great shot. His size may have scared some teams off, but he plays a gritty game. He'll obviously need to work on his skating and overall defensive positioning. A solid guy to have in the locker room to.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Great value pick IMO. I had him ranked higher than Sutter. I think he has more offensive upside and a great shot. His size may have scared some teams off, but he plays a gritty game. He'll obviously need to work on his skating and overall defensive positioning. A solid guy to have in the locker room to.

Many pundits are saying that he was a bit of a steal at the position we selected him at. I'm hoping so - watching video of him, he seems to have some real drive to win.

EDIT: here were his draft rankings as of June 2nd:

Rankings
•ISS: 47
•CSS (N.A. skaters): 24
•McKeen's: (n/r in top 30)
•The Hockey News: 45
•The Scouting Report: 35
•Craig Button (May): (n/r in top 60)
•Hockey Prospectus: 61

•"Consensus" aggregate of several services (May): 43

PostmanPat1919

Jul 18, 2011
Many pundits are saying that he was a bit of a steal at the position we selected him at. I'm hoping so - watching video of him, he seems to have some real drive to win.

EDIT: here were his draft rankings as of June 2nd:

Rankings
•ISS: 47
•CSS (N.A. skaters): 24
•McKeen's: (n/r in top 30)
•The Hockey News: 45
•The Scouting Report: 35
•Craig Button (May): (n/r in top 60)
•Hockey Prospectus: 61

•"Consensus" aggregate of several services (May): 43

Appears like the Jets got a lot of value in Kosmachuk. I was a tad concerned with Sutter because of his limited offensive potential. Kosmachuk on the other hand seems to be the sort of gritty player with offensive potential that I feel would have been a fantastic 2nd round choice. To get that kind of selection in the third round makes me pretty happy overall.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Red Line Report has him at #25 overall.

Says he has only average speed, but is strong on his skates and tough to knock off the puck. Plays on the #1 PP and PK units, and is willing to give up his body to block shots.

Projection: 2nd line scoring winger for lower tier team
Style compares to: Matt Hasischuk

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Red Line Report has him at #25 overall.

Says he has only average speed, but is strong on his skates and tough to knock off the puck. Plays on the #1 PP and PK units, and is willing to give up his body to block shots.

Projection: 2nd line scoring winger for lower tier team
Style compares to: Matt Hasischuk

I'll take that in the 3rd round, any day of the week. Nice pick.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
From what I've read about him, sounds like he could be sort of in the same mold as Kris Versteeg. If he's got that sort of upside, nabbing him in the 3rd round is a steal!!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad