Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Hutchinson:

burning-bridge.jpg

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Someone should offer Hutch some advice. Edit: Guess he didn't sizzle the bridge yet.

Attachments

• 808_edit.jpg
    808_edit.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but Jamie Phillips (now retired) was on a Podcast a couple months ago, and discussed his time with the Winnipeg Jets and Moose. Some very interesting topics discussed include Buff, Laine, what it was like moving between ECHL, AHL, and NHL, etc. Was not favourable to Laine, and Chevy. Not sure if we are allowed to post links, but its the Slangin' The Bizkit podcast on You Tube, episode 35.

Reactions: hn777

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but Jamie Phillips (now retired) was on a Podcast a couple months ago, and discussed his time with the Winnipeg Jets and Moose. Some very interesting topics discussed include Buff, Laine, what it was like moving between ECHL, AHL, and NHL, etc. Was not favourable to Laine, and Chevy. Not sure if we are allowed to post links, but its the Slangin' The Bizkit podcast on You Tube, episode 35.
Not to be mean, but Jamie Phillips sounds like the biggest crybaby.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is the interview

Can somebody give a recap?

Halfway through, here are some highlights:

On Buff:

Said he was sitting with Buff (who was sick with a cold) during a flight to Minny during the playoffs and was nervous. The flight got stuck for several hours due to a snow storm. Buff's phone died so Buff asked for his phone to watch some fishing videos and ate up all his data.

Said that Buff is a good guy.

On Winnipeg:

Lots of positive things to say about the employees at the Winnipeg Airport, said they were really nice to him esp when he was bouncing back and forth between AHL and ECHL. Said they made the process easier.

On Laine:

Said on a playoff trip when he was a Black Ace, he was on the bus, Laine was there he dropped a Louis Vutton dufflebag in front of Phillips and said "10k... don't touch", said that it made him feel really shitty and said he was thinking "what do you think I am gonna take your bag? I am on your team man, we're on a bus". Says that he bought a knock off version of that bag and uses it as motivation whenever he feels school is too hard to motivate himself.

On the Jets:

Said that getting drafted by the Jets was probably the worst thing that happened to him, said that he was a top-5 goalie in the NCAA in his final season but no one paid attention to him assuming he'd be signed by the Jets. Talked about how he was far behind other goalies in the org. Said that the situation was not unique to him and it happens to other guys across the league, mentioned some prospect from San Jose as an example.

He wasn't bashing the Jets or the org, just saying that if you are an NCAA bound player, being drafted is not all that and you might almost be better off being undrafted and signing as a UFA, he did mention the development and other positives of getting drafted.

Said that in his final exit meeting with the Jets, he wanted to be qualified, the GM told him "Jamie you did everything right, you earned an opportunity and we didn't give it to you". Said that he was so hard on himself during those years, thinking he was doing something wrong and wished someone had told him that earlier that he's doing everything right and that could have made all the difference for him mentally and going forward.

--------------------------------

Highly recommend watching the interview. Jamie comes across as a really good guy and highlights some of the rougher parts of being an NHL prospect.

Not to be mean, but Jamie Phillips sounds like the biggest crybaby.

He does not. It was a pretty good and fair interview if you listen to it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is the interview

Halfway through, here are some highlights:

On Buff:

Said he was sitting with Buff (who was sick with a cold) during a flight to Minny during the playoffs and was nervous. The flight got stuck for several hours due to a snow storm. Buff's phone died so Buff asked for his phone to watch some fishing videos and ate up all his data.

Said that Buff is a good guy.

On Winnipeg:

Lots of positive things to say about the employees at the Winnipeg Airport, said they were really nice to him esp when he was bouncing back and forth between AHL and ECHL. Said they made the process easier.

On Laine:

Said on a playoff trip when he was a Black Ace, he was on the bus, Laine was there he dropped a Louis Vutton dufflebag in front of Phillips and said "10k... don't touch", said that it made him feel really shitty and said he was thinking "what do you think I am gonna take your bag? I am on your team man, we're on a bus". Says that he bought a knock off version of that bag and uses it as motivation whenever he feels school is too hard to motivate himself.

On the Jets:

Said that getting drafted by the Jets was probably the worst thing that happened to him, said that he was a top-5 goalie in the NCAA in his final season but no one paid attention to him assuming he'd be signed by the Jets. Talked about how he was far behind other goalies in the org. Said that the situation was not unique to him and it happens to other guys across the league, mentioned some prospect from San Jose as an example.

He wasn't bashing the Jets or the org, just saying that if you are an NCAA bound player, being drafted is not all that and you might almost be better off being undrafted and signing as a UFA, he did mention the development and other positives of getting drafted.

Said that in his final exit meeting with the Jets, he wanted to be qualified, the GM told him "Jamie you did everything right, you earned an opportunity and we didn't give it to you". Said that he was so hard on himself during those years, thinking he was doing something wrong and wished someone had told him that earlier that he's doing everything right and that could have made all the difference for him mentally and going forward.

--------------------------------

Highly recommend watching the interview. Jamie comes across as a really good guy and highlights some of the rougher parts of being an NHL prospect.

He does not. It was a pretty good and fair interview if you listen to it.

Thanks for the synopsis.

I thought he played out all 4 years in college and could have signed with any team he wanted coming out of college.

He did get caught in a numbers game behind Comrie and a very hot Hutchinson during his time in the AHL.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Thanks for the synopsis.

I thought he played out all 4 years in college and could have signed with any team he wanted coming out of college.

He did get caught in a numbers game behind Comrie and a very hot Hutchinson during his time in the AHL.
He said that free agency for college players is in August compared to July 1st for the rest of the league putting you at a disadvantage. It also sounded like he didn't think he was going to get a lot of attention from other teams due to him already being drafted and everyone assuming the Jets would sign him. This type of thing probably applies more to goalie prospects as each team realistically can only have 2-3 signed goalie prospects at any one time. If his FA date was indeed in August then it makes sense to me that he'd wanna play it safe and sign with the Jets when offered a contract as opposed to risk losing out in the musical chairs for a free prospect goalie spot with some team.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Numbers game or not, Phillips certainly didn't take the opportunity he got and made them take notice that's for sure. Ppl will say what opportunity but that contract means you get a chance atleast to be given one. Jamie never really did much in the echl or ahl I believe when he had a brief stint.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Jamie has a great podcast if you are a goalie …. He is a very intelligent well spoken guy.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

To be fair... those ahl numbers aren't awful

They also aren't "I'm playing myself into the NHL" either. Small sample size, his numbers were worse in the Coast so I think he was right where he was supposed to be.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
It's seems to be universal. Every time a former player from a team says anything negative about their experience, you always hear some fans say " guy is a wiener" " he should just shut up" guy is a nobody ". "Crybaby " etc. Even if said player seemingly comes across as genuine. What? Do we only take seriously if said player was "somebody" ? It's as if fans take personal offense . " how dare they say anything bad about MY team. Is not a Jets thing. It's a sports thing. I'm not saying what he said is accurate or not. But please, at least LISTEN to the interview before making judgment or opinions. Would you rather a player lie about his experiences and say everything was hunky dorry when it was not?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4