Recalled/Assigned: Jets recall Connor Hellebuyck.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
See Toronto Maple Leafs ride the hot goalie. Hutch can play back to back. Just not the whole season. But it would be nice to see another goalie play.

Haven't seen evidence recently of Hutch being "hot" enough to warrant riding him in a B2B situation.
If/when Helle's starting, hope the team is able to tighten up the d a bit and doesn't hang the kid out to dry with a breakaway barrage initiation for his first game.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Haven't seen evidence recently of Hutch being "hot" enough to warrant riding him in a B2B situation.
If/when Helle's starting, hope the team is able to tighten up the d a bit and doesn't hang the kid out to dry with a breakaway barrage initiation for his first game.

If the team tries to play differently to "protect" the netminder that is a recipe for failure. The harder players are gripping the stick, the harder they are trying to cover for other people the worse they tend to play. You cannot change to compensate for player. That will hurt the team too much.

I don't get this worry about his "confidence". These are not 8 year old kids needing to be "protected". He is a pro player that isn't going to let something like a bad game hurt him.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
If the team tries to play differently to "protect" the netminder that is a recipe for failure. The harder players are gripping the stick, the harder they are trying to cover for other people the worse they tend to play. You cannot change to compensate for player. That will hurt the team too much.

I don't get this worry about his "confidence". These are not 8 year old kids needing to be "protected". He is a pro player that isn't going to let something like a bad game hurt him.

I disagree. Something like that might be just what the doctor ordered. It happens all the time in sports - a team rallys in the face of what you would expect to be a crippling loss due to injury. Heck, it happened to us last year when we lost our entire D corps...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I disagree. Something like that might be just what the doctor ordered. It happens all the time in sports - a team rallys in the face of what you would expect to be a crippling loss due to injury. Heck, it happened to us last year when we lost our entire D corps...

Rallying around a loss is vastly different than desperately trying to protect a player. If your on the ice worried that anything you let through will cost you it will affect your play in a very negative way. I don't think the Jets are that mentally weak obviously, just saying you don't change the way you player to "protect" other players you feel are weak. It's hard enough to just do your job, as soon as you try to cover someone else's you will fail at both covering his and doing yours.

And I fail to see how Pavelec is a "crippling loss". It just means our best current netminder is finally with the team.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay

Yeah I get that Holden. That was more of a commentary on my part regarding our style of play rather than a philosophy on compensating/protecting a player. Surely you can agree continuously allowing breakaways game after game isn't going to be a recipe for success for a team, let alone a goalie starting his first NHL game.
If nothing changes and breakaways are the norm then I'd hope he beasts and stops all the breakaways.

I'm not worried about his confidence. I just want him to succeed & I think less breakaways gives him (and the team) a better chance.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
:laugh: I saw this thread and assumed it was about Hellebuyck being recalled. I start reading the first page and everyone is talking about a game on Saturday, which makes sense because the game next Saturday is the second of a back-to-back. There was one comment about the end of the season but I just ignored that. Then I go to page 2 and there is a post from ME. Now I am thoroughly confused as I have not posted in this thread earlier today. Finally I notice the dates and feel foolish.
Can't we make new threads?! :rant: ;)

Hopefully Connor plays well if he gets a chance, I wonder what will happen if he is lights out. We have the space to possibly carry 3 goalies, but that isn't great. Trade maybe?

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
:laugh: I saw this thread and assumed it was about Hellebuyck being recalled. I start reading the first page and everyone is talking about a game on Saturday, which makes sense because the game next Saturday is the second of a back-to-back. There was one comment about the end of the season but I just ignored that. Then I go to page 2 and there is a post from ME. Now I am thoroughly confused as I have not posted in this thread earlier today. Finally I notice the dates and feel foolish.

Hopefully Connor plays well if he gets a chance, I wonder what will happen if he is lights out. We have the space to possibly carry 3 goalies, but that isn't great. Trade maybe?

not gonna lie I thought the same thing. Saw the thread and saw it was 5 pages long already and I thought to myself doesn't anyone around here have any lives. :laugh:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Fingers crossed Helle gets called up and stays up.......for many years. I hope he forces managements hand.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah I get that Holden. That was more of a commentary on my part regarding our style of play rather than a philosophy on compensating/protecting a player. Surely you can agree continuously allowing breakaways game after game isn't going to be a recipe for success for a team, let alone a goalie starting his first NHL game.
If nothing changes and breakaways are the norm then I'd hope he beasts and stops all the breakaways.

I'm not worried about his confidence. I just want him to succeed & I think less breakaways gives him (and the team) a better chance.

In general yes less breakaways is good. Doesn't relate to Hellebuyck in any way though as he is not the one that would be allowing breakaways. IMO.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
KhzuPRk.gif

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Don't see them trading Hellybuck and he is the only goalie of value.

Hutch may fetch a 5th round pick if a team loses their starter and requires a back up to their back up.

Pavs has negative value. The Jets would have to eat large chunks of his contract for him to go anywhere or take a bad contract in return. I don't see any trades.

IF Hellybuck is absolutelty lights out over 10+ games Hutch may go down but otherwise Hellebuck will rejoin the Moose when Pavs returns.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Yeah as has been said, this should be more concerning to Hutch than Pav. If Helle is as good as advertised, Hutch will be going....

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I honestly hope this is wrong, but I suspect it isn't.

Where would Pav go? Chevy is not burying a $3.9 million dollar goalie in the minors that was their starter up until yesterday.

Hutch makes $575 thousand -

Helle will only stay up if he is crazy good. Hutch would then go down. I am pretty sure Hutch would clear waivers.

If Helle is average he will return to the Moose. If he plays great Hutch's days in the NHL may be done.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yeah as has been said, this should be more concerning to Hutch than Pav. If Helle is as good as advertised, Hutch will be going....

I can't see Helle getting a game apart from the 2nd of the B2B. Entirely possible Hutch plays well in the others. Also possible that Hutch is just okay or worse.

Nothing is exact or on queue with tendy's.

It has been said that a goalie's first 15 games don't tell you anything but how long a leash he will get from there out. Better or worse won't necessarily show up over a small sample - especially when the net difference is one goal every three games on average.

Hutch may he great in hist first start - or he may not. Nobody knows.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Where would Pav go? Chevy is not burying a $3.9 million dollar goalie in the minors that was their starter up until yesterday.

Hutch makes $575 thousand -

Helle will only stay up if he is crazy good. Hutch would then go down. I am pretty sure Hutch would clear waivers.

If Helle is average he will return to the Moose. If he plays great Hutch's days in the NHL may be done.

Still don't understand the Hutch hate around here. Yeah, the 25 year old goalie on a cheap contract with a .916 career save % (note: Frederik Andersen career .917, only 6 months older) should be worried about his NHL future. :shakehead

If he's traded for a 5th round pick then.. :help:

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Wouldn't that be something if he went on a run and stole the Calder from a few of those frontrunners right now

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Still don't understand the Hutch hate around here. Yeah, the 25 year old goalie on a cheap contract with a .916 career save % (note: Frederik Andersen career .917, only 6 months older) should be worried about his NHL future. :shakehead

If he's traded for a 5th round pick then.. :help:

Well, I think it's more that if the Jets have to pick 1 goalie between Hutch and Pavs, many of us have no illusions about which one they'll keep.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Well, I think it's more that if the Jets have to pick 1 goalie between Hutch and Pavs, many of us have no illusions about which one they'll keep.

I would keep Hutch - not really a contest.

Although, I do agree that it's undecided as to what the team would do.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Hutch is more likely to be claimed off waivers than Pav is. Hutch is on a 1 way this year so the cost is the same, both have to be paid in full. Different for next year since Hutch expires. He can just be allowed to walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad